• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Servamp (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Taking bets on Mahiro's uncle--vampire, vampire hunter, or ultimate villain?

I already placed my bet. Wink
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Right now I'm betting Mahiru's uncle is Tsubaki's sensei. He's gotta be somebody important with that hair.

Btw, do we know what happened to Mahiro's dad? If they told us I can't remember, so I was wondering if C3 guy might've been talking about Mahiro.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6 I'm so confused. Was the ending to episode 5 conclusive? I could have sworn that it ended on a cliffhanger, with Mahiro and Kuro just about to escape from C3 together. But episode 6 starts with the three Servamp/Eve pairs who get along (Kuro & Mahiro, Tetsu & Pride, Misono & Lily) lounging around Tetsu's family's hot spring resort. WTH?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
No, they escaped on Mahiro's broom and were falling from the sky across a display screen of Pianoman, with Hedgehog saying he'd found his brother as Kuro crossed his line of sight.

I know how you feel though. I think it was that cryptic comment that made it feel like something unfinished.

So I guess all the characters aren't in the ED because they just keep piling up. Sad I'm going to have to start taking notes. This is why I hate series that use the 7 Sins as a trope - always way too many characters to keep straight. I have trouble just naming all the sins, and then I have to figure out what behavior is earning the name for each character (there's too much overlap in what's bad about them. Basically they're all just Greed for specific things, like food, sex, public image, anger, other people's stuff or leisure).

Anyway, it was a good episode. Smile I might have to rewatch from the beginning to really make sense of it from here.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
Good to know that i'm not the only one who enjoys this show but is also midly confused by it. Smile

I'm still unclear about what the different factions are actually aiming for, aside from wanting to kill each other and i'm not quite sure if this is because i missed something or because it hasn't been revealed, yet...

That being said, i like that there's no clear line between the good and bad guys at this point: Tsubaki appears to be a lot more complex than he appeared in the beginning, he seems to care a lot about his "family" for example while some of the other Servamps turned out to be just as crazy/violent as him. Then there's C3 whom Lawless called "neutral" in this ep., but i clearly recall the C3 guy saying that all vampires must die which iisn't exactly a neutral kind of attitude in my book.

Anyway, special kudos to the mangaka for coming up with a brilliant name like Licht Jekylland Todokori. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

As troublesome as I had found parts up to now, this episode felt like it had some big problems. I really did not think of last episode being left unresolved, but I definitely felt like this one started really confusingly, like I had missed something and I had to check that I had watched the previous episode. Really the whole plot felt like a mess where it kind of came across a bit too much like going from scene to scene without some proper transition. It felt like things just kept coming out of nowhere, like all the alliance stuff

And I am going to bring up the nature of the sins, I mentioned last week that they made Sloth act out of character by moving quickly for food, but I cannot see where any of Greed's personality fits into that sin. I could maybe understand with a couple others, like how in Trinity Seven actually acts the opposite of their sin, or in how in The Seven Deadly Sins they appear to be the opposite of their sin at first, but this show has been super inconsistent. They do seem to have a handle at giving some of the sin traits to characters, one being lazy, one prideful, and another lustful (flirt), but it really comes across that they don't know how to write for these characters within the restraints they have used.

I... I am just not enjoying this as much as I would like, there are some okay elements, but it is like there is this vein of problems that has kind of poisoned it for me. I don't think it is the worst one of this, I think that Sacred Rider Xechs is far more guilty of poor writing, an after being in a bad mood of watching an episode of that, Servamp has not been helping.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
Greed is known to kill his Eves, which I first took to mean that he was unusually greedy for their blood, but then they said he just gets "bored" of them and wants a new one. I suppose that's a greedy motivation as well.

Licht Jekylland Todoroki...apparently Jekylland was his mother's maiden name, and he named Greed "Hyde" when he made the contract with him. Cute. I liked the names of Greed's subclass, Gildenstern, and Licht's manager Rosen Krantz even better than Greed's seemingly random use of lines from Shakespeare during his fight with Sloth.

