• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kumamiko Creator Remarks on 'Cruel' Comment in Final Episode Script

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I've been disappointed with this show since the underwear scene in episode three.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
Quote:
It was also deleted from his filmography on Wikipedia by an IP address from Aichi Prefecture — where Sugiura is from.

This really needs to be removed from the article.

1) Wow, this is insanely creepy that someone at ANN was not only watching the IPs editing this single Wikipedia article but had the ability to figure out exactly where the IP was from.

2) You don't even know if this was actually Sugiura or not. Sure, it might be from the Prefecture he's from, but you can't say for sure it wasn't a fan who was just sabotaging the page out of anger. It could also be a disguised IP, VPNs are a very real thing.

3) Whoever that IP belongs to, you are probably inciting a witch hunt on them. You revealed what page this IP edited as well as where it's located. Whoever owns that IP could meet a lot of unsavory consequences as a result of bitter fans who read this and go through the effort of tracking his IP down, with things like DDoS or doxxing. It's 2016, have you not seen all the scary hacking going on as of late?

Whoever at ANN that was pathetic enough to go through the trouble of tracking that IP and making such an unfounded claim, shame on you. This is by far the most unprofessional thing I've ever read on ANN. I'll be sure to make Sugiura aware of what you did so he can better protect himself. But you could make his life easier by just removing that from the article entirely.

That information came from [url="http://jin115.com/archives/52136249.html"]this article[/url]. Given the context, it seems revealing, although I never wrote that it was definitely Sugiura. I deny that I am inciting a witch hunt.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Amara Tenoh wrote:
. ... 1) Wow, this is insanely creepy that someone at ANN was not only watching the IPs editing this single Wikipedia article but had the ability to figure out exactly where the IP was from.

... Whoever at ANN that was pathetic enough to go through the trouble of tracking that IP and making such an unfounded claim, shame on you. This is by far the most unprofessional thing I've ever read on ANN. ...

Pretty sure ANN is only reposting info from one of the listed sources here...

They should still know better than to repost this kind of information.

Quote:
... 2) You don't even know if this was actually Sugiura or not. Sure, it might be from the Prefecture he's from, but you can't say for sure it wasn't a fan who was just sabotaging the page out of anger. It could also be a disguised IP, VPNs are a very real thing. ...

If a guy deletes his Twitter and removes something from his resume on a well-known social portal, it's not exactly a far-fetched thought it might have been him trying to remove those facts from the Wiki as well...

It may not be far-fetched but you guarantee readers that it's his IP address. If someone from Taylor Swift's hometown edits her Wikipedia page and someone notices the connection, does that mean news outlets should push out articles about sabotaging her own Wikipedia page?

Also, by publishing a statement like this, you opening this up to people who will track down this IP thinking it's 100% Sugiura's. It's debatable if it's his or not, but no matter who it belongs to, the owner doesn't need the wrong kind of people doing bad things with his IP information. It's a raid just waiting to happen.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Heh..I saw this and was really considering sending it in, but I wasn't sure about my translation so I didn't want to risk giving incorrect information.

I do have to add my own opinion of the series. Some people may think I'm projecting, but honestly it matches too well IMO.

spoiler[I think Machi has aspergers. I have it, and the way she acts in social situations is a spot-on match. I mean, I know she's fictional and the author might've not intended that, but it still matches up well enough. Her levels of social anxiety go beyond just being raised in a secluded life-style. Her levels of stress, anxiety, and outright pain from being in social situations is legit aspergers-level (or similar social disorders). Another factor was how she responded to strangers. Hibiki, she was afraid of at first, but quickly became friends. That's how it works for us. We're awful in crowd, and struggle in 1-on-1 but after a short while we can deal with 1-on-1 and once we know people decently, we can be rather normal friends. There was also an episode (again, with Hibiki) where she was very uncomfortable and scared until she was able to talk about something she knew a lot about. This is another "symptom" people with aspergers have. We can go from completely quiet to non-stop chatterboxes if the topic changes to something we know a lot about or something we love. The example in the show was the Clothing Store. When I saw the episode I thought it was a just weird thing for the show to do, but after seeing her social issues as the show progressed, I was reminded of that episode where she went on for several minute stating facts about the Clothing Store and their products. Her actions throughout the show just fit so perfectly.

Anyway, my point is that the entire show Yoshio and Natsu basically did the complete opposite of what they should've been doing to help her. Throwing her into crowded situations, making her buy stuff, making her do retail (dear god that's painful), making her try to be an idol?!?...that's just insane. Aspergers or not, people with her level of social anxiety do NOT get better by being forced into situations they can't stand. People that severe, honestly might not have any hope going at it alone...I think the best way for them to help her was to stand by her side, the way Hibiki did at times.

