• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Girls In Anime Say, "Now I Can't Get Married?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
In a sign of pre-climate-crisis glacial-pace progress towards gender equality, there have been some male characters saying the line as well, though it's far more obviously a joke when they do. But at least the writers are attempting to put a twist on things.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which gets funny when you look at all the underage pregnancies in some of those same states.
Don't forget the relatively higher rates of STIs, as well. And of course, these are the states that push "as religious as we can get away with in public schools" abstinence-only sex education the hardest, too.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You and I live in the United States, a country whose culture, at least in the present day, does not place much importance in female purity or innocence.

paiprince wrote:

Ever since the Sexual Revolution, modern American culture doesn't value virginity.

Different parts of the US have vastly different cultural values (hence me, perhaps, being the ignorant one). I live in Kansas. I have many friends who remained virgins until marriage (even some men!), or plan(ned) to. My parents didn't give a crap, but my grandparents sure as hell lectured me regularly on how I should save myself for my wedding night. And where I live we're actually fortunate enough to have real, balanced sexual education. There are many places in the US that still refuse to teach anything but abstinence, if they ever talk about sex at all. Not to mention purity rings and purity balls... which you can read about if you ever feel like losing your lunch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Don't forget the relatively higher rates of STIs, as well.

Yikes didn't know it was a problem with underage individuals just thought it was a problem mostly relegated to older people.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Different parts of the US have vastly different cultural values (hence me, perhaps, being the ignorant one). I live in Kansas. I have many friends who remained virgins until marriage (even some men!), or plan(ned) to. My parents didn't give a crap, but my grandparents sure as hell lectured me regularly on how I should save myself for my wedding night. And where I live we're actually fortunate enough to have real, balanced sexual education. There are many places in the US that still refuse to teach anything but abstinence, if they ever talk about sex at all. Not to mention purity rings and purity balls... which you can read about if you ever feel like losing your lunch.

You could say the same for Japan which collectively bunching them as a country of prudes to be erroneous. Trendy Tokyo and Osaka have more of a relaxed attitude to sex compared to the sticks.

My point was juxtaposing US culture itself through its media which glorifies sexual virility and experience as opposed to Japan's purity worship.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
If it's dated though, it won't be funny anymore, and what's the point of a joke if it isn't funny?

For parody purposes. Why do you think comedies like Family Guy which relies on references and schticks to be made fun of are still enjoyed by the millions?

Referencing outdated cultural aspects? I can understand pop cultural references from past decades, particularly those of enduring relevancy in the modern public consciousness, but behavior that few people practice nowadays being used as a joke is something I'm more used to seeing as a way of indicating a character is out of touch with modern society (like Mr. Burns in The Simpsons) or used as social commentary paralleling the past with the present (like how Pleasantville linked 50's TV sitcoms and their prejudices with the prejudices of modern United States).

But I guess since that form of marriage as mentioned in the article still exists in Japan today among ultra-conservative households, that must mean your average Japanese resident must be aware of its existence and how it works.

Paiprince wrote:
Sounds like your school was situated in a poor neighborhood. High school pregnancies are usually linked with poverty and strife where most of the inhabitants make poor life choices and have very little to aspire to. This type of behavior seems tolerated, even encouraged, in Hispanic and African American communities. Similar to 3rd world societies in Africa and Asia.

Yeah, most of the schools I went to had pretty impoverished student populations. This high school is actually pretty close to some wealthy neighborhoods, but most of the wealthy parents chose to put their kids in private schools.

There may also be some old traditional expectations at work here of women having the role of producing children
Mosaic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember arguing with a girl on tumblr because she thought this was a feminist statement.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You and I live in the United States, a country whose culture, at least in the present day, does not place much importance in female purity or innocence.

paiprince wrote:

Ever since the Sexual Revolution, modern American culture doesn't value virginity.

I don't think this is true for America on the whole, and I'd even argue that it's not true in America on average. Girls are still shamed (or worse, threatened with violence) for being perceived as promiscuous. You don't have to look very far on social media to see this.
rizuchan wrote:
Different parts of the US have vastly different cultural values (hence me, perhaps, being the ignorant one).

Very true. And in many parts of the world (including parts of America), matchmaking and even arranged marriages are still in vogue. Such as the Orthodox Jewish shidduch system, which is basically exactly like omiai (Matchmaker, matchmaker, still rings true...) China has literal marriage markets, and Singapore has a government agency devoted to facilitating dates and dating activities via private dating companies ( it used to set up singles itself, through a database, but now it accredits private dating agencies and matchmaking services. Imagine a government agency that monitors sites like EHarmony and OKCupid) and educates the public on singles' issues. Actually, Singapore has the right idea. Their government matchmaking service has led to approximately 33,000 marriages since it was first established in the 1980s. Japan should try a Dating Bureaucracy, too! Very Happy
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

I always saw it as a responsibility thing. Rushing into sex in high school and then being stuck with the kid before you graduate isn't really something I find desirable in a partner, much like smoking, drinking, or drugs. It shows a lack of responsibility and poor decision-making. Especially when the couple always ends up breaking up post high school. Maybe I'm old fashion in valuing that in the modern setting, but I had a high school sweetheart and we never rushed into something that ruined our entire lives. I always saw it no different than not wanting to date a smoker or something. Nothing wrong with people having different standards.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't think this is true for America on the whole, and I'd even argue that it's not true in America on average. Girls are still shamed (or worse, threatened with violence) for being perceived as promiscuous. You don't have to look very far on social media to see this.

