• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Complaint about quantity of threads locked.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
All I've seen are mods locking threads like crazy, threads that could have an actual discussion lol. Seems like you guys are being strict just to be strict. Is this a forum or not? Didn't know where to post this and after reading the rules, holy shit, how do people even stay here..?

Every other thread I've clicked on has been locked for some pretty lame reason. You guys take your "job" way to seriously. Idk, if I'm being a diva and I realize this as my first thread created probably makes me look bad, but I have to say something about it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well for starters I moved your thread to the appropriate section for you. Now let's get into your complaint(s) and address it.

Last time I checked yes indeed this is a forum. Let me check.....yup still a forum. As for why people stay here....I have long thought this is due to the fact that our admin are just total bishies. Zac is a total beefcake. That beard and those broad shoulders. I mean he's working that lumberjack look perfectly. Yum-o. And Tempest....like a lean blond norse god of hotness. Loki looks like a troll compared to him. He winked at me once at an ANN panel at a con and I almost feinted. I mean I've personally spent years here trying to somehow get closer to them. Now I'm a mod and in heaven. Sqqquueeeee. Ok, time to get serious.

Now you claim every other thread you click on is locked. Which threads are you talking about? You just created your account today (have you been lurking for a while?) so I am curious what huge amount of threads we've locked you're talking about. Are you even talking about just today? Are you talking about the past week? Are you talking about a year's worth? You really need to be a bit more specific. What sort of discussion did we limit or prevent? If you're going to register and right out the gate complain about us it would be helpful if you could provide some sort of example to this abhorrent behavior of ours so we could address it better and provide you with reasons behind it. Generally we only lock threads if people are being too rude, the discussion has become wildly off topic/going in circles, or the discussion is really old (and for those we tell users simply make a new topic). Those are the main reasons, but without any examples of what you're referring to we can't tell you specifically.

As for taking our job "too seriously" I can safely assure you none of us have the time to do that lol. Every mod here works a 9-5 job. Every. Single. One. We do this as volunteers inbetween our jobs, family, husbands/wives, etc. We don't have the free time available to check the amount of new threads created or posted in each day. So we surely do not have the time to "take our jobs too seriously". We barely have the time to put out the fires that get reported to us as is. And the admin have even less time.Truth be told we actually don't like have to "moderate" people or threads at all. That takes away what little time we do have from posting ourselves as normal users or reading articles we like. That's less time we have to actually watch anime ourselves.

As for our rules yes they are stricter than other web forums. That's largely due to the fact ANN is a BUSINESS. It's not a fan run forum. This place is a professional business with paid staff who use this place as a source of income. Those News articles, columns, etc are done by people who get paid for them. The forums here are actually more of a add on if you will. So the rules are going to be a bit stricter here. Plus the admin who run and own the site also prefer there to be intelligent discussion here. Not just chat board one liners and flame fests etc. Quality discussion basically. That's not up to the mods btw. We just enforce the rules laid down. That standard of discussion wanted here however I can guarantee you will not change. So if our rules are too strict for you than I'm sorry but maybe this place is not for you. Which is fine, to each their own.

I'd be happy to elaborate further if you can provide those specific examples of what you're talking about. Otherwise thanks for the feedback.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
#857821 wrote:
All I've seen are mods locking threads like crazy, . . .

I am also curious about where and when this was.
I have been reading these forums for several years and in my experience it is not very common for threads to be locked. Looking around the various forums right now I see very few locked threads anywhere.

Quote:
. . after reading the rules, holy shit, how do people even stay here..?

The rules are one of the reasons why I stay here. To me they seem very reasonable and not at all strict.
I have tried many other anime forums over the years and for me ANN is the most pleasant, and useful.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Zac is a total beefcake. That beard and those broad shoulders.

You mean he does not look like Skeletor?
What a letdown.

Quote:
As for taking our job "too seriously" I can safely assure you none of us have the time to do that lol.

Relative to that I would like to mention that the moderators depend on ordinary forum members to report problem that might need their attention.
If a thread is locked, or any other action is taken, there is a good chance that it was done in response to a complaint by one of us common folk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Relative to that I would like to mention that the moderators depend on ordinary forum members to report problem that might need their attention.
If a thread is locked, or any other action is taken, there is a good chance that it was done in response to a complaint by one of us common folk.