Hibiki was the only character that seemed to understand that Machi wasn't being helped at all. Natsu seemed to want to help, until the very last episode where he helped Yoshio completely break Machi. "You don't have to think anymore" was literally the saddest line of the show. I had praise for the anime at first, for showing how stressful social situations can be for people with clear social disorders. Her fear was animated beautifully and her reactions were really well done. But that final episode was one of the worst endings I've seen in over 1000 anime. I asked the mangka about it when I commented on that tumblr post he made, but of course he probably didn't see that before he deleted the post.]

Really though, the saddest thing is the reactions to Machi that I've seen online. People tell her to "quit acting like a baby", people telling Machi to "get over it", and so on. People really don't understand how painful it is, both mentally and physically (tight chest and such) to have a social disorder. Even if anxiety is just caused by being raised in a secluded lifestyle (Yet oddly none of the other villages have any issues), she still clearly social anxiety at an extreme level that is too high to "get over". Seeing how misunderstood social anxiety is, really made me sad.

As for that person talking about stalkers..... wikipedia shows the IP address of people that edit pages. No special skills needed.

Last edited by Kougeru on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Amara Tenoh wrote:
Quote:
It was also deleted from his filmography on Wikipedia by an IP address from Aichi Prefecture — where Sugiura is from.

This really needs to be removed from the article.

1) Wow, this is insanely creepy that someone at ANN was not only watching the IPs editing this single Wikipedia article but had the ability to figure out exactly where the IP was from.

2) You don't even know if this was actually Sugiura or not. Sure, it might be from the Prefecture he's from, but you can't say for sure it wasn't a fan who was just sabotaging the page out of anger. It could also be a disguised IP, VPNs are a very real thing.

3) Whoever that IP belongs to, you are probably inciting a witch hunt on them. You revealed what page this IP edited as well as where it's located. Whoever owns that IP could meet a lot of unsavory consequences as a result of bitter fans who read this and go through the effort of tracking his IP down, with things like DDoS or doxxing. It's 2016, have you not seen all the scary hacking going on as of late?

Whoever at ANN that was pathetic enough to go through the trouble of tracking that IP and making such an unfounded claim, shame on you. This is by far the most unprofessional thing I've ever read on ANN. I'll be sure to make Sugiura aware of what you did so he can better protect himself. But you could make his life easier by just removing that from the article entirely.

That information came from [url="http://jin115.com/archives/52136249.html"]this article[/url]. Given the context, it seems revealing, although I never wrote that it was definitely Sugiura. I deny that I am inciting a witch hunt.

But why even include that? You can't be 100% sure it's Sugiura since you definitely imply it in your article. Why would you write it in the article if you didn't suspect it was his IP? Plus, giving more attention to what I consider a creepy detail to this story isn't exactly good for the owner of that IP. It just takes one Ill willed lurker to go through the trouble of finding that IP and DDoS him, or worse, dox him.

This adds nothing positive to the article, you might as well write something about anime Wikipedia pages that just happen to be edited byan IP from the same Prefecture as its respective creator.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
That's a risk you take when you chose to edit a Wikipedia article. It says clearly that if you edit a page without being a registered user that your IP will be publically viewable. Why are you so hung up on this anyway?
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
That's a risk you take when you chose to edit a Wikipedia article. It says clearly that if you edit a page without being a registered user that your IP will be publically viewable. Why are you so hung up on this anyway?

Well I don't see how it's right for a large news article site to be able to plaster all over the Internet this IP address is tied to him. Not to mention this IP address could very well not even belong to him. This was on the Japanese Wikipedia, so is it really that far fetched to believe someone other than Sugiura who just happens to live in the same Prefacture as him, chose to edit that page out of anger? It isn't 100% confirmed it's his, so I don't think a bold and harmful claim like this should be made to begin with.

