• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweetness & Lightning (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote

Sweetness & Lightning (Amaama to Inazuma) (TV)

Genres: slice of life
Themes: cooking, parenting

Plot Summary: Math teacher Kōhei Inuzuka is a widow with a young daughter named Tsumugi. Inuzuka isn't adept in the kitchen but with the help of his student Kotori Iida and his daughter, he embarks on a culinary adventure.
----------------------------------

One of the cutest previews I've seen this year Wink

This looks really charming especially with the slice of life when combing with elements of cooking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Wonderful, I got everything from what I had expected.

Cute characters, realism, great chemistry between all the characters especially the father/daughter. And the food looks natural too, nothing too extraordinarily but just the right way it is. OP and ED theme songs are nice, the atmospheric setting feels good, and this was just perfect. Can't wait for Mondays each week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
All the feels? ALL the FEELS!

This was an amazing first episode, Tsumugi manner in which she says "oto-san" is just so sweet, the uncommon setting is certainly a breath of fresh as well.

The premiere episode will be contender for best first ep of the season and I certainly hope the series can follow up to what should be a fun run.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
All they did was cook rice. So why am I crying? Crying or Very sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Okay, this is going to be one of those shows, definitely going to be one of the best this season. At least the first episode was nice, must admit I got a bit teary eyed there.

I think one of the best parts of the episode was how it communicated what kohei was thinking without ever actually having him say it. Simply that he is tired, but he wants to do anything he can for his daughter, that he knew the boxed meals were not a good enough meal for her and that if anything he was going to make her happy with getting a proper one. That moment where he sees her stuck to the TV about cooking and asking him to send a letter to her mother for her to make nice food, it was too much, how could I not love this.

The one worry is about the student asking to continue eating meals with him, but so far I will give the benefit to the doubt that it has more to do loneliness of her mother being busy, that it is platonic. These little girls being voiced by actual young girls is always welcome in upping the cuteness factor.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Ahh. It was so warm, so delightful. I definitely liked the first episode and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Fav so far for this season Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
If wonder if the inevitable teacher/student romance will put people off. Well, at least they don't need to worry about the man getting involved with the child when she's older.

It's as cute and touching as one would expect. Though I could never eat plain white rice by itself. Also, way to remember your students, dude.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
While watching this it appeared to me that the same word (it sounds like gohand) was translated as "Food" in one place and as "Rice" in another. Is this correct or am I miss hearing something? I can see where rice may be so important to the Japanese diet as to be synonymous with food, but I think it would be a bit confusing at times.

@Vaisaga
I also found it odd that other than a little sake in the cooking water that no attempt was made to season the rice. Would the Bentos he bought really have been so bad that simple plain rice was an improvement?? It reminds me of a co-worker who ate unseasoned slices of cold baked potato for lunch. At least he left the skin on.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If wonder if the inevitable teacher/student romance will put people off.

If it happens, it won't bother me. In the real world things are a bit more complicated, but in fiction we know whether their feelings are genuine or not. In fact I'd rather have them go that direction than not have any romance at all. I know some viewers will say that not every show needs to have romance, but bleh. Love makes the world go round and all that!

Vaisaga wrote:
Though I could never eat plain white rice by itself.

But it was really, really good rice!

Alan45 wrote:
It reminds me of a co-worker who ate unseasoned slices of cold baked potato for lunch. At least he left the skin on.

Wow, that's kinda hardcore.

Eh, I like rice. If I was really hungry I'd rather eat rice than baked potatoes or pasta. Particulary if it's that Asian kind of rice.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
While watching this it appeared to me that the same word (it sounds like gohand) was translated as "Food" in one place and as "Rice" in another. Is this correct or am I miss hearing something? I can see where rice may be so important to the Japanese diet as to be synonymous with food, but I think it would be a bit confusing at times.

Yes, gohan can mean both "(cooked) rice" and "a meal" (bangohan=supper, made up of the words for night and meal/rice). I think in conversation, the intended meaning would be understood by Japanese speakers from the context.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
@lys

Thanks for the confirmation. Picking up on stuff like this is why I prefer to watch most shows subbed. A friend is studying Japanese and she uses the word "context" a lot. Very Happy
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

Yes, gohan can mean both "(cooked) rice" and "a meal" (bangohan=supper, made up of the words for night and meal/rice). I think in conversation, the intended meaning would be understood by Japanese speakers from the context.

I was pretty much going to say the same thing about native speakers knowing what is meant by context. Another example is asa-gohan which, taken literally, means "morning rice", but is generally used as the word for breakfast.

One of the things that I really like about the Japanese language is how some of the words for things are descriptive of its appearance. One of my personal favorites is the Japanese word for polar bear, shirokuma, which taken literally, translates to "white bear". Another favorite is zebra, shimauma, or "stripe horse".
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Would the Bentos he bought really have been so bad that simple plain rice was an improvement??

Don't forget the secret ingredient: love!

I know the intent is that a clumsily prepared homemade meal by a high school girl is better than some assembly line bento but I could never eat much of it.
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
While white rice can be pretty good, I think the idea was more that the father and daughter were simply eating together for the first time in a long while. In fact, the girl seemed to be confused about what the meaning of "gohan" was and assumed it meant eating together until her father told her otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7