• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Despair Arc

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Now we can clearly see where the passion of the production team went! The animation is obviously still limited but it's less embarassingly transparent like the other episode, the direction is clear and easy to watch this time (the other one in its attemps to darken everything it made many things hard to see) and the timing and amount of visual gags everywhere even if for a few seconds in the background (the 8 bits stills, Akane crucified, each one's reaction to Ibuki's guitar flaming / tooth playing / fire cooking, etc.) already shows how much fun they had. And cool, because I also can't get enough of the Remnants of Despair and I'm already both enjoying their stuff together and concerned about what will happen to them and the highschool, with events like the Twilight Syndrome Game (I guess Fuyuhiko's lil sister and that Sato girl will make an appearance, right?) or the Worst, Most Awful Incident in the history of Hope's Peak Academy (is there a way of shorten it?) and how they will connect to the events and themes.

It also retroactively improves the other episode by giving a ton of sympathy for Chisa, who before you only felt a little sympathy (when she said she was their teacher and that already told a lot) but that's it, but now you feel bad about what happened to her and see more the connection between her and Munakata who's going to have a bigger role in the other series. And aside of that this experiment of interchanging episodes from both series is so fascinating that I cannot wait to see the next ones. ANN is going to be a little overblown with so much written Danganronpa though Anime hyper

P.S.: So if there's a real-life Chiaki, I wonder how much the simulation-modeled was made to her and if it included also her memories (and whether it was made thanks to Chihiro's knowledge), or she was the authentic one. Either way, she's dead :_D
Faeris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Really liked the episode but I know I'm in for a big fall as this goes on lol
;o;
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
I'm sure a familiarity with the second game would have enhanced my viewing experience, but I enjoyed this immensely. I love the insane world in which this franchise is set, and it's great to see it fully embrace its zany side.
Don Perron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
I just want to know where is the Danganronpa 0 cast.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
I suppose playing the second game is necessary to enjoy these two new anime? As an anime-only viewer, I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't adapt Danganronpa 2 first to prevent this alienation...
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
Having just finished watching a playthrough of the second game and then going to watching this, it was great to see the characters I liked much more than first game animated. I think if I hadn't had some familiarity with the characters, I wouldn't have been laughing as much as I did, though

In my opinion, I think you could possibly watch Despair Arc without knowledge of the second game. You might be lost on quite a few things, like Twilight Murder Syndrome, but it's possible. I do think even watching a playthrough of the game (like I just finished) is definately better and gives a more enjoyable experience.

But, that's just me.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
I preferred the cast of the 2nd game too but knowing how it will go what with it being a prequel makes me nervous for feels.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I suppose playing the second game is necessary to enjoy these two new anime? As an anime-only viewer, I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't adapt Danganronpa 2 first to prevent this alienation...

The creator has publicly opposed adapting Danganronpa 2 into an anime. He feels that the story (specifically, Chapter 2) would be too difficult to adapt into a non-interactive medium.

Jacob Chapman recorded a playthrough of the entire second game and uploaded it to Youtube, so if you just want to watch the story without having to buy/play the game, there's that option. Otherwise, both games are bundled together on Steam (complete with the tagline: "You can't save your friends, but you can save 10%").
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
It was a nice touch to actually tie-in the future part as the "primary" one, as Yukizome's recollecting following the events of her death. It will be nice if the two shows will have more moments like that, but I can't really see how it will play out. Maybe, except, for a The Godfather Part II-esque way, where the two events follow a similar route and plot, and are shown concurrently.

Also, is the character name [Nagito Komaeda] suppose to be an amalgam for [Da (The) Makoto Naegi]? Having both voiced by Ogata Megumi is a pretty suspicious Confused

Last edited by Hameyadea on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Not trying to be mean, but I don't recommend watching if you aren't familiar with 2. That's the whole point of this anime is that its for fans of the second game. Even Future Arc is the direct result of what happens in 2.

Hameyadea wrote:

Also, is the character name [Nagito Komaeda] suppose to be an amalgam for [Da (The) Makoto Naegi]? Having both voiced by Ogata Megumi is a pretty suspicious Confused

Yes it is. He's suppose to be a dark parallel to Makoto. It also fooled people like me into thinking he was Makoto in the second game.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Actar wrote:

Not trying to be mean, but I don't recommend watching if you aren't familiar with 2. That's the whole point of this anime is that its for fans of the second game. Even Future Arc is the direct result of what happens in 2.

Hameyadea wrote:

Yes it is. He's suppose to be a dark parallel to Makoto. It also fooled people like me into thinking he was Makoto in the second game.