Last edited by Amara Tenoh on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Jones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
After talking about it with friends and comparing it with the manga. I've come to the conclusion that the anime adaptation of Kumamiko is lamblasting the source material. Usually the anime is an advertisement for you to go read the manga. But in this case the anime is telling you that the manga sucks. Case in point, outside of the last 2 episodes, all the mean spirited bullying and harassment of Machi happened in the manga. But in the manga it was played for laughs and comedy, which is pretty sociopathic considering that nobody else in the manga like Yosiho or Natsu get the same treatment that Machi does. Most Dark Comedy's that spite it's characters tend to share the hate around but in this show it's all directed towards Machi. In the Anime the scenes with Machi panic attacks it comes across less like comedy and more like full blown anxiety disorder. Plus Yosiho increasingly comes across more and more as a sexual predator, from the point with the scene when he walks in a Machi undressed and then grabs her and yells at her about double standards. The show played this off for laughs cause "Ha! it looks and acts like it's bordeline sexual assault!" Then we get to the last 2 episodes with the Idol contest in Sendai, and Yosiho straight up starts forcibly undressing Machi. Not to mention the "Sacrifice the Village Maiden" comment was exclusive to the anime. When you piece it together it feels like the show is highlighting the flaws that the manga has. Like it's revealing that the Manga was this hateful harassment story towards Machi. I don't know if I would call the ending of Kumamiko poor writing. There are too many great moments in the show including the last episode to think that this was just a coincidence. I mean how bad can your show be when you have brilliant lines such as a bear walking around in public only for him to go "OH SHIT I'M A BEAR!". The actual last episode was really good until the last 5 minutes. That's when it "Jumps the shark" with the ending. I feel like the writers of the show got forced onto the project and they hated the source material so the last episode was them yelling at the author going "YOUR MANGA IS AWFUL AND HERE"S WHY!". It's a deconstruction of how awful and mean spirited the manga is and it goes further beyond what the manga does to highlight to people just how awful the manga and the show treats Machi for literally no good reason. Kumamiko is truly the Spec Ops: The Line of moe shows.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok the off topic IP discussion stops now thank you. You've made your point Amara Tenoh & already made a thread I see in the feedback section regarding this. I suggest you wait for a news staff or admin to reply and stop with the soapboxing here that is derailing this thread. Furthermore I would also suggest you watch the rude insults towards the author. We expect users to be civil here (rule #1) and that does in fact include to the staff themselves. Calling someone creepy and pathetic is not being civil. Nor is slandering them by saying they're trying to incite a witch hunt while clamoring about being professional when you yourself are being anything but. Such behavior will not be tolerated.

Since there is now a thread in the Feedback section for this grievance any further posts on that topic here will simply be removed so the thread can stay on topic and move on. Thank you.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Patrick Jones wrote:
I feel like the writers of the show got forced onto the project and they hated the source material so the last episode was them yelling at the author going "YOUR MANGA IS AWFUL AND HERE"S WHY!". It's a deconstruction of how awful and mean spirited the manga is and it goes further beyond what the manga does to highlight to people just how awful the manga and the show treats Machi for literally no good reason.

This would straight-up be insanely stupid if not suicidal for the studio. You're basically then creating an unsaleable product (the "fans" don't want it because you wreck the material and no one else will want it because you're TELLING them the material is terrible, if anything you're intentionally making it WORSE) AND giving the finger (intentionally) to the creator. You'd basically be saying I'll take a producer's money to make any product, but if I don't love it, I won't tell you and will instead sabotage the product. Who would choose to work with you after that?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I would have been more impacted by the stupidly negative tone of the ending if the previous 5 or so episodes hadn't also been pretty bad.
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna be honest here. I actually enjoyed that ending. If anything because it made the show more memorable.

I read some of the manga a bit before the anime was announced. I loved it, and was pretty excited for the anime. The anime wasn't bad, but I felt that it was missing some of the "magic" from the manga. This also happened to me last season with Dagashi Kashi. I loved the manga, but the anime I felt was missing something. In the end it turned out to be only a "pretty okay" anime, although I still love the manga. I even liked the chapters I read afterwards more than when I did when the anime adapted them. I'm not completely sure why, maybe pacing.

Now, the Kumamiko anime might've ruined what the manga is supposed to be, but at least it won't end up being forgettable like Dagashi Kashi. I mean, a slice-of-life show where the main girl ends up completely broken, while her best friend tells her it's okay and she doesn't have to try, with happy music playing in the background? It's really fucked up, but exactly because of that, I will remember this for years.

I feel bad for the author, though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that the ending of Kumamiko was utterly disheartening. It's as if the show ended on a cliffhanger.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
...I thought it was pretty good. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
This also happened to me last season with Dagashi Kashi. I loved the manga, but the anime I felt was missing something. In the end it turned out to be only a "pretty okay" anime, although I still love the manga. I even liked the chapters I read afterwards more than when I did when the anime adapted them. I'm not completely sure why, maybe pacing.

The thing with Dagashikashi is that it had a pretty monotonous tone with a very strict set of rules and reaction to how chapters must develop.
That wouldn't be bad in and of itself, but a full cour of 20-minute episodes doing that is just too much to swallow. It doesn't help either that some jokes dragged on forever, taking 10 minutes to extend a topic that was done and over at minute 3.

Selipse wrote:
I mean, a slice-of-life show where the main girl ends up completely broken, while her best friend tells her it's okay and she doesn't have to try, with happy music playing in the background? It's really fucked up, but exactly because of that, I will remember this for years.

So kinda like we can remember the ending of School Days?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4