• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ten Old-School Anime Classics You Can Watch Streaming Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.

Or how to further disappoint a recently Brexited anime fan in one simple article Sad

I shall admit that we have had better days...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
One thing that was really disappointing was that Hulu had all of Dirty Pair up for streaming until some time last month. Had I known that it was going to be taken down so soon, I would have binge-watched the entire collection!
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
No Galaxy Express? Sacrilegious!

And Crunchyroll has it.

Zin5ki wrote:

I shall admit that we have had better days...

Best quote of the day:
"Leave voter on BBC: 'I'm shocked & worried. I voted Leave but didn't think my vote would count - I never thought it would actually happen.'"
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Saddened about the lack of Ashita no Joe but still good article

There is no Ashita no Joe mentioned because that series is not streaming. You can only watch the sequel series which picks up where the first left off.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
No Galaxy Express? Sacrilegious!

Given the choice between the Galaxy Express 999 TV series--which is streaming, yes--and the Captain Harlock television series directed by Rintaro as a representative "Leiji Matsumoto anime from when he was good that people can see streaming," I don't think it's in any way controversial to pick Rintaro's Harlock. Nor do I think it's a daring statement to say that the truly great Galaxy Express 999 anime is not the television series but the first two theatrical films (also directed by Rintaro), and while both are sold in the US, neither are streaming. Again, I'd have recommended Yamato over all of the above were it available.

jroa wrote:
The weakest entry is probably Fist of the North Star

Even if one were to accept the premise that this is "the weakest entry" in the list (primarily due to abundant filler which I've advised be skipped over), Fist of the North Star is still something for which roughly 30 years later they are continuing to make new merchandise, new animation, new comics, new games etc for. This is no minor feat. Consider this: of all that came out in 2015, how much of those anime are remembered now? What in the mid-2040s will people look back on and remember even having existed? If even the alleged weakest entry on the list managed to stand the test of time to such a degree, then I'd say it's a pretty solid set of recommendations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Pitch-perfect list. Every pick is MANDATORY for anime buffs. FotNS, Cobra, Lupin, Dirty Pair are all beyond the shit. Fist of the North Star is my favorite manga of all time, and the anime only expands on the beauty. That's an excellent and concise recommendation for watching the series too. I had to skip around a bunch of the early episodes because so much was filler. Late part of the series has cool animation and great music where it matters, but I don't blame anybody for stopping short of completing the anime.

I would go so far as to say that when you can scrape together the bucks, pick up DVD copies of all of these. Good good list.
horseradish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Never seen most of this list, but I have seen Patlabor in its entirety. Not only would I not recommend it to anyone aside from the third movie, but from a genre standpoint Patlabor is easily outclassed by most of Gundam and- Hey wait a second

>realizes most of the decent classics never got licensed let alone streamed

Oh.... This makes me sad. Sad As for everything else, there are too many entries in their franchises so I have no real interest in watching any of them (at least for now, I may have to pick some up so I can sneak back to some forums).
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

Even if one were to accept the premise that this is "the weakest entry" in the list (primarily due to abundant filler which I've advised be skipped over), Fist of the North Star is still something for which roughly 30 years later they are continuing to make new merchandise, new animation, new comics, new games etc for. This is no minor feat. Consider this: of all that came out in 2015, how much of those anime are remembered now? What in the mid-2040s will people look back on and remember even having existed? If even the alleged weakest entry on the list managed to stand the test of time to such a degree, then I'd say it's a pretty solid set of recommendations.

Going by what you've said here and elsewhere, I am going to make my position as clear as possible.

1. I didn't say that half of the titles on the list were bad. No, they're all perfectly valid entries for this feature. In fact, I didn't even question the idea of putting together this list nor its usefulness. There's nothing wrong with that. However, I think the readers of this feature should be allowed to prefer certain shows to others and comment on them.

2. The only entry that I actually criticized on any deeper level was Fist of the North Star. Again, I am not saying the show isn't iconic nor memorable. It's clear that people remember it even to this day. It was very popular and played an important role in the development of the industry. But the quality of the writing just isn't great. There are plot holes, arbitrary power or skill fluctuations, dumb situations and obvious cases of retroactive continuity. This doesn't only happens in the filler episodes either, though they will also be an issue for many potential viewers .

3. As a matter of fact, I think both Kill la Kill and Code Geass are better than Fist of the North Star. They're not exactly masterpieces nor shining beacons of perfection in terms of writing or originality, but there's more to either of them than to Kenshiro's adventures. In other words, I like both shows and don't think they're immune to criticism.

