• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Politics Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevruth
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
That's a good point. I don't know that much about how the Libertarian party works, but Gary Johnson is very interesting (and as the former governor of New Mexico, arguably has more executive experience than any other candidate) A lot more people will be paying attention to him than a third party candidate would get in any other year.

He ran in 2012, but some states refused to put him on the ballet, based on my understanding. He scraped by with only about 1% of the vote, but maybe we'll see a surge this year. I think a lot of people are still too afraid of their vote not counting to vote 3rd party though.

In all the latest polls, Gary Johnson is receiving 10% of the vote when put up against Trump and Clinton/Sanders.

As a Libertarian myself, I was really miffed at the exclusion of Libertarian candidates like Johnson or John McAfee. I had to answer a lot of "no response".
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
kevruth wrote:
In all the latest polls, Gary Johnson is receiving 10% of the vote when put up against Trump and Clinton/Sanders.

Just to be clear about "all the latest polls," Johnson received a surprising ten percent in just one poll by Fox. Only two other polling organizations have included him in their national polling. He received four percent in a poll by Public Policy Polling (with Green Party candidate Jill Stein getting two percent), and five percent in a Quinnipiac poll with Stein receiving three percent. I see the Fox result as an outlier.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gary-johnson-polls_us_574f0fdce4b0eb20fa0c6ba2
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
kevruth wrote:

As a Libertarian myself, I was really miffed at the exclusion of Libertarian candidates like Johnson or John McAfee. I had to answer a lot of "no response".

Ditto. I always feel like representation is a bit lower than it should be. Or maybe it's because I can agree with anyone on at least something, and thusly think there are more like-minded people than there actually are.

yuna49 wrote:
kevruth wrote:

Just to be clear about "all the latest polls," Johnson received a surprising ten percent in just one poll by Fox. Only two other polling organizations have included him in their national polling. He received four percent in a poll by Public Policy Polling (with Green Party candidate Jill Stein getting two percent), and five percent in a Quinnipiac poll with Stein receiving three percent. I see the Fox result as an outlier.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gary-johnson-polls_us_574f0fdce4b0eb20fa0c6ba2

I always get the feeling that polls like this are a bit inflated. People in these polls answer more honestly than they do at the actual precinct, if that makes sense. In a poll like this they have nothing to lose by going with their heart, when they actually get to the voting booth, they seem to be more likely to vote for the lesser of two evils out of fear or whatever. So anyway, I'm just being pessimistic and assuming even 4% is a bit high. Though I'll do my part.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I wish that I could see the votes by the people who were born before the 13th century and, even more important, those from the future.

I am very happy that I am not the only person who voted for Haruhi Suzumiya.
I find it interesting that she got more votes than all but one of the serious candidates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The poll is hilarious! Voted for Justin Sevakis.

Ditto! It was a difficult choice between Justin and Zac, but ultimately the former struck me as being hungrier for victory. Or at least hungrier in general.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I wish that I could see the votes by the people who were born before the 13th century and, even more important, those from the future.

I delete those answers periodically, and at the end of the survey.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
You know what's messed up with the primaries? Caucuses. Razz
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Any particular reason the serious superdelegate question didn't have a "has problems but is necessary" option? Because I'm in that camp, 15% is too much, but you can't give a general population complete control on everything (especially when global academic statistics don't favor America).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Any particular reason the serious superdelegate question didn't have a "has problems but is necessary" option?

Because there are literally 7.405 billion different answers that people could have given, and we didn't feel like coming up with all of them. We could have stopped with any different number, but 2 seemed good.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
The poll is hilarious! Voted for Justin Sevakis.

Ditto! It was a difficult choice between Justin and Zac, but ultimately the former struck me as being hungrier for victory. Or at least hungrier in general.

I agree, going by his twitter posts I catch, Justin does often seem hungrier between the two lol. Nothing wrong with loving good food. Ask my waistline. But I think Zac has that killer take no prisoners hungry for victory House of Cards mentality. So he got my vote. Plus he appreciates good scotch.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
So he got my vote. Plus he appreciates good scotch.

I did not know that! But we find ourselves in a woeful political state, do we not, if the election of men into offices of power is decided by the metric of their preferred means of self-intoxication.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
we find ourselves in a woeful political state [...] if the election of men into offices of power is decided by the metric of their preferred means of self-intoxication.

What truer method of determining a person's character is there?

Last edited by Tempest on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
we find ourselves in a woeful political state [...] if the election of men into offices of power is decided by the metric of their preferred means of self-intoxication.

What truer method of determining a person's character is there?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry over that sentiment! Confused
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Laugh, crying never helped anything. Laughing at least makes you feel better.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Was a little disappointed that the major Libertarian candidates that I follow, like Gary Johnson, weren't on the list.
Also that in the "What Best Describes You?" question, there wasn't any option for Libertarian. Which would generally be further left than most democrats on social issues, and further right than most Republicans on fiscal issues.

I would have voted for McAffe before anybody else (yep, the anti virus developer was a prospective candidate for the Libertarian Party).

The dichotomy left-right is complete nonsense in modern politics. It emerged back in the 18th century when the new ideas of the enlightenment were gaining ground and the defenders of these ideas were called left wing while the defenders of the existing aristocratic social order were called right wing.

Interestingly, in economic terms the modern left is close to the old right in the idea that the state should allocate resources instead of the decentralized market order which was defended by the old left and in the US now is regarded as a right wing position: In the 18th century the idea of a market based economy was a radical left wing position. Now the radical left wing position is for the state to take possession of all property and supress all spontaneous market forces, which was the way things were during feudalism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3