You are right. I watched this episode without playing the game and i can say not knowing the characters or story took away part of the enjoyment for me
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Catching up to this series took a while. I bought DR2 during the Steam July 4 sale and burned through it, then watched the Another playthrough on Youtube. They were both so good, especially DR2. I actually liked the cast of DR2 a little more than the first, so I was so sad to find out in the final trial that they were all Ultimate Despair( save Hinata and Chiaki). Guess now we'll see what Junko did to them.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
Catching up to this series took a while. I bought DR2 during the Steam July 4 sale and burned through it, then watched the Another playthrough on Youtube. They were both so good, especially DR2. I actually liked the cast of DR2 a little more than the first, so I was so sad to find out in the final trial that they were all Ultimate Despair( save Hinata and Chiaki). Guess now we'll see what Junko did to them.

Actually, it was only Chiaki who wasn't an ultimate despair, as Hinata most definitely was one of them. The only difference from the others was that he took on the identity of Izuru when he became an ultimate despair.

That said, I'm so interested in Chiaki's role in the Despair Arc. Seeing as we're now confirmed that she was a real student, I'm more excited than ever to find out more about what her role and importance to the story is.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
GlassesMan wrote:

Actually, it was only Chiaki who wasn't an ultimate despair, as Hinata most definitely was one of them. The only difference from the others was that he took on the identity of Izuru when he became an ultimate despair.

That said, I'm so interested in Chiaki's role in the Despair Arc. Seeing as we're now confirmed that she was a real student, I'm more excited than ever to find out more about what her role and importance to the story is.

Kinda depends on how you look at it for Hajime. Technically, Hajime "died" when he was lobotomized to turn him into Izuru. Izuru, the personality who took his place, isn't Hajime in any way whatsoever. He's an intelligence that was created in a lab and transplanted into the brain of a poor normal kid who thought he was getting some kind of treatment to make him smarter or more special, when it was really more like just giving his body to science, since his own "self" would be destroyed in the process.

Science bits aside, it might as well be like Hajime had been killed and someone else's ghost was placed in his body. He has Hajime's brain and therefore memories of the person, but so much of Izuru was created and transplanted and mutated in the transformation process that it isn't really Hajime at all. The version of Hajime that existed inside the simulation was recreated from Hajime's own on-file data and Izuru's recollection of Hajime that he had by virtue of inheriting his memories, so you could even say that those are faulty and there is no "original" Hajime anymore. He died when he agreed to undergo the experiment, and every endeavor to get him back is not unlike creating Alter Ego from Chihiro Fujisaki or the simulation Chiaki AI from the real Chiaki, (who we now know was a student who actually existed). Or Junko! Is the Junko AI that still threatens the world really the same as the Junko human who died at the end of the first game? In the first game, you could somewhat separate Junko as a person from the role she plays as Monokuma, but as an AI, is she just literally Monokuma as much as Junko, since she has no one body or identity? MAKES YOU THINK.

It's a little screwed up, but you could see Hajime taking back his body at the end of Danganronpa 2 as an AI taking over the body of another person, who was themselves a body-snatcher of its original owner who will never really exist again. Depends on your take on the "realness" of artificial intelligence or what makes us a "self" outside of our own brains.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Kinda depends on how you look at it for Hajime. Technically, Hajime "died" when he was lobotomized to turn him into Izuru. Izuru, the personality who took his place, isn't Hajime in any way whatsoever. He's an intelligence that was created in a lab and transplanted into the brain of a poor normal kid who thought he was getting some kind of treatment to make him smarter or more special, when it was really more like just giving his body to science, since his own "self" would be destroyed in the process.

Science bits aside, it might as well be like Hajime had been killed and someone else's ghost was placed in his body. He has Hajime's brain and therefore memories of the person, but so much of Izuru was created and transplanted and mutated in the transformation process that it isn't really Hajime at all. The version of Hajime that existed inside the simulation was recreated from Hajime's own on-file data and Izuru's recollection of Hajime that he had by virtue of inheriting his memories, so you could even say that those are faulty and there is no "original" Hajime anymore. He died when he agreed to undergo the experiment, and every endeavor to get him back is not unlike creating Alter Ego from Chihiro Fujisaki or the simulation Chiaki AI from the real Chiaki, (who we now know was a student who actually existed). Or Junko! Is the Junko AI that still threatens the world really the same as the Junko human who died at the end of the first game? In the first game, you could somewhat separate Junko as a person from the role she plays as Monokuma, but as an AI, is she just literally Monokuma as much as Junko, since she has no one body or identity? MAKES YOU THINK.

It's a little screwed up, but you could see Hajime taking back his body at the end of Danganronpa 2 as an AI taking over the body of another person, who was themselves a body-snatcher of its original owner who will never really exist again. Depends on your take on the "realness" of artificial intelligence or what makes us a "self" outside of our own brains.

I had forgotten about the experiment that led to the creation of Izuru. Thanks for bringing that back up.

Other than that, it does subsequently beg the question of whether the Hinata in SDR2 is a true copy of the original or if he's a more idealized "perfect" version? It's things like this that probably helped elevate the cast of 2 to a higher level of popularity than the original's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9