• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Foreigners Work In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
I'm more interested in the audio side. As an audio/music guy, a small unattainable dream of mine has always been to want to mix the audio or write music for anime. (Not OP/ED stuff, background music.)

As others have noted, that's PROBABLY both the easiest and toughest "in" for a foreigner for anime. "Easiest" because it's happened multiple times already (two notables I can think of off-hand are the Project A-Ko movie:
anime#61
And the first "Tenchi Muyo - in Love" movie
anime#230

(Check the names under "Music" for both)
I say "toughest" because I don't know if there's really a way to "work up" your way into that role, it seems more like the Japanese Director likes your stuff and just picks you out for some reason. (that may be completely wrong on how they're selected, but I don't think these collaborations originated on the musicians' side)
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why would Americans want to work on the anime industry. You can make alot more money doing the much easier design or animation work in US.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I'm not sure why would Americans want to work on the anime industry. You can make alot more money doing the much easier design or animation work in US.

While the US animation industry does offer higher payouts, it has been bogged down with the problem of being creatively stagnant in recent years.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Depends on which facets you're talking about. I don't consider the TV side of things creatively stagnant when it comes to channels like Cartoon Network or Disney Anime hyper, and I don't consider the movie side of things creatively stagnant when it comes to studios like Pixar or Blue Sky(when they're not doing something Ice Age related).
LightYapper

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody here is aspiring to be a key animator when I certainly do. So, I have a question: how hard is it for a foreigner to rack up the ranks in animation production by starting off as an in-betweener?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
I'm surprised nobody here is aspiring to be a key animator when I certainly do. So, I have a question: how hard is it for a foreigner to rack up the ranks in animation production by starting off as an in-betweener?

Probably slightly better than the odds if you were a native Japanese person, if only because you'd stand out more as a foreigner.

Actually though I read an article a while back (I don't have it handy) that actually listed the various career paths and what percent of what positions went on to what higher positions.
If you want to be a key animator the most common career path is starting as an "animator", not "in-betweener", I think maybe because in-betweening is harder to show people you can actually animate well since you don't have hardly any opportunity to show it off. It'd still be 99% your talent and hard work that'd get you there.

For those kinds of jobs though I really don't think your nationality matters much after you get the job. Doing your work well and on time is all they care about: There's no room for prejudice when time and budget is so tight! ... is what I'd like to say but I'm sure it depends on the individual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3