• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ten Old-School Anime Classics You Can Watch Streaming Right Now

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Great recommendations Mike. Just a minor correction, the Patlabor tv series is 47 episodes long, not 50.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
I just wish FOTNS series was as violent as the movie and manga.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Great recommendations Mike.

Daryl wrote this.

Anyway, a good list on the whole, if maybe a little "safe", due to the self-admitted catch-22 Daryl admitted to using. It is cool to see that streaming is a way for plenty of people to watch older anime like these, though, and hopefully stuff like Miss Machiko will only be the start of more.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for Machiko-sensei, since it being a long early 80s and barely-known anime means another long early 80s barely-known anime like Kabocha Wine could get subbed.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
I discovered the Unico movie a few years back, and I found it to be an absolute delight. It's up on Crunchyroll as well.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, the Rose of Versailles, Patlabor and Cobra are the real gems here that have stood the test of time. The rest are watchable but, with a couple of exceptions like certain episodes of Lupin, Harlock or Dirty Pair, not quite as memorable and rather dated in various ways. I wonder how many people would really watch all of Gatchaman, though the feature does point out this isn't strictly necessary.

The weakest entry is probably Fist of the North Star, which is quite poorly written most of the time. It's "good" for sheer spectacle and laughing at how many times the heads of cartoonishly evil goons blow up, along with the oh-so-tragic backstories of major villains that don't really have enough sympathy points to justify their behavior. Plus how often Kenshiro fails to save someone even though he totally has all the skills to do a much better job. It's certainly iconic, but not exactly timeless in storytelling quality.

Last edited by jroa on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Raneth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
I just watched Ringing Bell.

Whoa.

So much to potentially unpack. I think the moral of "consider long term ramifications of impulsive choices" has a lot of relevance right now...

Last edited by Raneth on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
No Galaxy Express? Sacrilegious!
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Saddened about the lack of Ashita no Joe but still good article
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Ten Old-School Anime Classics You Can't Watch Streaming Right Now

Quote:
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.

Or how to further disappoint a recently Brexited anime fan in one simple article Sad
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, Project Eden! Smile

I saw the Patlabor movie for the first time a few weeks ago, during that period where Hulu was killing off all its anime. Really dug it; very slow and methodical (it's a detective movie), with an amazing final half hour loaded with the best animation the 80s had to offer. But, it's slow and heady, and anime fans don't like slow and heady...
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, I actually own most of these. The only ones I haven't seen are Gatchaman (I don't think it's really my thing, but I guess I could give it a shot since it is free online) and Sherlock Hound (the "Hayao Miyazaki worked on it" thing is actually why I'm specifically avoiding it, because unlike most anime fans, I don't like his work). I liked most of them, but Captain Harlock didn't do it for me.

but Rose of Versaille, 80s Dirty Pair, and Space Adventure Cobra are ones I especially loved. And Ringing Bell is just depressing as hell. And I'm very happy that Discotek got Lupin series 2 (series 1 was "meh" for me)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Great recommendations Mike.

Daryl wrote this.

How dumb of me. I apologize to Daryl.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then just stop at episode 108.

Daryl gets it. Fist stops at the end of Raoh's arc. Buronson and Hara wanted to end it there but it was reader demand that kept it going, and it gets worse as it goes on to the point where the final arc with Bulge is a huge slap in the face and them saying: "that's it, no more!" Shame Toei decided to keep going with the anime, but at least they stopped at Kaioh, a bit before Bulge. It did however, give us the absolutely kick-ass opening Tough Boy!

Last edited by Angel'sArcanum on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
as someone who watched Ringing Bell at the tender age of about 7, I totally agree with calling it "among the single most effed-up 50 minutes of scarred-for-life-tier children's animation ever made" - and yet still it's something worth watching on some levels. seriously, the ending of that had me so emotionally traumatized I wouldn't watch any cartoons featuring sheep as the main character for years. why did the VHS box for that have to be so misleading, making it sound like such a fun family film? and that big old "by the creators of Unico" bit drawing me in too (since I was freaking obsessed with Unico back then).

I mean, seriously, I watched Bambi and even Watership Down with no problem as a small child, I was even watching horror movies with my older brother (when he was supposed to be babysitting me) at a very young age... but Ringing Bell seriously emotionally effed me up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4