So, as confused as I was yesterday, I went off to some Wikis and ended up with tons of spoilers. There's definitely stuff they haven't revealed yet, and the level of revelation each episode is coming across as particularly confusing and poorly paced as a result. In this episode, Greed explains that C3 asked the 7 Deadly Vampire Siblings to kill a certain person. 3 were against it, 3 for it, and Sloth (the eldest) was the tiebreaker. That incident had lasting effects that separated the siblings into factions and hurt their relationship. spoiler[Tsubaki is the 8th sibling, Melancholy, and his goal is to take revenge on his older siblings based on the outcome of that incident. This show is so confusing that I'm not even sure if this is a true spoiler or not.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Then I guess he's greedy for stimulation. Blood, violence, mayhem, chaos, whatever isn't boring.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
there's too much overlap in what's bad about them. Basically they're all just Greed for specific things, like food, sex, public image, anger, other people's stuff or leisure

I haven't seen this really come up directly in any series I've seen that uses the 7 sins, but pride was considered the original or most serious sin. It's viewed as a prerequisite of sorts to the other sins. FMA:B did have a nod to this, though, with Pride being the strongest and first of the homunculi. For this show, the whole sins thing feels pretty tacked on so far - I'm not seeing any significance and often there doesn't even seem to be any relevance at all.

I still think the show is a lot better when it's being goofy, but I feel like the darker elements were better handled this episode. So, I'd say the episode is an improvement, even with how disjointed the episode feels, especially at the beginning. It's still trying too hard, though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
I've read similar things, but it's hard for me to see how Pride results in the other sins, unless it's the idea that if you think too much of yourself, you think you have a right to indulge all the other things? Seems like a stretch. Greed or Lust seem more like potential sources of the others, if you don't limit lust to sex. But it still affirms my feeling that the sins overlap too much to be so iconic as a Group, rather than just general admonitions not to be greedy or prideful or let your temper get the best of you.

Are there 7 Saving Virtues? I'd guess Humility, Thrift, Temperance, Chastity, Love, Industry (in the sense of working hard), and Generosity? If so, how come we never see those? Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
So i caved in and got my hands on the manga and since i'm currently on sick leave, was able to binge-read them fairly quickly and i have to say that the anime left out a lot which made it unnecessarily confusing.

Now i understand that part of this might be due to the fact that there's only going to be 12 episodes while there are 10 volumes (6 translated to English so far) of manga out there and they probably wanted to concentrate on what they considered to be the most important characters/plot points...but they also simply altered some things for no apparent reason, like for example in the manga we immediately find out that it was the C3 guy's spoiler[ father who was killed by a vampire] while the anime seems to be treating it like some kind of big secret (almost everyone was able to figure out anyhow...) for whatever reason.

As for the "Seven Deadly Sins" part, that seems to be more of a gimmick than anything meaningful (unless the significance of it somehow went way over my head, which occassinally happens when i'm reading too fast... Wink ).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I decided to rewatch the first 7 episodes before I had to rewatch the whole thing. Smile I think things are making more sense now.

My current theory is that spoiler[Mahiro's uncle is not only Tsubaki's "sensei," but that he created all of the Servamps with C3 (if not him, then Mahiro's father, who we still haven't even heard mentioned at all).] My alternate theory, which I have no idea how it would work, is that somehow spoiler[Mahiro created Tsubaki out of his childhood misery. That's surely wrong, but I can't shake the idea that Tsubaki being the Servamp of Melancholy is somehow related to how sad and supressed little Mahiro was. Maybe he was supposed to be Mahiro's Servamp, but went crazy first?] (fyi, there are no manga spoilers in that, just me musing on the anime)

I wonder if this will go on long enough to supply any answers. In the meantime, I made this handy-dandy excel sheet to sort everybody out. Smile

Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
@Gina: you sure got some interesting theories. Smile And there should definitely be more excel sheets for anime with too many confusing characters...with too many (odd) names! Btw, Tsubaki's animal form is a fox.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Gah, yeah, I knew that. >.< He's got so many blanks already, I didn't notice that one. Once the other Sins and their Eves show up, I'll fix that (and add the C3 guys, who I forgot I was going to do).

Just now typing that sentence pissed me off as I suddenly realized why they're pointedly called Eves rather than just masters, or something less blamey. Evil or Very Mad
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Having a regular servamp at home would probably be too much of a bother, but i'd take little-Kuro-in-a-ball any day.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kuro obviously prefers it in there. But if Mahiru started waving some of his favorite snackfoods over him, I think he'd be strongly motivated to come out. Smile

So Mahiru, we need to talk. I get that you want to trust people, but when someone greets you at the door and wants you (even by mistake) to drink a beaker of acid-melted doll head, it's probably a good idea to pass on anything else they try to feed you.

Can't say I recognized that version of The Lion and the Unicorn. Wonder where the bit about "some gave them no flower" came from?

The version I know:

The Lion [England] and the Unicorn [Scotland] were fighting for the crown.
The Lion beat the Unicorn all about the town.
Some gave them white bread and some gave them brown,
Some gave them plum cake and drummed them out of town.

I wonder who the Unicorn represents in Miku's poem?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4