• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pandora Hearts

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
So, now that the final volume is available in English, I'm marathon reading Pandora Hearts, from the beginning. I haven't read the series fully before (I think I've gotten a bit further than halfway), but I did get through the big reveal that spoiler[Oz is actually B-Rabbit].

Taking that knowledge into the first volume, and I certainly picked up on a lot of subtle wording that indicates that Mochizuki knew right from the start where she intended to go with the story.

For example, in the first chapter, when Oz spoiler[has the vision of him and Lacie], the wording is careful not to give anything away, but when you know the reveal, it gives a lot of depth to that scene.

Another one came in volume 3, where Break flat-out says spoiler[that he only has a year to live]. When the event happened down the road, I was shocked, but now I realize that I should have seen it coming.

I've only re-read through volume 3 (1/8 of the way done!), but I'll add more comments as I notice things.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm also planning on doing the same once I get all the volumes so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts too. I can't remember how far I've read.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
From checking chapter titles on Wikipedia, I think I'd stopped somewhere around volume 17. So I've still got 9 volumes to go to catch up (I just finished volume 8... I'm a fast reader when I put my mind to something), and then 8 volumes after that that are brand new to me.

I'm surprised, on my re-reading, of how fast things have gone. In 8 volumes, we're already through the stuff with Cheshire, learning about Jack, and learning Break's past. I never really thought about how (relatively) early those come. Although, I suppose, it was all covered in the anime, so...

Another thing I'm realizing, is that the pacing is totally different from what I remembered. I got into the series with the anime, then scanlations of the manga, before either were licensed for the US. Waiting a week between episodes, or a month before chapters, makes it feel like things take much further to get to. But Cheshire was volumes 4 and 5, which, IIRC, were about the halfway point of the anime. And maybe that's why it feels like they should be further in, rather than a 6th of the way into the series.

Oh, well, back to reading!
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm into volume 17 now.

Even knowing how it turned out, and specifically watching for clues, I did not see the spoiler[Headhunter/Humpty Dumpty] arc foreshadowed at all. I did, however, looking closer to 16/17, pick up clues as to spoiler[Jack not being completely trustworthy], although, given the type of series this is, I likely picked up on that the first time around as well.

One thing I do have to point out, since it's been bugging me all volume so far (I'm halfway through 17), is that I'm 99% certain that spoiler[the incarnation of Glen before Oswald] is Robes from KIBA with his hair dyed blue.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I just finished 24, and all I can say is "wow"... That wasn't the ending I was expecting. It wasn't bad, just not what I expected.

A couple things that bugged me, now that I've finished the series:
1) We never spoiler[learned who/what Emily was]. It would have been nice if spoiler[it were a memento of Shelly's], or even spoiler[the Rainsworth Key, that Shelly had hidden for Break to safeguard]. When spoiler[he had a look of surprise on his face when Lilly brought Emily to him (despite not being able to see it)], I thought for sure that spoiler[Emily was important, and that we'd learn its importance], but it was never brought up.
2) What was spoiler[Oz's answer to Break's question of where he was]? Bringing it up again, and then spoiler[not giving us Oz's answer the second time] was just evil.

The epilogue of the series, though, was perfect. I'm very glad I got into the series all those years ago, and I'm very satisfied with how it ended. And, of course, I still have the 3 volumes of Caucus Race to read.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Pandora Hearts is one of my favorite manga series and I love Jun Mochizuki's artwork. I plan on re-reading the series once I buy the rest of the volumes. It's been a while since I last read it, so I need to refresh my memory.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Watching the first episode of the anime, I'm realizing that I misunderstood some of the early scenes.

When spoiler[Oz gets his vision of the two Alice after finding the pocketwatch], it wasn't spoiler[him as B-Rabbit they were welcoming back]. It was spoiler[him as Jack they were welcoming back].

Something else I realized wasn't explained (or wasn't explained enough, at least), is spoiler[where exactly was the mansion for the Coming of Age ceremony, and what was its significance]? We know that spoiler[it's 200 years old, predating the Tragedy of Sablier], and that spoiler[Lacie's grave is there]. But spoiler[it doesn't seem to be Glen's home, since that was in Sablier, not the outskirts of Reveille], and spoiler[the Baskerville door was at Glen's home, and that wasn't this mansion].
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Watching the first episode of the anime, I'm realizing that I misunderstood some of the early scenes.

When spoiler[Oz gets his vision of the two Alice after finding the pocketwatch], it wasn't spoiler[him as B-Rabbit they were welcoming back]. It was spoiler[him as Jack they were welcoming back].

Something else I realized wasn't explained (or wasn't explained enough, at least), is spoiler[where exactly was the mansion for the Coming of Age ceremony, and what was its significance]? We know that spoiler[it's 200 years old, predating the Tragedy of Sablier], and that spoiler[Lacie's grave is there]. But spoiler[it doesn't seem to be Glen's home, since that was in Sablier, not the outskirts of Reveille], and spoiler[the Baskerville door was at Glen's home, and that wasn't this mansion].

u may have found a plot hole Shocked i assumed it was the vessalius mansion.. but why would L's grave be there.. it shouldn't have exist anymore because of the tragedy
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
We know it wasn't the Vessalius manor, because it was mentioned that the mansion was only used for coming-of-age ceremonies, and no one lived there. Plus, Oz wouldn't care about exploring if it were his home.
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:58 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
We know it wasn't the Vessalius manor, because it was mentioned that the mansion was only used for coming-of-age ceremonies, and no one lived there. Plus, Oz wouldn't care about exploring if it were his home.

I assumed they were only playing around and hiding from his nanny.. i still remember poor gil got the blame Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Gin-No-Ji wrote:
I assumed they were only playing around and hiding from his nanny.. i still remember poor gil got the blame :D

Nah, they were exploring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1