• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kumamiko Creator Remarks on 'Cruel' Comment in Final Episode Script

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
SlamMan wrote:
The ending was pretty frustrating but it could easily be fixed. All you need is one more episode

It is even easier than that. All they need to do is re-record some dialogues from the final five minutes, so instead of Machi saying she does not want to go to high school (remember, her local school only has up to middle school (and probably as a special favor to Machi's grandma), so she need to go to a bigger city to attend high school) she would say something like "Will you guys support me if I go to high school" and receive a positive answer. The scene where Machi does not know about buying stuff online can stay (just remove the "you do not need to change/learn anything" dialogue) the same since we have never seen Machi browse the web, but it gets a totally different vibe since they would be celebrating Machi's decision to go to high school, unlike the ending we have now where they are celebrating that Machi will be totally dependent on others for the rest of her life. This is no exaggeration,high social anxiety plus zero web skills means said person doesn't even qualify to be a hikkomori.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SlamMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
That's a good point. Changing a bit of dialog would suffice. You would also need Yoshio or Natsu to say something about the rock throwing not happening or they will still look like jerks. A little change in dialog can make a huge difference.Like the ending of the terrible cartoon GIJoe movie spoiler[where they added in a line about Duke being in a coma and later recovering because fans didn't like what happened to Optimus in the transformer movie and the creators knew fans would be pissed if Duke died.]
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
So kinda like we can remember the ending of School Days?

Sure, I guess. I mean, here we are, 9 years later, talking about it. And I haven't even watched the show! That ending has "I am your father" status in anime fan circles. Everyone knows about it. It's actually because of that that I haven't watched it. I would've been really entertained by it if I watched it without prior knowledge.
Although I don't think it will get to be on the level of School Days as far as general knowledge goes. It's not as explicit, after all.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
Watching School Days Ep12 left me with a stomach-turning feeling thinking about it that keeps me from ever wanting to see the show again or playing the VN past a point. That is about what Kumamiko Ep12 did for me and at least two others here so comparing these shows is quite apt Yuvelir. Not physically explicit, but similar in the psychological realm if one is sensitive to interpersonal interaction and emotional functioning. I hope someone decides to "fix" the end using the OVA's before trying a second season because this show was overall very cute and enjoyable and deserves much better than it got with Yoshio's abuse and idol nonsense. It would have been great if Machi had progressed toward school in the city as was the initial trajectory.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
What are you talking about? I checked Sugiura's Wikipedia page and Kumamiko's listed there, just as it's always been.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
What are you talking about? I checked Sugiura's Wikipedia page and Kumamiko's listed there, just as it's always been.

Did you check the edits? Usually bad edits are reverted rather quickish by other Wikipedia editors...
Brutannica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

It was restored two days later.
WinryFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
At first Machi seemed infantile, but this was so extreme that I decided it was playful self-parody. Natsu loves being with Machi and protecting her; Machi is finding happiness in this relationship rather than by leaving the village (something that she finds consistently terrifying).
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This whole situation sounds like such a typically anime industry thing to happen. I've said it before and I'll say it again but in the 2010's the late night TV anime industry has serious likable character, wanton cynicism/cruelty (as in that serves little to no narrative purpose), and general writing problems that it needs to find a way to address, especially if it's even starting to happen in shows that are fairly innocuous and consistent for most of their runs.

When even the original author isn't satisfied and speaks out (which almost never used to happen so much as them being used for canned PR comment purposes praising everything about an anime production) that also says a lot about these problems. Lately the emperor as it where is starting to really feel like it has no clothes and more and more people are starting to see it as opposed to just me.

I've noticed a trend of late of manga writers looking to have their series adapted into live action movies and skip out on the whole anime industry thing instead or in some cases opt for a live action movie and TV series. I think this trend is going to continue and we'll be seeing more of the former just live action movie approaches because they make more money and it seems like a good idea to skip around the anime industry and it's obvious problems with mean spirited script writers and just bad ideas nowadays. I also don't get what is with the up swing in anime original arcs or endings either of late. Like industry, you are terrible at this stuff, if you have a template laid out for you already from a writer in a different industry that isn't LN/VN related you'd be best to just damn well follow it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Patrick Jones wrote:
After talking about it with friends and comparing it with the manga. I've come to the conclusion that the anime adaptation of Kumamiko is lamblasting the source material. ... I feel like the writers of the show got forced onto the project and they hated the source material so the last episode was them yelling at the author going "YOUR MANGA IS AWFUL AND HERE"S WHY!". It's a deconstruction of how awful and mean spirited the manga is and it goes further beyond what the manga does to highlight to people just how awful the manga and the show treats Machi for literally no good reason.

You might be on to something here. I had a somewhat different take on it in the review thread, but the motive behind it would be the same. What clinches it for me is that Yoshio had the same hallucination of being stoned as Machi, which implies the jealous mountain god is messing with their heads to keep them from leaving. (@Kougeru: none of the other villagers seem to have issues because they're not trying to leave the village) If I view it as a horror story, I can almost actually like the whole series.

I can't agree that this could be saved by rewriting a few lines of dialog as some have suggested. The series had a lot more problems than just this episode (unless you take it as a Children of the Corn-ifying of the series, with adults instead of kids).
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
-snip-

I seriously don't understand what you're even trying to say.

The recent trend of live-action adaptations are because Japan supposedly now has the power to make special effects (CG) that do the series justice. The recent announcements and rumors also are from manga that already had anime adaptations.
Anime original endings are also less common nowadays. There's even been a recent trend of adapting already completed manga.
Reibubba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
I haven't hated an ending to an anime in a loooong time. The rest of the series is great - I love the interplay between characters, but the ending just smacked of "break the squeeky" .

Macchi has basically been left traumatised to the point she can't leave the village and appears to have suppressed any concept of dealing with modern life - all for the sake of a popularity contest.

Ah well, will see if the manga has a better finale (not that it would be difficult).
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I have to agree that the ending of Kumamiko was utterly disheartening. It's as if the show ended on a cliffhanger.

The disconnect between manga artists and the anime studios never ceases to amaze me. Though I have not read the manga, the ending did seem a little out of place. Almost reminds me how the one studio botched the ending of Fruits Basket. Another victim of anime studio creative liberties.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
motormind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
I don't know. I simply interpreted the ending as Natsu trying to take the pressure off Machi by letting her regress back to her old self for a while. Machi was clearly distressed by what happened, and Natsu must have figured that coddling her for a while might put her mind at ease. Whether that's a good decision is another matter, of course, but I don't think that Natsu would really be that selfish to want her to stay in the village forever, even within the context of the anime.

That said, Yoshio is an asshole. And no, he is really not all that better in the Manga.
KingKhai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
oh wow I never realized the reaction was this bad.
I myself am a little let down by the ending btw. Could've been better and was a little frustrating especially regarding Machi's unresolved 'bumpkin inferiority' issues. I mean by God she needs help man! That's a serious mental case! who the f wrote that!? She looks broken at the end tbh!

Natsu's unwillingnes to let her go is understandable but i believe somewhere in him he realizes he must eventually let Machi go.

But damn this show is like the manual of 'how NOT to be a good parent'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4