• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Berserk

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
I've consistently enjoyed Berserk 2017 and am not generally bothered by its poor animation and camerawork, but the the past two episodes were really hard to sit through. I was getting flashbacks to Berserk 2016's very first episode, which was the last time the artwork/direction were bad enough to jar me out of enjoying the source material.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Pretty pleased with the just-released episode. It's not going to blow anyone away like the recent Boku no Hero highlights, but if they could maintain this quality consistently I'd be perfectly happy.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
Anyone how long this show is going to last, I feel the shorter it is the better it is I don't want it to go all the way up to where the Anime currently is. My guess at the moment is that it will go up to whent ehy depart on the boat.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
With the removal of a significant plot point (they may be saving it for a small cameo at the end of this season), and no room for the other parts, it's difficult to say how it'll conclude, but they're reaching ch/ep. 245 of the manga at least. Either way, this is most likely it as far as Berserk adaptations go for a very long time. If there are going to be more adaptations, maybe there'll be a movie similar to the Golden Age movies finishing off this arc, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for Casca, it's a pretty difficult position. If she's brought back, how will she react? What will be her thoughts and feelings? As Skull Knight warned, perhaps Guts's wishes aren't her wishes. But possibly, she'll be able to regain her mind and be able to come to terms with the tragedy of the Eclipse. She's been out of the game for so long.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
My guess at the moment is that it will go up to when they depart on the boat.

Oh no, is that the infamous boat ride even I've heard about?
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

It only lasts 3-4 volumes, the issue is during that period there were several long hiatuses, one lasting over a year.If they were put into anime episodes, they'd fly by.
kaynedenny5454

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Miura is misogynistic because Guts also got raped in the series as well. Also according to Anidb, A lot of female viewers enjoyed it as well as males.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I liked the last scene I the tavern, it is weird how nice the show looks the few rare occasions where it goes full 2D.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

The way you asked that reminded me of a friend of school. And yeah as someone else says it is short, I caught up a few chapters before they got off.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
That one shot of Guts when he was talking to the drunk about staining his comrade's clothes was just stunningly beautiful - or would have been, if not covered over by the credit roll. Rolling Eyes
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
So, this is it, the last episode. We get a better understanding of Sonia through her talks with Schierke to realise she's simply a lonely girl who was an outcast until Griffith rescued her from the Kushan. She feels her powers give her a special relation to Griffith and can't understand why Charlotte holds so much importance. She probably relates to the Apostles as outcasts as well, explaining why she's so willing to be comfortable around them. Unfortunately, she's really misguided about the whole situation. Griffith isn't really a saviour and the Apostles aren't simply misunderstood.

I'm surprised Schierke didn't put two and two together when Sonia was talking about the tale of the White Hawk and her boss, realise she was talking about the person who was responsible for the Apostles burning down the mansion. Otherwise, she'd have no reason to even consider taking up the offer, even for a moment.

Isidro learns to be more considerate, slightly anyway, and his and Mule's little fight was funny, but they cut out Mule's harsh criticism of Isidro hesitating to cut down the pirates. You'd expect a pirate captain to sound gruffer, but that's supposedly the joke, apparently he speaks rather formal Japanese. Schierke had great moments showing off her compassion for people despite finding the outside world difficult.

As for Griffith being outside the story, I think it's rather whoever's pulling the strings to create these events is the one "outside it", and Griffith's the centre of things, causality making sure things go his way, plus his power as a God Hand ensuring nothing on the physical plane can harm him.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, while better than the first cour, it was still majorly lacking. Weird editing/direction, janky CGI, skipped content, some pacing issues and ineffective sound design really brought down the show. Although, if there's any positive, it's that it reminded me just how much I love Berserk, and how many layers there are to it. It was enjoyable week-to-week, but I think I'm largely OK with things ending here as far as this particular adaptation goes.

I'm probably going to go back and re-read the manga, now....
vision33r

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
So, this is it, the last episode. We get a better understanding of Sonia through her talks with Schierke to realise she's simply a lonely girl who was an outcast until Griffith rescued her from the Kushan. She feels her powers give her a special relation to Griffith and can't understand why Charlotte holds so much importance. She probably relates to the Apostles as outcasts as well, explaining why she's so willing to be comfortable around them. Unfortunately, she's really misguided about the whole situation. Griffith isn't really a saviour and the Apostles aren't simply misunderstood.

One day Griffith will come out and show all tell all to the Sonia and the Princess. His true identity won't be revealed until they find out or another eclipse and they will be the next group to be sacrificed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 20 of 20