• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 15

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
^
Which brings up a good point that I'd like some feedback on before I officially start the next round: Is going to 100 pages for this game too long? Or do we want to start doing 50-page rounds instead? The 100 page thing was an arbitrary choice back at the beginning anyway.

The other issue I'd like to bring up before starting the next round is the requirements for an acceptable answer, which has caused a kerfluffle a couple of different times this round. I've long wanted to tighten this up but don't want to make it too complicated/burdensome, so here's my proposal:

An acceptable answer must accurately identify the bolded speaker, who's being spoken to (if there's only one speaker) or the the other speakers (if there's more than one), AND at least one of the following:

1. The episode number (or how far into the movie if from a movie).
2. A brief description of why the quote is being said or what it really means.
3. A brief description of when or where it's happening.

Quote posters would still have discretion to accept less than a fully correct answer (such as being inaccurate on one of the secondary speakers) or allow an answer to be edited, provided that someone else hasn't already posted a better answer.

And Vaisaga, you might consider handicapping yourself, such as only answering a quote after a certain amount of time has passed or a certain number of hints have been posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
^
I've been thinking along the same lines.

Compulsory:
Speaker
Anime

Two of the following:
Addressee(s)
Episode #/how far into the film
Why the quote is being said or what it really means
When and where it's happening.

I think the addressee(s) could be optional because if someone knows the episode or why the quote is being said then surely that's sufficient to prove they've identified the quote.

I might also suggest that the quote-poster could specify the particular context they want, ie "the guesser must stipulate the location and who is present aside from the speaker", or "I want the episode # and the reason it's being said." If the quote-poster specifies those parameters then guessers must abide by that. (The speaker and anime must be identified in any case.) The quote-poster oughtn't add stipulations after the first hint is given. If the quote poster doesn't make stipulations then they ought to accept any two optional context descriptions.

Here's a wrinkle: if the quote isn't guessed after 44 hours, the first person to correctly identify just the speaker and anime gets the point - whether earlier with incorrect context or after the cut-off.

My suggestions are a variation on Key's, so I'm happy either way.

As scorer, and human nature being what it is, 50 page rounds would be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:33 am Reply with quote
I'm okay with what's suggested above. You know how I hate lazy "X speaking to Y from Z" answers. I think I prefer Errinundra's "at least two of the following" version. The quote poster specifying what they want the answer to include should be fine, but they should also be called out if those specifications are too strict.

As for round length, how about doing 3 month intervals like the character game?
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
I might also suggest that the quote-poster could specify the particular context they want

Every time there has been a dispute about context, it is because the quote poster demanded a description of the scene. Permitting the quote poster to specify what he wants among the 4 criteria is effectively the same as stating that the guesser must provide a description of what is going on in the scene. After all, a lenient quote poster can choose to accept the addressee as a sufficient description.

It leaves out episode number as an acceptable context, but the episode number is almost never used as the context, either alone or in conjunction with something else.

The rules should be honest and upfront about practice, when it is feasible to do so without being too wordy or difficult to read. This means we either:
(1) Make the rules simpler by simply requiring the guesser to provide a description or
(2) Give the guesser actual choice by forbidding the quote poster from specifying the type of context.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
I can get behind Errunundra's "two of the following" version of the requirement. However, I also agree that which two to do should entirely be the option of the answer poster. The quote poster gets enough leeway with being able to accept imperfect answers if they want.

The one exception to this might be cases where a quote appears multiple times. In such a case I wouldn't have a problem with the quote poster specifying "first use" or "who most commonly says it" or something like that.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Making the rounds shorter definitely sounds good, I always thought that the 100 pages was a bit too lengthy. And making the answer requirements stricter also sounds good. I'd agree to the "two of the following" suggestion, but with the guesser choosing the two things.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
I'm happy if we don't give the quote poster the option of specifying what context is required.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
Unless there are strong objections from someone I'll go ahead with the "two of four" rule change for the new round, then.

Any additional opinions on round length? I'll give about 12 more hours from the time of this post for that and then I'll start the next round.
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
It may be easiest if we simply synched the quote game with the character game. We are rather close to the start of the next quarter, so the next round can simply end on 06/30.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually like to stay away from doing that, for two reasons:

1) To keep this game distinct from the other one.
2) That puts the new rounds starting at the beginning of each quarter, which due to Preview Guide stuff are usually the busiest times of year for me.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd prefer a page limit to a seasonal limit. Coz it's different.
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
How typical that I should miss all the "new rules talk", but on the other hand the changes all sound good to me and I've had less time to play lately anyway.

Errinundra wrote:
I'd prefer a page limit to a seasonal limit. Coz it's different.

Another option is "first player to reach 20 points wins" (or 30 points in Vaisaga's case Wink ). That way there'd be no risk of a tie for first place and the players wouldn't know in advance when a round is about to end (unless they're keeping score ofc)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 101 of 101