• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The lighter tone of the episode certainly helped given the serious tone of the last episode as far as the ending with Riko and Chika I don't really think the story would be improved if their relationship went beyond mere friendship. As the shipper community in LL already has their favorite pairings and they are already going to see it whether it is made canon or not.

Along with the fact that I just find the whole idea of it going there distracting along with taking away from the beauty of genuine friendship by sexualizing it but that is just my opinion. still it nice to see some emotional honesty and Chika willing to let her friend do something for herself. Also, energetic Dia is great as getting to see Arisa Komiya play Dia as energetic
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the next episode will be You focused, which I appreciate as a You fan. She's also the one in most need of fleshing out so it's not bad for fans of the show in general. Even if it isn't, she seems to be involved in the next dramatic point, so she's going to get some development sooner than later.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed in this episode... after the strengths of 8 and 9, this was nothing but a pointless mess. The very few funny bits do not make up the lack of character development or plot progression. (And once again the unneeded callbacks intrude on what minuscule plot there was.)
limmaestro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
"Daisukidayo"

is all that I've got to say for this episode.

Aqours... never stop singing smiling dreaming and growing for all of us disillusioned with life!!!
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode 11 was the strongest of the series so far season two may be able to improve but the groundwork laid in previous episodes and this one make the series in some ways stronger than the original.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
today's love live episode was about you, and it was the gayest episode we have gotten.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
This episode's merch, of course, is the wrist band… wrist corsage… wrist scrunchie… help me out ladies, what do you even call these things?
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, Episode 11 is pretty much a mutual relationship neutralizer between You, Riko, and Chika.

But then, I still feel, albeit not that much, that Chika and Riko are likely to be a thing.
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
It was really nice seeing Mari giving advice to You. She certainly f***ed it up with Kanan, so she doesn't want to see it happen again with You and Chika. The direction was very good and subtle at portraying You's jealousy as well. I've been feeling like she lately, so it resonated with me a lot.

And Ruby and Zuramaru were the cutest at the pool. I can't get enough of Ruby's little "eek!".

And that presentation at the end was the most beautiful and best animated of the series so far. It seemed extremely fluid thanks to the constant change of camera shots, and the combination between CGI and 2D animation was perfect.

These last 3-4 episode have been amazing, full of emotional peaks and great character interactions. Character animation has been almost perfect and the presentations only get better. Please don't let this end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
It was said on the previous page that rather than You having received little development before now, she was probably going to get more focus in the sequel, or perhaps near the end like Kotori, but it was kind of even sooner. It was a good episode, I kind of liked You from what we have seen, and the extra stuff was good.
Muffum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised that the You drama was resolved already. Not to say I don't prefer it this way, but since we're so close to the end, I expected it to take up most of the rest of the series, like what happened with Kotori in season 1 of the original. I guess in this case the last couple episodes will be focused on the actual Love Live competition, though I'm not sure how that will ultimately turn out. The show might be able to pull it off, but if they end up winning the competition, I feel like it'll probably feel rushed.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, these last few episodes have been some amazing stuff. I'm still undecided as to whether this tops Season 2 or the movie, but this is without a doubt leagues better than Season 1 of the original series. By this point the original series was knee deep in uncharacteristically shoddy, poorly developed drama that left a big dirt mark on an otherwise really solid show. On the other hand, Sunshine is at the top of its game at this point.

I did really like Season 1, but it wasn't until Season 2 came around that I really fell in love with Love Live. And judging by the fact that Season 2's Blu-ray sales were roughly 3 times as big as Season 1 on average (28k compared to 82k) I don't think I'm alone in that opinion. But Sunshine has turned me into a superfan almost immediately.

Sunshine is easily the number one contender for anime of the year in my book. Hell, the fact that its managed to stand out to me in such a great season is an amazing feat in and of itself. Considering how lackluster next season looks, Sound Euphonium is probably the only show that has a chance of dethroning it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Just to make everyone super jealous before the final episode, a Love Live Sunshine pop-up store and cafe has opened in Harajuku, according to a news item from Dengeki G's:
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 merch is Dia's fan. Meh.

The Dengeki G's twitter account also posted a link to a master page for all the episode-specific merch.

Bamboo's review isn't up yet, but instead of waiting, my two cents: I was a little frustrated to return to the focus on μ's, even if the "save the school" plot did need to be dealt with, having been brought up and then forgotten in the whole third-years' drama arc. Though it does seem like the point of this episode is to finally put that stuff behind them, symbolized by Chika taking the μ's poster off her wall.

I also kind of wonder if she took the right lesson from μ's experience? I love the detail that μ's didn't leave behind their trophies, paraphernalia, or any physical record of their time at Otonokizaka, but was that really about "filling a void"? Seemed like the message of the original series was that the members were doing it for each other (and that's why they decided to break up after the third years graduated). Oh well, "turning a 0 into a 1" is an interesting metaphor to roll with. Let's see where they go with it next season, since the obvious point of this episode is to start setting up next season (and, in particular, Aqours' participation in the actual Love Live tournament).
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Oh well, "turning a 0 into a 1" is an interesting metaphor to roll with. Let's see where they go with it next season, since the obvious point of this episode is to start setting up next season (and, in particular, Aqours' participation in the actual Love Live tournament).

Well, if they don't close out the season next episode with Aqours performing "Step Zero to One", I'll be sorely disappointed, seeing as how much they've built up to it in this episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 16