• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Lost in Anime Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Fronzel is using sarcasm. What happened for real is a loooooooong story.

The short version was that Comcept hired a community manager who quickly became abusive to the forumgoers she was supposed to oversee. There were copious bannings. There were also charges that nepotism was behind her hiring as she was the girlfriend of one of the higher level people at Comcept. Naturally the counterargument was that criticism of her was sexist.

Todd can say what he wants. But he was never actually there at the forum to witness it happening and get banned for questioning why someone got banned for a seemingly innocuous statement. If he was he can correct me.

I was pretty sure he was being sarcastic. I just wasn't sure why. I knew about the psycho community manager banning people, but I didn't hear the accusation that she only got the job due to nepotism before so I didn't think that was related to a sexism controversy. Thanks for the quick explanation.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Capcom killed RE, re 6 was miserable and those terrible spin offs like umbrella chronicles weren't much better.

SF V, that is all.

Breath of Fire, whatever happened to that.

MM is just being released in wave after wave of collections, must of the megman games were available a long time ago on the gamecube and ps2 in collections.

No physical phoenix wright in the west, and we are long if a game does come along.

No creative IP since they shut down clover.

Basically Monster Hunter is all they put out these days.

Inafune might not be a saint but the only formerly great Japanese company that I would rate as worse is Konami, I think Square Enix is in the same ball park but a few things like Bravely Default have propped them up.

Except making broad statements does nothing but illustrate that most people who bash CAPCOM are doing so blindly with zero nuance or knowledge. Fact of the matter is that most of those criticisms you sling are things that Inafune would have been behind 100%. If anything CAPCOM has been doing some reexamination and seeing what to do next.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally, E-Sports/E-League getting big nowadays.

ESPN already aired some tournaments, but now it's going weekly primetime TV series on TBS starting tonight:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/25/business/media/eleague-adapts-tv-to-the-gaming-sensibility.html

Even the PAC-12 will become the first major NCAA conference to start an E-Sports league between universities:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/273561/Pac12_athletic_conference_to_host_collegiate_eSports_tournaments.php
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
That makes me sad.

ESports are not real sports. They're fake sports.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

That makes me sad.

Some people just call 'em E-Competition.
Like Go and Chess, and those have Olympiads
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday, Pacy! Smile
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

That makes me sad.

That I don't mind. To me, sport is always a physical activity. Competition takes a multitude of forms.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

That I don't mind. To me, sport is always a physical activity. Competition takes a multitude of forms.

Chess is classified as a sport by the Olympics though. Laughing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports

And there's this too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/crosswords/chess/making-the-case-for-chess-as-an-olympic-sport.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/chess/11677916/Chess-at-the-Olympics.html

• The IOC does recognise chess as a sport, but will it be accepted at Tokyo 2020?

even though it was an exhibition sport at Sydney in 2000.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Kickstarters are the way, they said. Let this be a lesson never to throw money on wash ups who sweet talk you into making a game that will rattle your nostalgia goggles. Even Shenmue 3 won't be safe from the MN9 outcome. Inafune and Comcept owe the backers quite a bit of compensation from all the bull that's happened out of this.

Pandora's Tower could've stood alongside Xenoblade and Last Story, but for all its interesting concepts, the gameplay just wasn't up to par and is by definition very unpolished.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
To me, the latest Mighty No. 9 trailer is definitely the best one. Voice acting in it is excellent. So there are no problems with this trailer.
Mighty No. 9 is definitely coming out on June 21, 2016 and that's it.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So what's your favorite piece of Pac-Man history?

Pac-Man came out when I was two years old, so it was one of those things that was just an inescapable part of my childhood. I've never been particularly good at it though, since I spent most of my time (and my mom's quarters) on other games when we went to the pizza parlor or other places with arcade games. Nor have I ever played any of the post-arcade console games, though the one described in the article sounds pretty amusing. I suppose my most enduring memory of Pac-Man video games is the Atari 2600 version. Santa gave me a 2600 for Christmas in 1984 - my first game console - and it had Pac-Man bundled in with it. Of course I look back now and it's obvious how bad it was, but for a six year old kid who never got to play games at home before and didn't know better, it was a treat just to have it, and I played it a lot for the first year or two that I had the console, even after I had a decent-size game library. My "favorite" piece of the Pac-Man juggernaut, though, is the board game. It's easily the best of the many video-to-board game adaptations that I've tried, and I have a lot of fond memories of 3-and-4-player games with my parents and my sister. I gave away most of my board game collection when I started high school, and that's one of the ones I most regret not keeping.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I think my favorite non-traditional Pac-Man game was Pac-Man World for the original PlayStation. It was a classic 3D platformer in the ubiquitous form that came in the wake of Mario 64, but it had solid mechanics and really fantastic aesthetics, basically acting like a love letter to all things Namco. (One boss fight had you basically playing Galaxian/Galaga.) It included a more classic mode with a bunch of 3D-rendered traditional maze levels to play around with, too. I think we owned the sequel for the PS2, but at first glance it didn't really draw me in too much, so I never spent much time with it.

(Oh jeez...I just realized that Pac-Man World was made for the yellow guy's 20th birthday, and now he's 36? I'm oooollllldddd!)

And those pizza explosions on the Sonic tweet make me lol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Quote:

So what's your favorite piece of Pac-Man history?

Pac-Man came out when I was two years old, so it was one of those things that was just an inescapable part of my childhood. I've never been particularly good at it though,

I kicked ass till my palms almost bleed! Laughing

Also, Overwatch released last week, and it sold out on Amazon for both PS4 and XB1

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3