• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Foreigners Work In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that in a few years (3-5) we will see a number of foreign anime producers.
Places like Crunchyroll, Amazon, Netflix are actively investing in shows now, and part of that is going to committee meetings and being part of the production process.
Some of the people doing that now will probably end up being actual producers on series.
I also suspect that places like Netflix might try bringing in some high powered direction talent from around the world to be a series director for an original anime one day (a lot of directors would love to have that chance, right?).

So I think you'll continue to see foreigners coming in at lower level production positions, and an increase of foreigners coming in at top level positions. But in the middle, like episode directors, writers... those will continue to be few and far between.
crx07

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Toei Animation normally subcontracts in-betweening and finishing jobs to its subsidiary in the Philippines. But in very few cases, when Toei subcontracts an episode to Toei Phils, they also throw in the animation direction job to Toei Phils. This normally results to an episode where almost all animation frames and some background art are drawn by the animators of Toei Phils. Instead of the usual 3 or 4-character kanji names shown during ending credits, you see long katakana names that may stretch into 10 characters, especially on genga credits.

oOJonnyOo wrote:
Yū Kamiya whose real name is Thiago Furukawa Lucas is Brazilian and is well known for his work "No game no life" as many of u might know.
His pen name sounds really familiar to me. Yeah, he's the one who's accused of tracing.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Lea Hernandez chronicles her work with GAINAX in her web-serial Bani Garu:https://boingboing.net/2013/10/23/bani-garu-problems-from-the-s.html. Surely that counts? Or maybe that was a different time.....

She hasn't updated that in a long time. I wonder if she ran out of stories, or other things have taken precedence.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
oOJonnyOo wrote:
Yū Kamiya whose real name is Thiago Furukawa Lucas is Brazilian and is well known for his work "No game no life" as many of u might know.

Shocked Wow, I had no idea he was Brazilian born. Cool stuff. He seems like an interesting fellow based on the large number of pictures Google search pulls up.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well there's a first time for everything so I'm sure that one day a foreigner will rise though the ranks to become a writer/director of an Anime series. Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
I was surprised no one brought up LeSean Thomas, until a Google search told me he actually works at jM Studios in South Korea. Or at least he was there. His current project is helming his Kickstarted Cannon Busters anime at Satelight. I'm not sure if that "counts" as an American writing an anime, or as using an anime studio to produce an American work (since Cannon Busters is based on Thomas's own comic). Personally, I think it's a matter of semantics since its such a small production and he's obviously working very closely with the studio. I consider it an example of an American making an anime on a small scale.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
These three interviews discuss some of the work experience of foreign industry in Japan. I interviewed Cedric Herole, Scott McDonald, and Yann Le Gall:

http://4NN.cx/.87610
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
While not anime, there are a couple of people not from Japan who have designed Pokémon: The British James Turner and the Korean Lee HyunJung. Turner joined in Generation V and designed the Golett line, the Vanillite line, and the Vullaby line. He was originally brought in to Game Freak to program the camera for the spiral paths in Pokémon Black and White, but they were short on Pokémon late into production and brought him to design the remaining ones as the most available artist at the time. (I don't know if he is the same James Turner who makes the English-language Mameshiba books though.) I don't know quite as much about Lee as I haven't found any interviews the way I have with Turner, but I started seeing his name in Generation IV, and he designed the Shinx line, though I don't know what else.

You also have Greg Werner as a hardcore One Piece fan who now works at Shueisha. He writes weekly analysis articles for the manga on the official site and got started by out-hamming everyone on the One Piece-themed episodes of the trivia series Spear and Shield. (I do find it quite interesting that his wife is a Japanese woman who's as fluent in English as Greg is in Japanese and is into western media.)

Agent355 wrote:
I was surprised no one brought up LeSean Thomas, until a Google search told me he actually works at jM Studios in South Korea. Or at least he was there. His current project is helming his Kickstarted Cannon Busters anime at Satelight. I'm not sure if that "counts" as an American writing an anime, or as using an anime studio to produce an American work (since Cannon Busters is based on Thomas's own comic). Personally, I think it's a matter of semantics since its such a small production and he's obviously working very closely with the studio. I consider it an example of an American making an anime on a small scale.

If that's the case, then in a sense, Aaron McGruder (and a whole messload of others) would count as non-Japanese people to work on an anime series, as Madhouse did the animation for a huge chunk of The Boondocks, a deliberate decision according to the commentary to get that anime look and feel.
Brack

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
There's Gyarmath Bogdan, a producer at Toei, who is Romanian.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
It is not in Animation, but there is Dylan Cuthbert who worked at Nintendo and later founded Q-Games in Kyoto.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
I'm more interested in the audio side. As an audio/music guy, a small unattainable dream of mine has always been to want to mix the audio or write music for anime. (Not OP/ED stuff, background music.)
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:37 am Reply with quote
I came across Arias when researching for a Harmony review I'm writing. Even though I didn't like the film, I hope his directorial position opens up the market a bit. Anime has been stagnating for quite a bit, and some outside influence particularly in the arthouse sector could really jumpstart a new golden age...provided Japan doesn't continue to fight against releasing content online instead of sticking to DVDs.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
I'm more interested in the audio side. As an audio/music guy, a small unattainable dream of mine has always been to want to mix the audio or write music for anime. (Not OP/ED stuff, background music.)

Get an anime director or producer to like your stuff enough and be willing to work-for-hire and I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Anime OSTs are one of the least "integrated" parts of anime production, as they're usually ordered and created often while the animation has barely begun. As long as you could participate in review meetings I don't see many barriers at all when it comes to hiring a foreigner to do the job.

Mixing is done at one of the editing/post-pro studios here in Japan, not at the anime studio. So if you want to mix anime audio get a job at Sony PCL or Imagica... but be prepared to get paid terribly compared to the equivalent salary in the US.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
There's also Cindy Yamauchi. I can't remember if Cindy is half Japanese or entirely Japanese, but she was brought up in America, and she told me that she considered herself "an American working in the anime industry."
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:

There are probably more foreign composers within anime than any other part of the creation process, so I don't see that as being too unattainable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3