I know. Social opinions vary widely from my own personal experiences. But the guy who likes a woman who's already socially active IS a pretty common sight around here too.

Stuart Smith wrote:
I always saw it as a responsibility thing. Rushing into sex in high school and then being stuck with the kid before you graduate isn't really something I find desirable in a partner, much like smoking, drinking, or drugs. It shows a lack of responsibility and poor decision-making. Especially when the couple always ends up breaking up post high school. Maybe I'm old fashion in valuing that in the modern setting, but I had a high school sweetheart and we never rushed into something that ruined our entire lives. I always saw it no different than not wanting to date a smoker or something. Nothing wrong with people having different standards.

-Stuart Smith

One man's trash is another man's treasure though. You'd consider it a sign of lack of responsibility (and so would I), but a couple that produces a child before they even graduate from high school aren't likely a couple who take high school graduation that seriously. They may come from (ironically) highly traditional households where the girl is pressured by her parents to have children, or they may come from a culture where parents have a higher social status than solitary adults.

My parents themselves came from a culture that encourages parents to have lots of children, the idea being that when the parents grow old, the children can collectively financially support them more effectively than if they only have one child or just a few. I don't have a lot of siblings though, as they both figured there are other ways for the elderly to live independently.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah that saying was funny the first couple of times I've heard it but now that it's become so common it's completely lost it's meaning. Rolling Eyes
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
The joke is pretty much always lame IMHO, but it's been used so often that you pretty much come to expect it in certain situations.

FenixFiesta wrote:
I usually get more of a reaction with the other side of the joke "you will take responsibility for this, won't you?" as it is comparatively less self deprecating and shows the girl has some wit about her character.

That joke is overused as well. I don't know which one is worse though. That being said, either of them is likely to be better than stuff like the girl slapping or kicking the guy just because he accidentally sees something that she didn't want him to see or because she was embarassed and not because he did anything wrong at all. If real women attacked men as easily and often in real life as they tend to do in anime, I don't know why anyone would want to have anything to do with them. Much as I enjoy a lot of the anime involving male-female relationships, there are a lot of really stupid tropes that go with them that I'd love to see die off. Far too often though, they just go for the cheap laughs rather than doing anything genuinely good or funny.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
Then this means the harrem female cannot marry the guy. No wonder they might seem like they are friend zoned. Thanks for crushing my hopes, Justin.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I think that stems, not from a purity standpoint, but from the old notion that only one's husband should be allowed to see them naked. Having someone who is not their husband see them naked would be seen as disgraceful among other things.

I assume there's also the same kind of exaggerated innocence that leads to girls thinking that they will get pregnant because they've been kissed etc.

nobahn wrote:
Justin Sevakis, in the column, wrote:
Miai still happen in Japan, though they're increasingly rare and often the exclusive domain of very traditional families.

Just out of curiosity, exactly what are the characteristics of these Very Traditional Families? (e.g., I would imagine that that such families come exclusively from rural areas. Am I mistaken? Confused)

Within anime at least, it is usually the preserve of large family-owned conglomerates (think the Sakuraba in Ai Yori Aoshi, a show which also happens to invoke the "now I can't get married" trope at least twice, for the same character).
In real life, Adult Adoption definitely still happens and it is not dissimilar in the way it is used within large companies. I think the example used on QI was Suzuki, the current head of that company being the fourth generation to be adopted into the role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vision33r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
Only recent anime viewers don't understand it. It's an old wives tale to younger women.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Nyren wrote:
I think that stems, not from a purity standpoint, but from the old notion that only one's husband should be allowed to see them naked. Having someone who is not their husband see them naked would be seen as disgraceful among other things.

I assume there's also the same kind of exaggerated innocence that leads to girls thinking that they will get pregnant because they've been kissed etc.

Okay, that one's really weird. A few months ago, I saw this screencap floating around the internet: [img= i.imgur.com/6Nzed3B.png][/img] Apparently it's from Chivalry of a Failed Knight and it takes place in episode 9, the same episode she asks the protagonist to have sex with her? It doesn't make any sense!

Shiroi Hane wrote:

nobahn wrote:
Justin Sevakis, in the column, wrote:
Miai still happen in Japan, though they're increasingly rare and often the exclusive domain of very traditional families.

Just out of curiosity, exactly what are the characteristics of these Very Traditional Families? (e.g., I would imagine that that such families come exclusively from rural areas. Am I mistaken? Confused)

Within anime at least, it is usually the preserve of large family-owned conglomerates (think the Sakuraba in Ai Yori Aoshi, a show which also happens to invoke the "now I can't get married" trope at least twice, for the same character).
In real life, Adult Adoption definitely still happens and it is not dissimilar in the way it is used within large companies. I think the example used on QI was Suzuki, the current head of that company being the fourth generation to be adopted into the role.

That's interesting. I assumed traditional families Justin was referring to were ancient and maybe even royal. Japan still has an emperor, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5