• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Polygon Pictures Animates Amazon's Lost in Oz 3D CG Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:48 am Reply with quote
Wait, no Princess Ozma? Aww, she'll never get adapted into anything.

Hopefully it sticks to the spirit of the books, because there's lots of neat ideas there that the more famous movie doesn't have that very few know about.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
Unless they're making this descendants of the original characters or making Ojo the victim of a spell, this will be approached by me with trepidation. Ojo was not a giant.
O-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
Darkabomination wrote:

Hopefully it sticks to the spirit of the books, because there's lots of neat ideas there that the more famous movie doesn't have that very few know about.

She was in the Disney cult classic Return to Oz, the Oz anime TV series that aired on HBO in the 80s/90s and most recently the Marvel Comic's adaptation of the first 4-5 books. But I do agree. For some reason the Oz series can't seem to get past either doing prequels (
Wicked, Oz the Great and Powerful) or reversions of the original story (MGMs Wizard of Oz, The Wiz) for mainstream exposure. The stuff that has attempted to go past the first book gets little notoriety (Journey Back to Oz animated movie, Return to Oz, the Oz anime TV series, Marvel Comics Oz books) and even then they always seem to only cover up to the Gnome King Invasion. It's also really telling when more recent versions adapt more and more of the book elements.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Darkabomination wrote:

Princess Ozma is a major character in Bill Willingham's Fables comic series. Not a faithful adaptation by any means, but she's one of my favorites (Dorothy, OTOH, was a villain for some reason. Never liked that.)

I'm curious about the original novels. It would be interesting to see an adaptation faithful to them. This is not that...but it does look cute, and the pilot's on Amazon Prime.
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Why is this even here? It's not an anime, its art style isn't anime, and it's not based on a manga, light novel nor video game. Yes, it's made by an anime studio, but that's where its relevance ends.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Polygon did this? What? Why are they deliberately lowering the framerate on their cell-shaded anime when they can do that!
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Mexican Batman wrote:
Why is this even here? It's not an anime, its art style isn't anime, and it's not based on a manga, light novel nor video game. Yes, it's made by an anime studio, but that's where its relevance ends.

You answered your own question--it's animated by an anime studio, Polygon Pictures, therefore it's anime news. Fans like to keep track of what the anime studios they follow are working on, and are always speculating on how much work they have, how many series they can animate per season, etc.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Mexican Batman wrote:

You answered your own question--it's animated by an anime studio, Polygon Pictures, therefore it's anime news. Fans like to keep track of what the anime studios they follow are working on, and are always speculating on how much work they have, how many series they can animate per season, etc.

And depending on your definition, this can count as anime. For those who define anime by the country of origin, it is.

For those who define it by the style and call Avatar and RWBY anime, it isn't, but personally I don't follow that train of thought.

However, my line of thinking does put the Transformers RID (the 2015 one) into a tough spot as it was animated by Polygon but made as a western cartoon...hm...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1