• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Berserk

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Speaking of Puck, why is he almost always in chibi form now? Why just him and not Ivalera? Isidro has been spending more time chibified too, but not to the extent that Puck has.

It's just a running joke since Puck's always been associated with chestnuts. Plus with Guts's new party members, his support role to Guts diminishes in importance I guess, so he goofs around with Isidro a lot more.

vision33r wrote:
I don't give a damn about all these comments about the series so far. Give me the best art later when Guts is in full Eva mode.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. The best art is still most likely going to be mediocre at best.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Even this adaptation reminds me of why this arc's my favourite, I enjoyed this episode. Everything I'd like to say about the conflict between the priest and Schierke's best off left until next episode and the review said everything that needed to be said anyway, but I liked Isidro and Morgan's conversation. Morgan describing his childhood was about his dream being a means of ecapism from his own reality. As expected, Isidro gets pretty defensive about Morgan probing into his motivations. He's also evasive about his past, which reminds me that, aside from the (anime-only) scene of him in the bar, we don't know much about Isidro's background. Morgan's words might be more on point than Isidro wants to admit possibly.

Farnese's great moment of fending off the troll was ruined by that horrific expression. Sad
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It is kind of a shame that an episode with such profound philosophical musings had to end with the old, tired, "Caska in peril" plot device. Ah, well. I expect more good development for Farnese will result. This show has consistently been the highlight of my week since it came back on air, and it'll have to mess up a lot harder than that to ruin my enjoyment.
Souther

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Yet again, have to agree with Lauenroth about the music. The Berserk 2016/17 soundtrack is good (though I don't think it fits Berserk well) but it's being used badly. Like mentioned, you've got that track that plays when Serpico's confronting the Kelpie, then it starts blaring the (shitty) remixes of "My Brother" and "Griffith's Dream" from the Golden Age movies when it switches to Guts. The songs don't match the scenes, since the lyrics are about Griffith, him leading the old Band of the Hawk and his eventual turn into a God Hand member, but they're being used as generic action themes. And I thought I'd never get tired of Hai Yo, but it's happened.

Shortened copy-pasta from the other thread: The reveal of the 4 kings and the fact that both the witches and the Holy See worship them (the Holy See also share the same Hawk of Darkness prophecy, interestingly) adds another layer of context to Berserk's world. Somewhere along the line, magic came to be seen as heretical, but as Schierke mentioned before, there was a time where witches and magic were accepted and people shared similar beliefs before the spread of the Holy See. Even the Holy See still has remnants of those beliefs, albeit warped to suit their doctrine.

Compare that with the heretics in season 1, their terrible rituals and them unknowingly worshipping Slan as their goddess. They also have a warped view of pagan beliefs, co-opting elements of it for their own ends (mainly to escape their suffering and as rebellion towards the Holy See), further smearing the positive beliefs of witches like Flora. Aside from the conflict between the heretics and the Holy See Both perpetuating the suffering that set the stage for Griffith's incarnation, the conflict seems to serve another purpose in Berserk's world; divorcing people from beliefs and knowledge that would benefit their lives because it's deemed evil, and, ironically, cause people to turn to misguided beliefs and evil power instead (like Mozgus). Though, magic isn't a completely positive power, as seen in this episode, so perhaps there's more to it?

Griffith presenting himself as the Hawk of Light, the messiah on the Holy See's iconography furthers suggests that the God Hand have been using the Holy See as a tool to pave the way for Griffith's rule. Finally, going back to the Golden Age arc, Charlotte and Judeau talk about the legend of Gaiseric's kingdom being destroyed by 4-5 angels. Considering the Holy See's and the witches' shared beliefs, it makes me wonder whether or not 4 of the angels were actually the 4 kings and the potential 5th a God Hand? Who knows.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
I didn't understand what the protection spell on the church had to do with Serpico's inability to heal.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
^It's the other way around. If he stays behind, he can heal (like Morgan). It will just take a bit longer because Schierke is no longer keeping up the barrier. That's why he doesn't go with the others to rescue the women.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
Ah, ok. The way they said it ("He won't die, but he can't move yet," "My spell hasn't completely worn off but give it another night") made it sound like it was her spell that was inhibiting his recovery. So she was saying he'd still be safe there because of the remnants of the spell? Or are you saying the spell itself was healing people until she stopped maintaining it?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they didn't just roll over and give up on this production with the negative feedback last season. I started really looking forward to it about halfway through last season and that feeling's only increased since. This new arc is really engaging.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ah, ok. The way they said it ("He won't die, but he can't move yet," "My spell hasn't completely worn off but give it another night") made it sound like it was her spell that was inhibiting his recovery. So she was saying he'd still be safe there because of the remnants of the spell? Or are you saying the spell itself was healing people until she stopped maintaining it?