Ironically enough, it's actually rather likely that in 20 or 30 years both of them may be considered appropriate for the purposes of drafting an equivalent list. Why? Because, beyond whatever opinions you believe to be socially acceptable right now, they were both very popular shows, regardless of any controversies or criticisms involved (which, as FOTNS has proven, doesn't prevent a sufficiently popular anime from becoming memorable or iconic). Needless to say, the same could be said about things like One Piece, Naruto and Bleach, among other titles.

Last edited by jroa on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Woe, thy name is "region locked".

Quote:
FotNS, Cobra, Lupin, Dirty Pair are all beyond the shit.
One could even say they'r beyond..... Thunderdome! Razz
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Granted, Hokuto 2 isn't that good, but it isn't that bad lol. I'd rather have it than be without it.

jroa wrote:
Plus how often Kenshiro fails to save someone even though he totally has all the skills to do a much better job.

A good portion of the time, civilians die when Kenshiro's not around, or he gets there during the middle of their dying with barely enough time for last words, or they're dead already.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since no one human was ever meant to actually watch every installment of this generally episodic series

Not to toot my own horn but I myself have personally watched all 200+ episodes of Lupin across all 4 TV series. It's really not that hard to pull off (especially if you skipped the first 30/31 episodes of Series 2 but yet watched almost all of Series 1 despite having already completed it years earlier Razz).

And for what it's worth it's episode count is considerably less than some of the more longer animes that Japan still has on TV less so if you pluck out non essential episodes of which they're were quite a few in Series 2 & 3.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:

A good portion of the time, civilians die when Kenshiro's not around, or he gets there during the middle of their dying with barely enough time for last words, or they're dead already.

You have made a decent point about that issue, but it's still awfully convenient in those cases too. Why? Because whenever the show wants Kenshiro to arrive right at the perfect moment to save anyone, he will most certainly get there on time, no matter where he was supposed to be before. Thus you can argue that time isn't treated consistently. That said, I'll be flexible and cut the series a little slack here since this is also common in many other shows from this genre and aimed at the same audience.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

1. I didn't say that half of the titles on the list were bad. No, they're all perfectly valid entries for this feature. In fact, I didn't even question the idea of putting together this list nor its usefulness. There's nothing wrong with that. However, I think the readers of this feature should be allowed to prefer certain shows to others and comment on them.

Given that you are electing to not respond to me on my Twitter, which you're clearly reading, my recommendation to you is to say "instead of watching THAT entry on the list, watch THIS instead for the following reason." Then I can say "here is the reason why I picked what I did instead of that."

In any case, what you are attributing to poor/convenient writing in Fist of the North Star is in fact part of the central theme of the series, which mirrors that of Greek tragedy: the struggle against or acceptance of fate. The fact that Kenshiro for all of his power is still unable to save everybody is not some cheap deficiency of narrative. That is specifically and explicitly what the story is about.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Never seen most of this list, but I have seen Patlabor in its entirety. Not only would I not recommend it to anyone aside from the third movie, but from a genre standpoint Patlabor is easily outclassed by most of Gundam and- Hey wait a second

Most of the major Gundam anime titles are not available to be watched streaming anyway, and when they are it's often via some confusingly curated Youtube channel where the videos are only accessible for very short periods of time. My praise of Patlabor (here, for example) is with regards to its versatility of genre: it can be mystery, procedural drama, comedy, surreal. With the exception of a few of the later "AU" television series and some of the shorter OAVs, Gundam is pretty rooted in the kind of story that it's telling. It is rather odd for a Gundam fan to express hesitation to watch anime on the grounds of "these things ran too long and had too many sequels." Smile

Recommending only Patlabor WXIII to people as you have is an extremely wild outlier of a position to take. Most fans of the series dislike it (I personally do not) because members of the cast from the remaining OAVs, TV show, and films are only seen for a few minutes. This is probably because it was never originally meant to be a Patlabor film at all. In the event you meant to only recommend people watch the second movie--possible given that it frequently appears on lists of greatest anime movies of all time--I personally recommend fans watch other Patlabor first beyond just the first movie so they can contextually know who these characters are and what the status quo is. The second film is certainly excellent on its own merits, but it was intended as a finale after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
OH I sure do love not getting those Crunchyroll shows in Australia Very Happy

I haven't seen Harlock or Rose of Versailles in so long. I wanted to rewatch them but looks like I won't be able to...
Responder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I live in Australia, so none of these are available, to my knowledge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4