• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't Gundam Bigger In America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
I always thought one of the core contradictions of Gundam was the constant harping on the "war is terrible" message while simultaneously saying " but isn't it awesome?"

There is no contradiction, unless you subscribe to the idea that any war film is fetishing war.
The core message of Gundam is that war is terrible and brings nothing but pain and misery to those involved. The main characters suffer emotionally in Gundam. No one, not one is gung-ho lets massacre the other side willy nilly. Amuro, Judau, Camille, Uso etc... all have existential crisis because of this.
Of course you can like the mecha there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't detract from the main message and it certainly is not an endorsement of how war is a cool thing.

This is one of the reasons why IBO is such a shit Gundam show. For the first time in the history of the franchise Bandai/Sunrise have decided to create a main character that "likes" war. He is a full blown psycopath, showing no remorse for cold blood killings. Now this is fetishing war and misery. Perhaps this is the main reason why this particular Gundam series resonates so well with the american audience.

We will have to disagree on the glorifying of war aspect. The glorification of war varies from each different Gundam show. I would argue many of the Gundam shows( Mobil Suit Gundam, Zeta, Gundam Wing) "glorify war by portraying fight scenes as epic clashes of ideals rather than just violence." It also has a history of "euphemizing desparation or death" in battle. It seems a bit idealistic to believe that a show created to sell toys and model kits would be above glorifying war on some level. I don't believe that is the intent but it is an apparent trait of the franchise. I like Gundam and I can get behind a well-choreographed, exciting battle scene. There is nothing wrong with that but I think it glorifies war to an extent. Is it anywhere on the level of a film like American Sniper or even Saving Private Ryan(to a degree)? No but I certainly think it is there.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think all in all, however, Americans do not take giant robots seriously. The machines that Americans (and British, if Top Gear's enduring success is any indication) are interested in are real ones, or at least ones that can conceivably exist. Even in science fiction, technology is built in strictly practical terms, so I think Americans largely consider mecha to be too impractical (with Transformers getting the justification that they are actually lifeforms). Humanoid robots in modern fiction are always meant to imitate humans to some degree; without that, I think a lot of Americans ask, "Why did they design them that way?"

Of course, that doesn't explain why Battletech became popular among American wargamers in the late 1980s and early 1990s, or why Western franchises like Warhammer 40k, Command & Conquer, and StarCraft have their own giant robots. Everybody digs giant robots, to riff on the Megas XLR theme song for a bit.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
All of those franchises, while they have sizable fandoms of their own, never truly broke into the mainstream, and except for Battletech, do not have giant robots as their main thing. Command & Conquer is a non-specific war series with outlandish, silly ideas, while Warhammer 40k and StarCraft have wartime settings set in outer space with a huge variety of battle gear and vehicles. All of them also began in the 80's or 90's, when big powerful machines were popular, whereas now what's hot are small machines, either portable or can zip and fly about.

Come to think of it, James Cameron's Avatar had Amp Suits prominently featured as a weapon. For that case, it had a lot of explanations for its practicality: Its humanoid shape is because it wasn't much bigger than its pilot and needs that shape, and the suit existed as a combination of protection from Pandora's atmosphere and as armor against Na'vi weapons. (Say what you will about the movie, but it is undoubtedly the highest grossing movie to have mecha in it.)

Otherwise, when you have an ultra-high-tech galactic war in western media, what you're more likely to see are huge spaceships, smaller spacecraft, planetary weapons designed to fight spacefaring vehicles, armor fit directly onto troops, and laser guns. If there are robots, they are about the size of humans and either serve non-combat roles or are mass-produced soldiers. This is the sort of thing you see in Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Farscape, and Stargate. In other words, western media prefers to depict wars in the future using equipment that's a more advanced version of what presently exists. Giant robots in western media are mostly either used in a tongue-in-cheek manner (Megas XLR, Dexter's Laboratory, Discworld) and/or are homages to earlier times when they were popular (Sym-Bionic Titan, Big Guy and Rusty, Pacific Rim).
vision33r

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
It's the same reason that Doraemon is popular like Disney in Asia and Gundam is huge there as well. Neither Gundam or Doraemon will ever do well because those 2 franchises started way before anime became mainstream in America and never influenced anime viewers in America.

Just like Akira is not a big thing in Asia but huge in America. I think US anime audience have more limited taste than Asian anime audience which is why some animes are only popular there but not here. One Piece is huge in Asia but not much here.

In Asia, anime influences are everywhere you can see Pokemon, Gundam, DBZ, Doraemon everywhere on the streets and stores. Here you rarely see anything anime in public.
NeverLand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
It's the same reason that Doraemon is popular like Disney in Asia and Gundam is huge there as well. Neither Gundam or Doraemon will ever do well because those 2 franchises started way before anime became mainstream in America and never influenced anime viewers in America.

Just like Akira is not a big thing in Asia but huge in America. I think US anime audience have more limited taste than Asian anime audience which is why some animes are only popular there but not here. One Piece is huge in Asia but not much here.

In Asia, anime influences are everywhere you can see Pokemon, Gundam, DBZ, Doraemon everywhere on the streets and stores. Here you rarely see anything anime in public.

May I add some?

To be honest, Anime isn't very big on west is makes any sense (But at least Death Note, Code Geass, TTGL, Dragon Ball, Aldnoah, NGE, Full Metal Panic etc is quite mainstream on there)

And I'm agree that Gundam lacks "WOW" factor (Like Code Geass, TTGL, Aldnoah.Zero, NGE etc) that makes Gundam difficult to attract more peps. Heck, even newer Gundam series like IBO are still lackluster compared to other many mecha animes out there.
Also BamDie was being a dick a long ago (2012) when they closed Bandai Entertaiment America :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8