I took this to mean that he shouldn't move because he's gravely wounded - that he won't fall over and croak from moving, but that moving outside the healing spell would nevertheless be a mistake. I think she mentioned that her spell hadn't completely worn off to explain that its healing effects were dramatically reduced (otherwise we'd expect Serpico to pull the same near insta-heal as the old townsfellow).

The wording was certainly somewhat awkward, though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote
I guess my problem was that I thought her spell on the church was just one of protection to keep the trolls, et al outside. I hadn't realized it was also healing people inside the barrier. That's why I couldn't make the connection.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
I think they only briefly noted the healing by pointing out that it had healed Morgan. If you hadn't remarked on that little bit of the scene the later dialogue would have been quite confusing I imagine.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
Well, he said it was "thanks to that little girl," which I took to mean personalized, glowy hands type healing from either Schierke or her elf (can't remember her name). I've just never seen a barrier spell that also had healing powers before.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
Don't think Morgan said girl, believe he said little one and he was referring to Puck, you see Puck healing him during the trolls' attack on the shrine.

I'm actually not too sure about the barrier myself either. When the group were at Flora's place, it was mentioned that being in the shallow layer of the astral plane would accelerate their healing so maybe the barrier places you partially in the astral world or has other mystical properties that'd help you heal, but I don't believe that's how the barrier works and Puck and Ivarela were there to heal him. So I think what Schierke meant was since the barrier's effect was still active, Serpico would be safe (from any other threats) to spend the night inside the church to fully recover.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
I don't think Puck healed Morgan. At 22:14 in the episode 18 Crunchy broadcast, as Schierke's magic barrier is falling down upon their group, Puck looks surprised and exclaims, "His wounds are healing!" A few seconds later Isidoro stares first at Morgan's healing body and then about the church in wonderment, echoing Puck's surprise: "This is her magic?" Given their reactions, it seems pretty clear that Schierke's barrier healed Morgan (and, once that's acknowledged, it seems obvious the barrier's healing effects are also what Schierke was describing to Serpico).

I guess it looks like Puck is healing him since the magical particles are falling all around and Puck is kneeling on Morgan's back with his hands splayed out as if casting some kind of spell, but if Puck were the one doing the healing it would be awfully strange for him to be surprised by it, and it would be quite a coincidence & an awkward framing choice if Puck just-so-happened to cast his own healing spell as Schierke's barrier spell came down, while Schierke's barrier was the scene's focal point. The most natural explanation seems to be that Puck was examining Morgan's wounds and was surprised that Schierke's barrier was healing them, not that Puck was casting anything himself.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't think Puck healed Morgan. At 22:14 in the Crunchy broadcast, as Schierke's magic barrier is falling down upon their group, Puck looks surprised and exclaims, "His wounds are healing!" It seems pretty clear that Schierke's barrier healed Morgan (and, once that's acknowledged, it seems obvious the barrier's healing effects are also what Schierke was describing to Serpico).

Nah, Puck's hands were on Morgan, glowing his signature colour. Was was happening was Puck expressing surprise over the fact that he was able to heal Morgan's wound because he thought he was too late and he wanted to declare that Morgan was ok. It's clearer in the manga because when Morgan talks about being healed by the little one, there's an image of Puck in his speech bubble.

This adaptation doesn't establish Puck's and the elves' healing powers well but you can see him doing the same thing back for Pepe (one of Luca's girls) back in season 1.

Last edited by Souther on Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
I guess that's possible. I found the frame you're referring to, can't seem to embed it as an image though (side note: the linked chapter seems to go a bit beyond where we are in the anime, so I wouldn't scroll too far down it if you want to avoid spoilers).

The [url=http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_210_(Manga)]Berserk wiki's summary[/url] also seems to support my read:

Quote:
Guts watches as Schierke's barrier exudes a four-hued light around the church. Inside the building proper, the trolls within the barrier spontaneously combust. The light also washes over Morgan, whose wound begins to heal. Puck also notes that he himself feels particularly powerful.

But that's just another reader's interpretation, so no reason it has any more credibility than anything else.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sun May 14, 2017 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20