• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Youth in Re-Voltes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Avengers Assemble had an episode where Hulk and Thor fought over cookies made by Falcon's mom.

...Yeah.

Weak counterargument. Every show has its bits of humor here and there, so citing one example doesn't mean all of Assemble is automatically bad. The Avengers aren't allowed to have a little fun with their lives and show that they can live normally like everyone else? Regardless, Disk Wars is still garbage in comparison. Random anime style kids will never catch 'em all you know.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Stuff like that is pretty much every episode. There's a reason everyone groaned when Man of Action was announced to be doing the new Megaman cartoon.

And that's why those shows aren't part of the bizarre political allegory that Voltes is.

I just really want the new Voltron to be good. My theory was that Korra's failures rested on Bryke, and with them out of the way the show should work. Of course, considering that the previous attempts was a CG show so poorly written Tim Curry couldn't save it, and a show which didn't realize that super robots have existed and pushed the genre for about 30 years after Voltron first hit airwaves, it shouldn't be hard to be better than those. Even if Lance is essentially Sokka.
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
Good luck with the Daimos ones, I remembered seeing legit VCD and VHS copies of the English dub over 10 years ago in a local rental store in the Philippines.

I think I saw rips of Daimos' English dub on YouTube and on some places online. Speaking of Daimos, it will soon get a new Filipino dub along with Voltes V. I can't wait to see a new generation of kids screaming "Let's Volt In!"
jtron

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Great article! Also good to hear from people in the comments who grew up over there.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks so much for this article, Mike. I feel like people tend to ignore Nagahama a lot, so it's good to see you spreading the good word. (And Leiji Matsumoto's praises get sung a little too often, IMO.) Lord Geo already said much of what I was gonna say, so I'll stop.

Quote:
In fact, I remember when Nozomi first put out Rose of Versailles those couple of years ago, & the seeming general consensus from reviews was that one had to simply get through the Nagahama-directed episodes in order to get to the "really good stuff" that Osamu Dezaki directed. To most of the reviewers, Tadao Nagahama was just some relative nobody compared to the legendary Osamu Dezaki.

It didn't help that Dezaki came on right when the events of the show itself started to pick up. I feel like those latter 22 episodes would be nothing without Nagahama's involvement. Anyhow, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
One can only imagine what else Nagahama could have continued doing had he not passed away.

It truly was tragic that he died at such a young age. He already gave us so much, though. One show that wasn't mentioned in this article was Kyojin no Hoshi, which he directed. This show basically was television in Japan when it aired, and it's a shame that it has yet to be subbed, whether officially or by fans.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Voltes V and Daimos were my favorites as a kid. I didn't realize that those series were my first exposure to anime until years later. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2