• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Lost in Anime Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
See, if today's column were a little later, Todd could have spoken about how WayForward is finally making Catgirl Without Salad for the Humble Subscription. Alas, deadlines are a cruel mistress.

As for Mighty No. 9... Jeez. Sure feel bad for the people who pledged. That game has been one misstep after another. Skullgirls managed to rise above all the crap that got tossed at it, at least.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The whole MN9 thing just demonstrates that perhaps a lot of CAPCOM's problems were in fact due to Inafune. It'd be hilariously ironic if after the game is released CAPCOM brings Mega Man out of cryo stasis and shows how little Inafune actually mattered to the franchise.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
The whole MN9 thing just demonstrates that perhaps a lot of CAPCOM's problems were in fact due to Inafune. It'd be hilariously ironic if after the game is released CAPCOM brings Mega Man out of cryo stasis and shows how little Inafune actually mattered to the franchise.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Inafune was the source of Capcom's problems, but Capcom is already doing stuff with Mega Man. I mean, they released that Mega Man compilation on every console.

If Capcom didn't care about Mega Man, the Archie comics and the new cartoon wouldn't be happening.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
There is also Mega Man 10, which was done largely without Inafune, whose critical reception in all fronts was that it didn't live up to Mega Man 9, though there's no consensus as to why, design-wise. It's hard to tell if it's because Inafune was absent, if Mega Man 9's appeal was in its novelty, or if it's some other factor, however.

As for me, I backed Mighty No. 9, and I am quietly waiting for the chance to play it. It's no high priority or anything though.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
There is also Mega Man 10, which was done largely without Inafune, whose critical reception in all fronts was that it didn't live up to Mega Man 9, though there's no consensus as to why, design-wise. It's hard to tell if it's because Inafune was absent, if Mega Man 9's appeal was in its novelty, or if it's some other factor, however.

As for me, I backed Mighty No. 9, and I am quietly waiting for the chance to play it. It's no high priority or anything though.

Mega Man 10 had terrible level design and music. It just came off as rushed sequel to cash-in on the success of 9.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

You are more accurate than you think. People like to credit Inafune as being the creator of Rockman, but he never was. The only classic game he actually directed/produced was 8 and X4. Well after what a lot of people considered the peak of the series and more of the stagnant decline. He joined as an artist late into the original game's production after the character was designed. Akira Kitamura is the series creator and Tokuro Fujiwara was producer for most of the classic games.

For whatever reason, Inafune has the benefit of being seen as the creator which results in a lot of blind trust by consumers and people will generally side with them when it comes to him having difficulties with Capcom. When you consider how many production issues seem to follow the man, whether it's Kaio, MN9, or his last few games with Capcom, I think there's more evidence than not that the issue is with him and not his parent company. Keeping mind Inafune was the one who wanted to turn Rockman into an FPS series and Capcom said no.

-Stuart Smith
KH91

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Just buy Azure Striker Gunvolt.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

I wouldn't go so far as to say Inafune was the source of Capcom's problems, but Capcom is already doing stuff with Mega Man. I mean, they released that Mega Man compilation on every console.

If Capcom didn't care about Mega Man, the Archie comics and the new cartoon wouldn't be happening.

He definitely contributed to them and was more than happy to spread them despite his opinions being self-loathing and pathetic. And while CAPCOM is doing stuff with MM, they've yet to commit to any sort of new Mega Man entry, whether it be the original series, X, or the other offshoots. It's almost serendipity that Inafune has bungled big time as now it opens them up to actually use the series without being accused of doing it without Inafune. My guess is a new entry won't be too far off.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most taxing of all, the game's backer audience went from elation over a Mega Man successor to the grudging admission that the game looked cheap and had the gameplay of an average Mega Man X outing. Now Mighty No. 9 sees that cruelest setback: lousy advertising.

Started from the top and now we here.

AiddonValentine wrote:
The whole MN9 thing just demonstrates that perhaps a lot of CAPCOM's problems were in fact due to Inafune.

I don't think Inafune was responsible for Megaman X6, Dino Crisis 3, The series of bad box featuring not megaman, or the other things Capcom oversaw and dropped the ball on.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Maybe they're trying to channel Bad Art Mega Man and his appearance in Street Fighter X Tekken.

