• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Days (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Days (TV)

Genres: tournament
Themes: soccer, sports

Plot Summary: Two boys met on a stormy night: Tsukushi, a boy with no special traits at all, and Jin, a soccer genius. On that night, Jin drags Tsukushi into the world of high-school soccer.
----------------------------------

A soccer series adapted by studio MAPPA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Decent start. Tsukushi is portrayed as an underdog already and somewhat timid for a character. On the other hand, Jin is the cool type of guy.

I like the pacing so far, it introduces some of the main characters while establishing the themes and sports gimmicks. Seriously though, I hope they adapt Tsukushi's progress as a character and soccer player because so far, he's quite a klutz on the field. On the other hand, I do admire his spirit. 24 episodes, not sure how much they will adapt but this show has a ton of potential imo.

In regards with the character designs, the blushing part is somewhat distracting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I liked it, it made me feel a bit painful though with the injuries.

Not entirely sure, but it felt likely that Jin only invited Tsukushi because he could fit in the shoes, that he likely thought that it did not matter how good he was at the game. I thought that perhaps it was his own old shoes, but that the shoes were not worn down makes me think that maybe there was another Tsukushi in the past that was overwhelmed and Jin still feels guilty over it.

The OP seemed to imply from the very beginning that it was going to be a hard road.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Decent episode and it shows that Seiseki is a good team considering the reputation about Tsukamoto's membership (being made fun of because they thought he wasn't the manager)

Meanwhile, the training shows that Tsukamoto has a strong will to improve himself. I wish his personality wasn't so timid though. Still loving the realism of the series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Looks like he has already upped his endurance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
How much time passed between the local training and the camp? He didn't seem to be making much progress on the endurance front the first week, but then suddenly (?) zoomed to the head of the class.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

They are really making Tsukamoto look like a complete underdog out there. The skill gap between him and Jin is just...too much for now. Although that's probably a good thing as the series will have plenty of time to develop him more.

There's more fan service in this series than I had expected lol,
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I don't understand why the coach or somebody (Kazama, I'm lookin' at you) isn't trying to teach him anything at all about the game or how to receive a pass or even just kick the ball when and where he wants. Running around like a chicken with its head cut off really isn't doing much good, or it won't once the other team realizes it's all he can do even if he's open. Which should have already happened by now.

Also, yet another sports anime where the refs are either blind, incompetent or paid off. Oi.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

"Do what you want." Because our coach doesn't coach, we've never bothered to work out any plays or strategy, and positions are for wussies. I swear, there was far more thought behind the plays in Ginga e Kickoff.

Why was his mom wearing a t-shirt with a mustache and Belarus flags? oO
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Am I the only one still watching this?

This is seriously suffering from lack of animation. Who thought it was a good idea to do a sports anime (with tons of running) without the budget to animate even the games?

Also Tsukushi is looking like a wannabe Naruto, where every other character thinks only about him. Let us open our gospels now to Chapter 23 of the Book of Tsukushi:

Tsukushi is my shepherd; I shall not fall.
He maketh me to run across green pastures: he leadeth me to bottled waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of team spirit for his name's sake.
Yea, though I run across the pitch of the shadow of defeat, I will fear not: for thou art with me; thy innocence and thy example they comfort me.
Thou cheerest for me from the technical area of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with water; my nose bleedeth.
Surely goodness and dreamdust shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell on the team of Tsukushi until I graduate.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm still watching it for sure, and it was amongst my faves of the season until the episode with the cheating team, that was such a pile of utter bullcrap, and the episode following that one wasn't that bad, but the absolute lack of any sense of strategy or game logic is killing it for me. We're ten episods in and I can only name 4 members of the team -which is quite a feat given how the characters have such distinctive designs that should make it easy to remember them, except that the writing hasn't given anyone anything to do at all-, and the games seem to be limited to pass the ball to Kazama/Mizuki and think about how much better they've gotten after running to catch up with Tsukushi. And the animation. I had high hopes for it since MAPPA's doing it, I really have to wonder why they've put so little money on it. The games are basically slideshows! And they're really stretching my suspense of disbelief with the whole "this team got super strong just from running a lot". I get that they're trying to keep Tsukushi relevant while also being the ultimate underdog, but they could do it in different ways other than "he just runs a lot". I'm hanging by a thread because Mizuki is a beautiful treasure and I have a silly babycrush on him, but it's crushing me to see a show that started to good become so utterly mediocre
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

13 gave me a small hope this might improve, but 14 kinda dashed that. I guess it had its moments. Coach is an idiot though. While it's true that you need to try and fail to learn, basic instruction is still necessary or you don't even know what to try at. If you, as a coach, can see the problem, at least tell the players what the problem is, even if you want to let them figure out a solution on their own.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have kind of run out of patience too, I find myself more often than not simply getting angry at the show. Like last week his childhood friend character finally appeared again after rarely appearing since the first episode, she was like important enough to tag along with him at the beginning and then the show totally forgets about her. She starts having a sook that he does not need her anymore, but where has she been this whole time? Was that the only match she watched?

And the rampant assault Tsukushi receives is horrible, between head butts and all, I think the preview for next episode showed more, it is not funny but cruel. The manager girl still pretty much bullies him like I don't know why she decided to become the manager from watching him if that is how she acts towards him. And as Gina said, the coach is not even coaching him, not even sure what he does beyond superficial things.

I have watched so far that it would be a shame to never finish this, but I am not enjoying Days very much.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
So after 14 episodes Tsukamoto finally figured out that maybe, just maybe running around like a panicked chicken might not be all there is to playing soccer. Yay? Rolling Eyes And i think that coach is just lazy as hell...

As for Tsukamoto being "bullied", believe me, that's nothing compared to what i want to do to him every time i see his clueless face...at this point i'm more or less hate-watching this show, if it wasn't for some of the senpai i've kinda grown attached to, i'd have dropped this long ago.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
If Coach was a baseball coach, the pitchers would just have to spend their whole high school careers figuring out on their own how to pitch a sinker, slider, cutter or knuckleball, cause he couldn't be bothered to suggest any grips. For strategy, he'd toss them the rule book and say, "See what you can think of that doesn't go against any of that."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2