• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness Manga Resumes With Last Arc in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Only the first novel was adapted to a 26 series!? I hope the others will be adapted too. I loved the first season.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I have the English translation of the novel. I really want them to animate the other novels as well. I want to see this manga version!
#AetherAegis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Scholastic, PLEASE translate the other novels in the series.

Our english-speaking youth is being denied access to most of a collection whose author is decorated with some of the highest international literature awards there are.

This, while children (and all peoples) of other major nations have the opportunity to learn and grow from the entirety of this author's creative vision.

Isn't this contrary to your mission statement? Please consider taking another look at the rest of Nahoko Uehashi's Moribito novels.

Now, I have to hope some random scouters from scholastic see this Smile

Awesome news for the manga, though!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
The books didn't sell for anything. That's why Scholastic discontinued publishing them.
HdE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Only the first novel was adapted to a 26 series!? I hope the others will be adapted too. I loved the first season.

Moribito is a real high water mark in anime - it's a crying shame that it reportedly didn't do particularly well. No fan service, surprisingly mature, utterly devoid of the stale tropes that are shot through everything else... it reall does make you wonder.

I do think that 26 episode series feels remarkably complete. If more ever came along, though, I'd gobble it up quicker than Pac-Man. I'd just hope it was up to the amazing standard of Kamiyama's show.
Bingal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Please make a second season with Kamiyama at the helm. Moribito was one of the best anime from last decade.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The initial DVD version of Moribito was one of the last series issued in singles with eight singles for a 26 episode series. They also issued it in a strange DVD case sized jewel case. They must have thought they had a sure seller. Unfortunately they were wrong and most outlets were soon scrambling to sell of their stock. It very likely would have done better in a more conventional offering.

Scholastic offered the first volume in both hardback and trade paperback. They only issued the second volume in hardback. Neither volume was marketed very well. I only found out about the second volume by asking on line if there were more. This was also early in the issuance of translated Japanese novels. Now they would be shelved with the manga but I think that the few outlets that did carry the title shelved it in the YA area.

I would be up for watching the live action version. I wonder if it will ever be available here?
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Oooh. If this means a sequel anime might be on the way I am already drooling,
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Oooh. If this means a sequel anime might be on the way I am already drooling,

http://www.nhk.or.jp/moribito/en/

Live action, already partially released. Haven't seen it, but a quick search seems to indicate it might be available at the Wired Tortugas.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Amen to that. I would love to see other parts of the stories animated as well.

It would have also been nice to see this adapted into a manga format as well. Though I don't know which artist would be good for the task being able to capture both the action and elegance of what the book entails.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
I have only seen this show's dub do welcome another anime season even if that couldn't get a dub. At least, the book series sold well, as nargun's link mentions it sold a million copies. I take it they are talking about in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1