• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Horrible Girlfriends [2016-06-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
The more I hear about Yuno the less I want to watch Mirai Nikki.

Also, I voted for Futurama

Yuno = Best Yandere ever! That's the only reason I watched it in the first place; that she's a yandere. She became more appealing to me when she turned out to be crazier and more awesome when I could imagine. And honestly, most characters she kills aren't even sympathetic or very appealing.

Same here. The crazier she got the better the series got. That said, if he doesn't like the sound of her, he won't like the series most likely. She single handedly made that series awesome so if someone can't appreciate her, I doubt they would appreciate Mirai Nikki.
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
The more I hear about Yuno the less I want to watch Mirai Nikki.

To each his or her own of course, but Yuno really is the reason to watch Future Diary. The other parts of the anime are rather meh: numbered, not very well fleshed out antagonists, ludicrous over the top horribleness that's so camp it's hard to suspend disbelief, and also not really enjoyable. But I'm still glad I watched it because of the horror-trainwreck that is Yuno. To me, that piece felt like the real horror/thriller, rather than the Future Diary itself, watching as Yuki becomes trapped into staying with her, and she just gets more and more horrible. No, you aren't supposed to like her, she's more like a horror movie monster. But if watching horror isn't your cup of tea, definitely don't watch Future Diary.

The only other anime I've seen any of on this list is Death Note, but yeah, I totally expected Yuno to be #1 on this list regardless.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
>Misa the loyal one is on this list

Just no. I saw the cyborg poll and became disappointed Cutey Honey and Gai Shishioh were that low (and wouldn't Schwartz from G Gundam also count? where's he?). As for the cartoon list poll I went with NA because I don't watch animation these days outside of South Park. Well, mostly.
Xavon wrote:
Why not have Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.?

Seconding this, it was very spiritually faithful to the comics and had many awesome moments! Cool
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Why were so many of the cartoons on the new poll not ongoing? Is there no vetting process? Does no one actually read the poll before putting a write-in answer? Odd.

As for the list this week, I pretty much agree with it. I'd put a number of very annoying tsunderes on the list, personally, but that's largely a result of my general dislike for that archetype. As for School Days, Sekai is honestly as bad as Kotonoha, if not worse, but a lot of her reasons for being terrible have more to do with her causing/exacerbating so many of the problems in the plot, rather than anything specifically related to being a girlfriend.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Xavon wrote:
Why not have Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.?

Seconding this, it was very spiritually faithful to the comics and had many awesome moments! Cool

Chiming in to say I third this. Agents of S.M.A.S.H. was very enjoyable to watch. I don't know why people ripped on it so much.
Justy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
With current being the criteria, a bunch of these shouldn't be on the poll as they've finished their run. Also, if you put Voltron on here, you might as well put the Dragons series on it, too. My votes were for Steven Universe, Star vs. The Forces of Evil, and Rick and Morty.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Chiming in to say I third this. Agents of S.M.A.S.H. was very enjoyable to watch. I don't know why people ripped on it so much.

Oh that's easy not like whatever era of the Hulk comics that the critics liked, some cheesy cliche humor, everyone is in Hulk mode all the time, and some corny writing.

But I thought it was okay especially with the fact that it had the best portrayal of the Hulk of the three series.

meiam wrote:
Wait Kotonoha makes the cut but her boyfriend does't make the worst boyfriend list?

Did her boyfriend brutally kill her and murder the person she was cheating with?

And yeah that poll on American cartoons is awkward.

But if I had to list my favorites (many of which aren't currently on air)

It would be

Beware The Batman
Samurai Jack
Megas XLR
TMNT 2003
Action Man
GI Joe Renegades
Young Justice
Thundercats (2011)
The Boondocks
Family Guy
Avengers EMH/ Avenger's Assemble
Ultimate Spider-Man
Batman The Brave & The Bold
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Samurai Jack
Megas XLR
Thundercats (2011)

Megas and Thundercats were two more that died an ignoble cancellation far too soon.

