• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweetness & Lightning (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

The scene I quite liked was when he found out that Tsugumi had made invitations, it was pretty cute. But also a moment he had to kind of stand up and say that she cannot just invite other people to parties at someone else's place. Tsugumi really could not understand what the problem was, but imagine that setting up those boundaries can be pretty important in raising her. But the real tear jerker was seeing the memory of Tsugumi having a party with all her friends when her mother was alive, and that it could mean a lot for Tsugumi to have a party again with her friends.

Quiet blonde guy who smokes, looks scarier than he actually is, and works at a restaurant. Why does that sound so familiar?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Quote:
Quiet blonde guy who smokes, looks scarier than he actually is, and works at a restaurant. Why does that sound so familiar?

Is that a rhetorical question? If not it is a fair description of one of the cooks in Wagnaria/Working. He would have to lose the chin whiskers though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, that was a really fun little adventure Tsugumi had. His father is overtired so the kid has to find some ways to have fun right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

The thoughts I had in my head there should he other things Tsumugi might have done before deciding to leave the house by herself, although poor decisions on part of the child is not character breaking. One of the first things Kotori should have done was to call him to let him know that Tsumugi showed up at her place by herself, clearly he would be worried sick on top of actually being sick. Using a phone actually should have been what Tsumugi did if she thought that there was some problem at home with her father. Maybe even he should have called people when he realised that she went off by herself. I think about modern phones changing how we deal with emergencies now days.

Tsumugi's adventure was cute, and she was brave, but darn right he would yell at her when he found her. Her reaction to that seemed super genuine, I am pretty sure I have seen a kid act the exact same way in squirming like that. It was an interesting shift from the general lack of conflict.

Oh, shark song was adorable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the episode and all, but I kinda hope this isn't all we'll be getting to merit the "lightning" in the title. This was more like a carpet zap. Smile
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Is the Shark song an actual Japanese nursery rhyme, or is it something that was written for the show? It was absolutely adorable.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7

The thoughts I had in my head there should he other things Tsumugi might have done before deciding to leave the house by herself, although poor decisions on part of the child is not character breaking.

Tsumugi's actions were definitely something that a real child her age would do, as children frequently act before thinking. Heck, I remember trying to follow my friend and her parents to a park a couple miles away when I was around Tsumugi's age. Her family were on bikes and I tried to follow on foot, with them having no clue that I was even trying to follow them. The funny thing is, I was trying to go to the wrong park, but still knew the way. I wound up having the whole neighborhood looking for me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Nice episode, we got some seafood. Tsugumi's curiosity was fun to see especially with that delusion of the Giant Squid.

I think the episode did a good job at the food making process as well especially in regards to the mechanics. Not a fan of seafood myself but they made that look good. Delicious! The telephone game was funny, loved how Mikio made a scene in front of everyone.

Oh poor Mikio. DENIED by Tsugumi!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode seven, by a country mile, was the strongest I have seen out of anything this season. Televised anime is not often a home to such knowing observations of childhood fantasies, free-spiritedness, foolish mistakes and sudden anguish. It was charming and uncomfortable in equal measure to see Tsumugi's fanciful inspiration, her resulting adventure and her inevitable, tantrum-inducing scolding, with only the slightest hint of compromise in the way in which they were depicted.

Of course, the emotional momentum was lost once the standard trio start cooking under the most awkward of circumstances, as if the previous confrontation had barely occurred. The rule that there must be a cooking section is this show's cross to bear.

spoiler[Is it safe to grill anything over a naked gas ring? I have seen that being done for chapatis, but only for mere seconds at a time.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually felt a little bad for Mikio with that dejected expression on his face!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It took me awhile to understand what the whole bag thing was about. I thought they were shopping or utility bags the women carried, and he was feeling awkward and left out because he couldn't contribute by making one, and couldn't be a recipient because he didn't carry one. Smile

Well, how could Mikio not fall in love with a girl who would wait for him to poop? She led him on, I tells ya!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
The almost squid epiphany was the best bit. It was cute noticing that Mikio was trying to make Tsumugi laugh, although she was not really having him.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Great episode!

Loved how the segment at school with Tsugumi inspired her to help cook at home later during the episode. Using kitchen knife..nice. As usual, the realism and mechanics of them making the food (curry this week) is very appealing to see. Bet that tasted really good. Personally when I cook curry, I put the ground meat in first to make sure that it's adjusted to the right temperature.

Also interesting to see Tsugumi's mom in the flashback.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the raisins made some people go "Ewww..". Those "children's knives" seemed pretty sharp though, cut through a carrot like it was butter.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I loved how Kōhei was worried about whether or not Tsumugi was going to be able to sleep okay being away from home, when in reality, it was Mikio that was crying to go home.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7