• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kumamiko Creator Remarks on 'Cruel' Comment in Final Episode Script

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Have to say I am greatly disappointed as well, Kunamiko could become soooooo much more than what it is right now.

Oh well
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Not since Chrono Crusade has an anime-original ending needed a do-over this badly.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
To me it seems a bit passive-aggressive way to tell, "Listen, while I acknowledge the rest of the staff's hard work, the management was horrible to deal it, so let them do what they want with it."
SlamMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The ending was pretty frustrating but it could easily be fixed. All you need is one more episode where one of the other idol girls who were encouraging Machi (the rice head one maybe) visits the village and eventually convinces Machi that the stone throwing, bumpkin calling never happened. Then Yoshio gets a whoopin' and it ends as it began with Machi saying she wants to go to school in the city much to Natsu's disappointment. Also somewhere in there Natsu needs to get what's coming to him for also being a jerk.

I hope that all the discussion and disappointment related to the ending results in it being fixed in some way.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
You know what could easily fix this......a season 2. First episode is just Machi finally cooling off and realizing she was overreacting. That or Natsu stops being a negative enabler and giving Machi Stockholm Syndrome long enough to right her path again.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 would do it. You can fix the ending in the first episode and go from there.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I could understand the frustration. Am all for directors doing their own take on the material. That said,am baffled by why they would go with such a cynical and mean-spirited ending as that?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I could understand the frustration. Am all for directors doing their own take on the material. That said,am baffled by why they would go with such a cynical and mean-spirited ending as that?

Strangely, I think it was intended as a happy ending. (I mean, it failed miserably in that regard, but still.) The screenwriter wanted to restore the status quo and chose the laziest possible way to go about it.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The problem with needing a Season 2 to fix the "bad ending" is that the "bad ending" itself may be enough to impact sales and prevent a Season 2.

Mark Gosdin
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
release a 13th episode with the bd-dvd with the tittle fixed ending lol problem solved Razz because i doubt this will ever get a sequel.....
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't necessarily think you even need to wait for season 2 for a "do-over" ending.

Both releases of the first season (which is unusually being released in 2 6+1-episode chunks rather than as 6 2-episode disks) will include an OVA episode, so I'd say there's at least an outside chance that the disappointing ending for the TV series was just setting up a situation to be resolved in the 2nd OVA episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I dropped the show since the first episode, but I feel a little sorry for the mangaka who saw his work misrepresented in such a way. OTOH, I get a bizarre kind of schadenfreude hearing how much this has backfired for the writer
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
it is a boring anime even though I like slice-of-life anime. The story keep looping with typical Machi who dont know anything about outside world and try to adapt with it, and Yoshio keep bothering Machi with idol or village stuffs.

And yes the ending doesnt make sense for me. Why the heck Machi easily decided to stay in village in the end? Should have done in the 1st episode so viewer dont waste time watching useless stuffs for 12 episodes.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was also deleted from his filmography on Wikipedia by an IP address from Aichi Prefecture — where Sugiura is from.

This really needs to be removed from the article.

1) Wow, this is insanely creepy that someone at ANN was not only watching the IPs editing this single Wikipedia article but had the ability to figure out exactly where the IP was from.

2) You don't even know if this was actually Sugiura or not. Sure, it might be from the Prefecture he's from, but you can't say for sure it wasn't a fan who was just sabotaging the page out of anger. It could also be a disguised IP, VPNs are a very real thing.

3) Whoever that IP belongs to, you are probably inciting a witch hunt on them. You revealed what page this IP edited as well as where it's located. Whoever owns that IP could meet a lot of unsavory consequences as a result of bitter fans who read this and go through the effort of tracking his IP down, with things like DDoS or doxxing. It's 2016, have you not seen all the scary hacking going on as of late?

Whoever at ANN that was pathetic enough to go through the trouble of tracking that IP and making such an unfounded claim, shame on you. This is by far the most unprofessional thing I've ever read on ANN. I'll be sure to make Sugiura aware of what you did so he can better protect himself. But you could make his life easier by just removing that from the article entirely.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
. ... 1) Wow, this is insanely creepy that someone at ANN was not only watching the IPs editing this single Wikipedia article but had the ability to figure out exactly where the IP was from.

... Whoever at ANN that was pathetic enough to go through the trouble of tracking that IP and making such an unfounded claim, shame on you. This is by far the most unprofessional thing I've ever read on ANN. ...

Pretty sure ANN is only reposting info from one of the listed sources here...

Quote:
... 2) You don't even know if this was actually Sugiura or not. Sure, it might be from the Prefecture he's from, but you can't say for sure it wasn't a fan who was just sabotaging the page out of anger. It could also be a disguised IP, VPNs are a very real thing. ...

If a guy deletes his Twitter and removes something from his resume on a well-known social portal, it's not exactly a far-fetched thought it might have been him trying to remove those facts from the Wiki as well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4