And I am still waiting for the return of Samurai Jack we were promised at the end of last year.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a first for me re ANN List: I've actually watched all of these shows re Worst Girlfriend. I usually fare well to actually see one-half what you writers post as standard material among true believers of anime with regard to the topic at hand.

Although I disagree with your reasonings behind choices #7 (Misaki Nakahara) and #2 (Nanako Saeki) being on the list I wholeheartedly congratulate you for choosing Yuno Gasai, who represents an extremely close facsimile of my ex-fiancee pick from my descent into madness over a decade ago. Topic Header star-gazer choice: yeah, 5 days before committing to a marriage from Hell I managed to come to my senses after being continually victimized by the tyranny of non-stop screaming if she didn't get her way plus my first ever nervous breakdown from which I barely recovered in time to bail. My oh my, it's an amazing resemblance of her, complete with middle finger extended once our discussions would exceed the unwritten 7 second rule should both of us coincidentally be in the same room attempting conversation. Future Diary: the retelling of my untold story about a lonely victim who paid dearly for almost choosing style over substance in a significant commitment.

Tip o' the hat to you, Lynzee, choosing my ex-fiancee as the #1 pick. I often wished she would have actively sought help rather than choosing to continually ignore the gravity of her situation blaming others.

As far current American cartoon interest my top choice would be South Park. It's sad when they're bad but when they aren't the topics chosen make for exquisite biting social commentary in context with the times.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Pointless troll comment removed. ~ Psycho 101

This is so funny. But to each their own.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
To each his or her own of course, but Yuno really is the reason to watch Future Diary. The other parts of the anime are rather meh: numbered, not very well fleshed out antagonists, ludicrous over the top horribleness that's so camp it's hard to suspend disbelief, and also not really enjoyable. But I'm still glad I watched it because of the horror-trainwreck that is Yuno. To me, that piece felt like the real horror/thriller, rather than the Future Diary itself, watching as Yuki becomes trapped into staying with her, and she just gets more and more horrible. No, you aren't supposed to like her, she's more like a horror movie monster. But if watching horror isn't your cup of tea, definitely don't watch Future Diary.

We're definitely going to agree to disagree here. Like many other entries in the survival/murder game genre, and perhaps more than most, Future Diary is based on spectacle, and while I'll freely admit that the series is one Demolition Derby fireball of a spectacle, there wasn't anything else to make it compelling to me, and Yuno was part of the problem. There are a lot of shows where you ask yourself "what weird, convoluted nonsense is the writer going to pull out of his rear end next," and I felt there were more than enough for me to pass on watching Future Diary to the end.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I remember my reaction to the end of Welcome to the NHK (the novel; not really familiar with the manga or anime):

spoiler["Were their lives just saved by the power of love? Confused"]

I know, I know...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing people are adding the shows that long since finished airing, so I just voted for series that are actually airing or in-between seasons.

Venture Bros., Rick & Morty and Star vs. The Forces of Evil which seems like it's finally coming back with new episodes next month. I figure there'll be enough votes for some other great shows like Steven Universe amongst others, but hopefully seeing it on the poll means some others will discovery it.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I kinda just consider myself an animation fan as a whole, because I've gone through phases where I either watched more anime or more Western animation, and it really depends on what's currently airing whether I like one or the other more. There's still so much animation as a whole that I really need to catch up on. I'm watching Steven Universe right now, but I was also really into Gravity Falls when it was still on.

As for the countdown list, I don't think yanderes are "my type". Heck, even some tsunderes are a little too abrasive for me. My first boyfriend was a mixture of both (alternately ignoring me, stalking me, and trying to control me), and my most recent girlfriend was so far on the "tsun" side when we broke up, I couldn't tell whether she actually loved me anymore or not. I do periodically feel sorry for tsunderes and yanderes, though-- I wonder if they're insecure because a previous lover broke their heart and their trust so badly that they need someone to rebuild it. And maybe with the right lover they can, who knows?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Knowing how fickle and violent a yandere's personality can be on the spot, they more often than not wouldn't be my first choice for a date... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

But...If I had to choose which girl to go out for a walk in at a park, Kaede would be my first pick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6