• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2006-12-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petesarlette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with your point. Also, Fullmetal Alchemist does the same sort of thing. Along the lines about what war can do to the survivors I mean. These type of shows try tell us that war is horrible as hell, and that something should or could be done about it.

Violence in anime can make an otherwise boring series more interesting. People that say that there is too much violence in anime also need to remember one other thing, it's not real, it's fantasy. It's a cartoon, it doesn't use real people in it's production, besides voice actors.

As for sexual content. I stay away from the serious stuff, like where there's a lot of nudity and sex. It's just not in my good taste to like that sort of thing. Although I do enjoy fanservice in moderate doses. But hey, who doesn't? It's harmless when it isn't used a ton.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Romeo X Juliet, Gankutsuou and Les Miserables.....
I dont see what the big deal is about classics being made into anime. Classics are classic because they have been around for a long time and stood the test of time and golly gee, they are still good. It seems only natural to me to see anime titles of beloved classics. Although I do agree that they could have chosen a better Shakespear to do. Othello, Macbeth, or th Merchant of Venice would have been better picks then Romeo and Juliet. Anyways I dont see why everyone is getting their pantys in a knot about Les Miserables. Im looking forward to that one. If you really dont want to see an adaptation though... just dont watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
No, of course not, because nobody cares what the hobos think. He's just some crazy, crusty old loon, tossed out with the rest of the trash. It's basically the same thing as the random jerkbags that troll forums; think of them as the internet's crazy hobos. See how easy it is to disregard them now?
Zac, don't you think this statement was just a little too harsh? I think even hobos would feel insulted by being equated with forum trolls. Wink

Seriously though, you're comments on how to deal with the common "angry poster" is spot-on. All you can do is ignore most of them. They want you to get angry and start posting. Their goal is to get you to post something worse than what they posted, getting you in trouble.

They're baiting you in hopes of doing you some tiny bit of Internet harm.

On the subject of One Piece, all I can say is that while I think Zac's comments, while realistic, fail to take into account one important fact: corporations can and do make very illogical decisions. It's unlikely that anyone will be jumping to get the license, but it's far from impossible.

Patience and hope be with you One Piece fans.

I am curious though why people keep claiming that Naruto is "butchered" as was mentioned in an earlier post. Compared to the edits, re-scripting, music changes, and poor casting choices made with One Piece, the word "butchered" seems laughable in Naruto's case.

And Zac's prejudices aside, Les Miserables - Shoujo Cosette sounds like an interesting viewing experience. I'm quite fond of classic literary adaptions and not the least bit bothered by overly cute character designs or fanservice regardless of the age of the characters.

The reason that a story like Les Miserable is a classic is because it has timeless themes, the same as Romeo and Juliet, so you can expect to keep seeing adaptions of them for the rest of your lives.
Vikio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to imagine a japanese "Midsummer Night's Dream" I've seen that play performed in a couple of different ways, but seeing the lover's mess in anime style would probably either suck, or be sooo funny! Plus anime Puck would probably be Anime catgrin cuuute! well either that, or eevil-type, which is good too.

Yes, I'm obsessing over a non-existant anime. Shocked
oe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
In a perfect world, I'd like to see One Piece bought by CN, Bravo, Showtime, IFC, something like that, subbed, and played in one random late night timeslot every night for a year. How hard would that be? a dream, I guess...

And the Tempest would make a good anime, I think. It's already been lifted from, by scifi authors like Dan Simmons and I'm sure others too. The scene where Trinculo hides under Caliban and is thought to be a four-legged, two-mouthed beast by Stephano is hilarious. I think this type of humor would go over well in animated form. And in Japanese.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hamlet would probably make a good anime--if only because the guy has "angsty bishounen" written all over him. Anime hyper (I say this as someone who actually loves Hamlet, but...admit it, he IS angsty.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this was mentioned before, but I didn't read through all the pages so mind my (possible) ignorance.

I really don't think that One Piece, even aired uncut would be all that hot in the US.
My reasoing behind this is the manga sales. I can't be too sure, but it doesn't seem to be performing so great. I mean One Piece is currently the best selling manga series in Japan, and an incredibly popular anime. In the US, it attained nowhere near that level of success. The One Piece manga has been in US publication for quite some time and seems to have had fairly little impact (again, I can't be too sure, and I am thus basing it off of anectodal evidence). Now if the manga isn't doing that well, I wouldn't think that even an uncut version of the anime would have done too much better. But again, this is anectodal evidence being used to justify this argument.
In any case, at this point in its life, I don't think it really will benefit at all even from an uncut release.
tkwelge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the Europification of anime kinda bothers me. Recently, many shows and movies have turned towards a Europhilia that I find uninteresting. Between Full Metal Alchemist, the Read or Die movie (I never watched the show because the movie sucked), Steamboy, Trinity Blood, etc, I think we have more than enough Europe based content. Also, I believe that there is a certain amount of anti-americanism that is driving a shift towards Europe and the "real" western culture that everyone has convinced themselves Europe represents. Hopefully it's only temporary, because many of these shows and movies are at least disappointing, or at the worst, crap.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Kikyo:
Quote:
Secondly, you can't compare DBZ with One Piece, they're made by two totally different companies and aimmed to two totally different audiences.

Um, they're both produced by Toei and released in the same time slots in Japan.
I think you meant distributed by different companies, though.

Busaiku:
Quote:

I really don't think that One Piece, even aired uncut would be all that hot in the US.
My reasoing behind this is the manga sales. I can't be too sure, but it doesn't seem to be performing so great. I mean One Piece is currently the best selling manga series in Japan, and an incredibly popular anime. In the US, it attained nowhere near that level of success. The One Piece manga has been in US publication for quite some time and seems to have had fairly little impact (again, I can't be too sure, and I am thus basing it off of anectodal evidence). Now if the manga isn't doing that well, I wouldn't think that even an uncut version of the anime would have done too much better.

