• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Berserk

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Nice writing, Anne! Will you be doing the streaming reviews for this season? I enjoyed Jacob's reviews a lot but i'm also always in favour of getting a different perspective on a show.

I've watched (and liked) the original Berserk but never got around to reading the manga, so i'm not quite as emotional invested as others here...plus, i'm generally not too bothered by CGI unless it's Hand Shakers-levels of bad (and Griffith is still looking decently hot...Wink), so i'm really looking forward to where this is going.

Yup! I enjoy Berserk, but I took on writing it last season only because no one else on staff could, already having two Danganronpas on my plate. (It conflicted with Anne's schedule at the time.) I'm happy to pass it off to someone more familiar with the manga.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The art in the flashback in episode 14 was pretty good, it looked like they key animated the whole thing, either that or they got better 3D Models.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Agree with the reviewer about the music, I'll add that some of the music choices don't fit with a number of scenes, a problem that's been happening since season 1. As for Griffith's feeling's towards Guts, I'm more cynical about it lol. I fully believe that the process of becoming a God Hand, in Griffith's own words during the Eclipse, no longer felt anything towards the Hawks he sacrificed due to his heart freezing over, turning him coldly evil.

As a human, Griffith was conflicted about his emotions, the sacrifices he's made and his feelings towards his men, Guts especially. Now as a God Hand, he can do what he's always desired to do and fully pursue his goals unhampered. He's made his decision and he's unrepentant about it. Guts can't reach him, not with his sword, not even emotionally with words, and the gulf between them is still incredibly wide despite Griffith being on the same plane.

But rather than Griffith's emotions being his weakness, I think it's the demon child that fused with his vessel. I'd say even the beating of Griffith's heart was the demon child's emotions watching its father. The thing is, should Guts eventually take down Griffith, he'd be taking down his and Casca's child as well. You could definitely argue against what I'm saying though, nothing's set in stone so far.

Last edited by Souther on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
@Souther: He's absolutely unrepentant, although I always like to imagine him finding an ending similar to the one of spoiler[Rosine] one day. I'd find that much more satisfying, but we'll probably have to wait for many, many more years.

@Merida: I'll try to keep my rather significant emotional investment in the source material in check, but it's very likely to inform my perspective. Wink
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

@Merida: I'll try to keep my rather significant emotional investment in the source material in check, but it's very likely to inform my perspective. Wink

Ahaha, no worries. I'll always prefer an emotionally invested reviewer to an apathetic one, even when their emotions don't exaclty match my own.
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
@Souther: He's absolutely unrepentant, although I always like to imagine him finding an ending similar to the one of spoiler[Rosine] one day. I'd find that much more satisfying, but we'll probably have to wait for many, many more years.

I can see that happening yeah, it'll definitely be an emotional moment. And thanks for reminding me about spoiler[Rosine], man, that was great, but sad. Sad
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 3: thought it was pretty good, all things considered. A few things that wouldn't make sense to non-manga readers, like them removing the context for Mule's comment about honour not mattering. Glad that they kept Griffith and his army decimating the Kushan I thought they'd cut it out. Still a very weird decision to incorporate it the way they did though.

Lauenroth wrote:
Is what happens to Mule simply proof of the same allure Griffith always had—amplified by some supernatural mojo from beyond the physical world—that causes even otherwise reasonable people like Mule to be overcome by feelings of destiny? Or did Griffith, by embracing his own fate in the Eclipse, bring something back with him that goes beyond giving people a sense of purpose?

On the bolded: when Mule is overcome by emotion, it's because subconciously, he's been guided to recognise that Griffith is the saviour he (and everyone else) desires. It goes back to season 1 where the Egg of the Perfect World is talking about how it was no coincidence that Luca brought Casca to Albion, that a certain force was guiding her and the events of the Incarnation Ceremony. The Egg also talks about how people desire Griffith and what he's supposed to bring so it's all connected to that. Of course, what the regular folk don't know is that the God Hand and this force have been actively working behind the scenes to create the terrible climate that makes them desire Griffith in the first place, including the Kushan's invasion.

As for Guts and his new companions, him assaulting Casca was the wake-up call. He needs them, not just to keep him in check, but to look after Casca as well. Puck and Isidro never get their due credit Sad , if it wasn't for Puck, Guts wouldn't be alive, and it's a real shame the anime cuts out the parts that develop their relationship and how Puck's played a large part in Guts being able to retain his humanity. And if it wasn't for Isidro, Casca would probably be dead. I wanna talk more about why Isidro's already earned his place in the story, but for now, I'll just say he's an air of goofiness and optimism against a cruel world. That he's survived this long in such a world is admirable too.

I wish the beginning of Berserk would stop getting cut out so viewers would actually know where the souls are going to (it's also relevant to the Brand's curse as well). Also, I thought a male VA was voicing Mule, turns out it was Mitsuki Saiga lol. Forgot how low she can pitch her voice.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh they removed the bit where she said to the demon "Don't worry next time I will bring you a fresh body"
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Oh they removed the bit where she said to the demon "Don't worry next time I will bring you a fresh body"

I knew something was missing!

Quote:
While his new Lancer and Archer

... Huh
Lancer - moon Knight
Archer - err the guy with arrows
Assassin - that arakune like thing
Berserker - Nosferatu Zodd
Saber - the giant in the Naga looking armor
Caster - sonia
Rider - Also Zodd? he does carry Griffith around quite a bit

Interesting, I'm sure it's a coincidence but Griffith's new commanders remind me alot of the classes from fate stay.