Touma is quite right. Now when we have time we mods do go about the forums and randomly check in on threads. Often it's topics or shows that have had a history of problems before or might have them now. Sometimes it's just random. When users report problem posts we can get to those problem areas much more quickly. And just because a user reports a thread or post it does not mean we automatically do something. Often we might simply do nothing but keep an eye on the thread/users for further issues. Believe it or not we do try to gives users the most chances we can to discuss topics civilly. Often they simply hang themselves with with that extra rope but that's their choice. In fact more often than not we remove posts as opposed to locking threads. For every thread we lock there's 3-4 we don't but simply "clean them up" and allow users to continue discussion.

Touma wrote:

Psycho 101 wrote:
Zac is a total beefcake. That beard and those broad shoulders.

You mean he does not look like Skeletor?
What a letdown.

More like a Bishonen version of the Brawny Man.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I can safely assure you none of us have the time to do that lol.

You fooled me. Razz
#Two 8s, a 5, a 7, a 2, and a 1 wrote:
how do people even stay here..?

Simple: Alluding to what Psycho said, most mods won't notice things you post unless a person reports it and if your opinion on something is generic enough and people don't encounter it more than once every eight months or so then most people don't care provided they even read it. Say something they don't agree with (IE believe tropes don't exist/dare to call anything with symbolism bad like I do/point out positives in G-Reco) or repeat it (what soapboxing is as far as I know) and you'll be reported in no time! If a post gets reported by more than one person it's a safe bet someone will pull the disruption card, it happened to me plenty of times. People tend to only care about rules when it affects them directly.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
If a post gets reported by more than one person [...].

Just FYI: Posts can only be reported one at a time. What that means is that once a post has been reported then no one else can report it until a moderator/administrator has cleared the report.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, I looked up this massive amount of locked threads, and their "lame reasons" for being locked, in the busiest forums:

Talkback: I had to go back to page 8 to find the first locked thread. It was locked on May 27th, (2 weeks ago), because people were arguing, and, in Galap's words "have proven [their] inability to post constructively."

Encyclopedia: Took me to page 5 to find a locked thread. They (there were 2 together) were the NA/Non-NA licenses threads, which were locked because they weren't needed anymore (they were for submitting licenses, which used to be a staff-only entry in the encyclopedia).

Bugs & Technical Questions: Aaa, here we go, we finally have a bunch of locked threads. Let's see what we have... (note: this is page 1, which goes through last October)
20 - Users having problems specific to them that were solved (no longer needed to be open)
7 - Site-wide issues that were solved and/or explained (no longer needed to be open)
2 - Simple questions that were answered (no longer needed to be open)
2 - Someone never replied to requests for more info, so apparently no longer needed the help (no longer needed to be open)

ANN Feedback: Like above, there's more locked threads. I have a feeling it'll be a pretty similar breakdown (again, page 1, through last July):
12 - Questions that were answered/taken care of (no longer needed to be open)
1 - Questions irrelevant to ANN and as such explained (no longer needed to be open)
2 - Discussions that had been thoroughly explored and had no where further to go or were no longer relevant (no longer needed to be open)
1 - Issues that were taken off the forum to be discussed privately (no longer needed to be open)

Anime: Other than moved threads (which are generally merged into pre-existing threads, or moved to the appropriate forum), there is only 1 locked thread in 6 pages of posts (taking us back to last December). The thread in question was locked on May 28, after having been revived after 13 years, clearly in violation of the Necroposting rule. Errinunda also encouraged them to create their own thread to start a new discussion.

Manga: (only including this since this is where the thread was originally posted) 7 locked posts, taking us back to last November. Breakdown of why:
*An attempt to garner interest in an abandoned series to get the Japanese creator to continue it (OP never responded)
*Post about series getting licensed (falls under the Speculation rule)
*Question about a mangaka (was pointed to asking Answerman)
*2 Self-promotion threads (not allowed)
*Necropost
The only post I could see there being questions on locking it was the one where someone wanted to design a manga-reading app and wanted feedback, which was locked due to lack of responses in 24-hours.

So, yeah, in the (arguably) most busy/main forums, I'm not seeing this rampant abuse of moderator powers in locking threads.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
The original poster in this thread registered Thursday and between 2:40 am and 3:05am made four forum posts and has not posted since. Perhaps we should give him a chance to respond before we waste anymore time on this thread.

In the absence of a reasoned reply .... Let's just say there is a strong scent of troll in the air.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The original poster in this thread registered Thursday and between 2:40 am and 3:05am made four forum posts and has not posted since. Perhaps we should give him a chance to respond before we waste anymore time on this thread.

I concur. So let's all move along and wait and see if the OP ever shows back up.

[Edit: User never came back. Locked. -t]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1