If done right, it would have at least made its money back. Toei's partly to blame for this fiasco, too. They chose a company whose only real successes were in monster cock-fighting instead of a company which had experience marketing actual shonen fighting anime. Yeah, Ultimate Muscle seemed to do ok with 4Kids, but that was still nothing compared to DBZ and YYH.
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Most of my posts are brought to you by the Pepsi Cola Company, specifically the Mountain Dew division. Except the ones that are brought to you by Tylenol Sinus. I think the former are more interesting, but the latter are more fun. Well... except maybe for the moderators.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Hamlet would probably make a good anime--if only because the guy has "angsty bishounen" written all over him. Anime hyper (I say this as someone who actually loves Hamlet, but...admit it, he IS angsty.)

To quote a random poster at school
random poster at school wrote:
He hates his Girlfriend,
His mother is married to his uncle,
And his father is a ghost.

Not that is teen angst.
Laughing ...well I thought it was funny.

tkwelge wrote:
A lot of the Europification of anime kinda bothers me

I don't mind it too much. Europe doesn't produce many animations in the vein of older eering (though not nessicarrily mature) programs, so I think these at least somewhat compensate. I do hope, however, that more companies follow the example of the french animated film "Renniscance". Wester culture needs more films in that vein.

Zac wrote:
into a defensive tizzy is some 13-year old nicknamed "CloudStrifeXXX333" saying "that show sux lol"

Just a quick thought, one that I've been having since I was twelve, but still remains now, after reading this: Why do people seem to look so far down on 12, 13, 14 year olds? I mean, it's been almost a year since I fit into the last of these catagories, but the perception of this demographic remains the same. Personally, I don't recall doing anything quite that immature at that point in time, and, to me, that seems like something a 10 year old would do, not a 13 year old.

Jason Hendricks wrote:
I'm 18, I can choose what is and isn't appropriate for me, kids can't.
Define kids. Anyone under 18? Anyone under 15? Anyone under 12? Most 15 year olds (at least among the ones I know) can handle themselves in terms of knowing what is/isn't appropriate for oneself. 12 year olds, not so much, but I do think that, to a mild extent, they aren't given quite as much credit as they may deserve.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:

Zac wrote:
into a defensive tizzy is some 13-year old nicknamed "CloudStrifeXXX333" saying "that show sux lol"

Just a quick thought, one that I've been having since I was twelve, but still remains now, after reading this: Why do people seem to look so far down on 12, 13, 14 year olds? I mean, it's been almost a year since I fit into the last of these categories, but the perception of this demographic remains the same. Personally, I don't recall doing anything quite that immature at that point in time, and, to me, that seems like something a 10 year old would do, not a 13 year old.

Well, I'm sure that there are a few adults that act the way Zac described but mostly it is reserved for the aforementioned age group.

But, people like that are not exactly welcome here. Or at least they are asked to correct their behavior. Yes, there are people of that age group here and some are very frequent posters. But most of them don't act the above manner, in fact they are some of the most eloquent people I've come across. I also think that I few of them write and express themselves a hell of a lot better than I do. With one particular poster, jaws were heard hitting the floor all over the place when she said that she was only 13, I for one thought that she was college-age at least.

So while YOU did not/do not behave in such a manner, others do...regardless of their actual age.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Someone_II wrote:

Zac wrote:

Just a quick thought, one that I've been having since I was twelve, but still remains now, after reading this: Why do people seem to look so far down on 12, 13, 14 year olds? I mean, it's been almost a year since I fit into the last of these categories, but the perception of this demographic remains the same. Personally, I don't recall doing anything quite that immature at that point in time, and, to me, that seems like something a 10 year old would do, not a 13 year old.

Well, I'm sure that there are a few adults that act the way Zac described but mostly it is reserved for the aforementioned age group.

I think Internet folks in general find themselves way too cute and funny for their own good, which is why you've got idiots like me with their own websites spouting opinions that would never be offered public. We're all weenies, and it's easier to talk smack to folks when there's no fist to reply to your mouth.

And secondly, the correct phrase is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating," Mr. Zac. For shame. BTW, you can thank Stephen King for showing me the way on that little truism. Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Someone:
Quote:
Just a quick thought, one that I've been having since I was twelve, but still remains now, after reading this: Why do people seem to look so far down on 12, 13, 14 year olds? I mean, it's been almost a year since I fit into the last of these catagories, but the perception of this demographic remains the same. Personally, I don't recall doing anything quite that immature at that point in time, and, to me, that seems like something a 10 year old would do, not a 13 year old.

I'm guessing it's due to crappy films geared toward that demo like Hackers. Rolling Eyes Laughing Frankly, though, I actually agreed with Nader's suggestion that 14 year olds should be allowed to vote.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:

Zac wrote:

It's just a generalization I believe, I don't think that many 10-year olds hand around forums as much as a 13 year olds, so generally that' around the yougest age that's stereotyped to post immaturely. I actually started posted in ANN around last year when I was only 14 and I didn't really, well emulate the stereotype. I think at least. Besides, probably a percentage of these "13-year-olds" are probably much older (but have a lower maturity level)

I was the person who actually submitted this question, because i'm always a victim of trolling. i'm always so tempted to defend my points, and try to be nice and polite. But all I get are rude, hateful comments directed towards me. It always suceeds in pissing me off because I try hard to make it polite and trying to be considerate of the other person. (but then again, emotions don't translate well over the internet)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7