• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 68% of Japanese College Students Polled Have Never Seen Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vision33r

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Original 0079 Gundam is not that popular in the late 90s. Z Gundam was much more popular as well as the AU series such as Wing and Seed.

I have watched every series except for Turn A and V.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
32% is HUGE if this mean just the original series! Most of the people polled weren't even alive when it came out. Could you think of any piece of media, that isn't required to be consume in school, where 32% of the college student have watched/read it in america/europe? I doubt 32% of people have fully read the bible even in very religious area.

Specially in a country like Japan where according the answerman 200,000 people watch anime, the other 127 million don't know that shows like Gundam exists. Wink (sarcasm)

I have watched the movie compilation of Gundam. The animation quality was really bad but the show overall was pretty great, one issue I have was the design of the mechas: they look like plastic toys. But overall it's a pretty great classic of animation and of Japanese culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Re-runs are very rare in Japanese TV, A anime is something to be watched 1 time and that's it, except for the few people that buy the DVD/BD.

I've seen this statement for years, but I honestly doubt its truth. While I was in Japan a few weeks ago, I stumbled across a few reruns on TV, namely Gundam 0079 and Orguss. While 0079 wasn't much of a shocker, I certainly didn't expect to see something like Orguss running on TV. I think the reruns are more common than folks outside Japan tend to believe.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
What was the sample size?

KilluaX3 wrote:
How many were polled? Is this one of those 100 people polls?

Kadmos1 wrote:
This is why I tend to not trust polls. They will survey a small population then apply the results to a general populous. That is called exaggeration. If they had literally surveyed all Japanese college students, then that 68% would carry more weight.

You guys all know that you can just like...click on the source link and see this information for yourself, right? If you did, then person after person wouldn't need to keep asking this question. The sample size is 401 college students (204 men, 197 women) asked from June 9th to June 11th 2016.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3