That was meant to be a joke that people needlessly got wound up over this on the otherhand looks like it was made to disparage it's fanbase......which I'm kind of not too broken up about given most of the excessive butthurt that led to people blindlessly backing this game in the first place.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Capcom killed RE, re 6 was miserable and those terrible spin offs like umbrella chronicles weren't much better.

SF V, that is all.

Breath of Fire, whatever happened to that.

MM is just being released in wave after wave of collections, must of the megman games were available a long time ago on the gamecube and ps2 in collections.

No physical phoenix wright in the west, and we are long if a game does come along.

No creative IP since they shut down clover.

Basically Monster Hunter is all they put out these days.

Inafune might not be a saint but the only formerly great Japanese company that I would rate as worse is Konami, I think Square Enix is in the same ball park but a few things like Bravely Default have propped them up.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I posted the Sonic tweet on another forum. It took them a while to realize it was pizza.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Am I upset at the Mighty Number 9 trailer as a backer? No. It's not going to change the game I backed, it's a dumb trailer.

Whoever they got to do their marketing however needs to be evaluated. Who decided that crap was good?

Oh we have a Japanese-style game; let's insult people who would be interested in our game.

Does it change the same feel of me wanting to play it? No. The trailer really has nothing to do with the game; its just a dumb trailer. Geeze let's be honest here most people who were going to play it already bought it at this point and those who will buy it later probably will buy it because they watched a Let's Play.
...I learned a long time a go not to pay attention to trailers. Most the time I mute them or flip through them; good thing to do with this one (mute it; that guy's script it meh).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Capcom killed RE,

Someone better tell that the guys making the RE2 remake and those making the 7th game.

CrownKlown wrote:
SF V, that is all.

Pretty vague don't you think?

CrownKlown wrote:
Breath of Fire, whatever happened to that.

Made a divisive sequel that unlike the 6th Resident Evil game sold like crap that led to the series being put on hiatus for the next 12 years until they opted to make the 6th game.....for smartphones and web browsers.

CrownKlown wrote:

MM is just being released in wave after wave of collections,

Which isn't anything remotely new if Wily Wars, Complete Works (which never left Japan),and Anniversary Collection, are anything to go by. In other words the practice is older then you think and has a good reason behind it.

CrownKlown wrote:

No physical phoenix wright in the west, and we are long if a game does come along.

I wouldn't call a wait of 3-4 months long unlike the 4th game which we got nearly a year behind Japan. It being digital only isn't really much of a deal breaker unless you're apart of the anti digital pro physical crowd.

CrownKlown wrote:

No creative IP since they shut down clover.

Don't see what was lost there being none of Clovers games turned a profit......and also when we got Dragon's Dogma and Dead Rising post Clover's closure.

CrownKlown wrote:
Basically Monster Hunter is all they put out these days.

Well it is one of their best selling ips so....
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
That trailer... I mean yes the guy had a horrible script to read and he read it poorly. The gameplay in the trailer was just as bad though. Isn't this suppose to be a megaman successor? Since when was megaman entirely about dashing. I realize the dash is massively important in X/Z/ZX games, but it seems they took it from being one took in your kit to the be all end all game mechanic. That looks so tedious and monotonous.

Oh well, that is why I don't back games. Theres enough games actually worth my money so why bother taking a gamble, especially on a has been.

Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
Mighty No. 9 faced all sorts of problems. ... A nonsensical controversy erupted about sexism.

This is definitely a completely accurate summary of something that actually happened. Even when Todd Ciolek feels strongly about something he reports impartially and lets his readers make up their own minds.

I feel like I missed something there.
macattack

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
Fronzel is using sarcasm. What happened for real is a loooooooong story.

The short version was that Comcept hired a community manager who quickly became abusive to the forumgoers she was supposed to oversee. There were copious bannings. There were also charges that nepotism was behind her hiring as she was the girlfriend of one of the higher level people at Comcept. Naturally the counterargument was that criticism of her was sexist.

Todd can say what he wants. But he was never actually there at the forum to witness it happening and get banned for questioning why someone got banned for a seemingly innocuous statement. If he was he can correct me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3