Quote:
As for Guts and his new companions, him assaulting Casca was the wake-up call. He needs them, not just to keep him in check, but to look after Casca as well. Puck and Isidro never get their due credit Sad , if it wasn't for Puck, Guts wouldn't be alive, and it's a real shame the anime cuts out the parts that develop their relationship and how Puck's played a large part in Guts being able to retain his humanity. And if it wasn't for Isidro, Casca would probably be dead. I wanna talk more about why Isidro's already earned his place in the story, but for now, I'll just say he's an air of goofiness and optimism against a cruel world. That he's survived this long in such a world is admirable too.

Yeah I love puck and ishidoro, granted they seem alot funnier in the manga where how they're randomly drawn in comical chibi in stark contrast to the usual carnage and grit that was going on just seconds ago. [/spoiler]
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I knew something was missing!

Quote:
While his new Lancer and Archer

... Huh
Lancer - moon Knight
Archer - err the guy with arrows
Assassin - that arakune like thing
Berserker - Nosferatu Zodd
Saber - the giant in the Naga looking armor
Caster - sonia
Rider - Also Zodd? he does carry Griffith around quite a bit

Interesting, I'm sure it's a coincidence but Griffith's new commanders remind me alot of the classes from fate stay.

I think the coincidence is actually with the old Band of the Hawk. Namely, not in personality, but somewhat there is a correlation:

Guts - Zodd
Rakshas - Judeau (knifes)
Irvin (Archer) - Rickert (not exactly a bowman but a long-range type)
Mule Wolflame - Also Rickert because it's a new kid.
Grunbeld (Giant) - Pippin (just, big)
Locus (Moon Knight) - Corkus (kinda, just a swordsman)
I wouldn't like to say Sonia is Casca just because she's a woman, but technically she is also prompted to fight back for her liberation after Griffith's appearence.

It also happens to be that most fill a category in any army: a silent assassin, a bowman, a mace expert, a lancer. And in a fantasy setting, a white mage.

Last edited by Valhern on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Guilty as charged for not using spoiler tags for omitted stuff. Embarassed What the review said about Guts's and Isidro's relationship and the advice Guts is giving him is exactly why I feel Isidro's earned his place in the story. He's naive about what it takes to be a swordsman (like the way Isidro lies about having killed when Guts asks him about it last season) and we know the harsh reality of being a strong swordsman from Guts and other characters. But he's striving and trying to make something of himself anyway, which takes guts.

Something I didn't know until I found someone else explaining it on another forum: the ritual and chants Schierke's doing are based on the real-life Lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram.

From Wikipedia: Formulation of the Pentagrams, in which a banishing earth pentagram (for the Banishing Ritual) or an invoking pentagram (for the Invoking Ritual) is drawn in the air at each of the four cardinal points and an associated name of God is vibrated (YHVH, ADNI, AHIH and AGLA for East, South, West and North respectively). This segment of the ritual is meant to banish or invoke the four elements (Air, Fire, Water and Earth respectively). The four pentagrams are connected by a circle, also drawn in the air.

The words Schierke chants are actually: Yod-He-Vau-He (YHVH), Adonai Tzabaoth (ADNI), Eheieh (AHIH), Agla.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
The more I watch of season 2, the more I think how much more tolerable the CG would be if they could fix the monsters, either with better CG or key-frame them. There was scenes in this where the characters looked perfectly fine, then you go to the village and the trolls looked so out of place, I'm sure they could be key-framed as well, evene if they are more detailed than humans as other shows have done it.
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/32d13fc532068777e7b54893a3fd9aa21403632033_full.jpg
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana: For me, it's the reverse. The trolls aren't great looking, but they're alright. The people are ugly, especially Guts. Puck's the only character who looks alright. Though the part where everyone gets their elemental weapons looked legitimately good.

Have to agree with the review that the pacing was rushed, it's a been a problem throughout the show. You can hear the VAs having to rush their lines.

About whether or not people could stop believing in things and make them go away, it was actually answered when Schierke's explaining things at the table, but it was cut. But even without it, it's clear that creatures like Puck aren't erased, people just can't see them, especially if they're heavily into the Holy See's beliefs, like Farnese used to be.

As for whether it'd help lessen the God Hand's grip on them....no, it probably wouldn't. What would help do that is if people simply had knowledge of the truths behind the world, and the one thing that could help them do that (magic) is seen as heretical (the Holy See) and has been heavily distorted (the heretics in Albion, the thieves talking about grisly rituals in the first episode, etc.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
episode 17 contained some blink-and-you'll-miss-it comedy gold: Serpico playing chess against one of Flora's golems and being distracted by the girls in different stages of undress, Puck enjoying a drink in his bathtub and raising a banner on top of Isidoro's head as they head into battle.

I did miss the chess game, i.e., I noticed Serpico noticing the girls, but I didn't spot the golem across from him. I also thought the outcome of the battle of the elves over the foodball was humorous.

Speaking of Puck, why is he almost always in chibi form now? Why just him and not Ivalera? Isidro has been spending more time chibified too, but not to the extent that Puck has.

Mostly it was nice just to have an episode where not only did it feel like the plot was advancing a tiny bit, but also with no random slaughter just for the sake of it. Until the end, anyway.

It's always struck me as odd that demons and hellbeasts and their ilk share the same breast fetish as humans. They always go straight for the boobs, even when they're all about chowing down on human flesh rather than defiling it.
vision33r

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't give a damn about all these comments about the series so far. Give me the best art later when Guts is in full Eva mode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 20