• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Ep 11--about the war with Rolance: does anyone in this world know the concept of "diplomacy"? Why do they keep assuming that there are only 2 scenarios in a kill-or-be-killed kind of way? And why is Rolance so poised to attack, anyway? As far as I recall they haven't given a good reason for Rolance's aggression.

As far as I can tell, Rolance isn't the aggressor. Bartlow's "kill them before they kill us" seems more pretext than anything. Now I don't know if his hawkishness is out of hatred of Rolance, love of war, or greed (they're a kingdom so spreading democracy is out), but it sure as heck isn't the imminent threat of invasion by Rolance. Now in the equivalent era of history in our world, basically a country's neighbors are always at least potential enemies so planning how you respond to your neighbor invading even if there is no indication that they might be considering it, such as increasing the size of their army or massing troops on the border (i.e. totally what Bartlow is doing), is not just paranoia. While they may have some diplomatic channels (never saw any ambassadors but they might have one), the communication between countries at this point in history is rather limited. And as a matter of international law and norms, it was also totally cool to just up and invade your neighbor and do pretty much whatever, so invasion is a significant possibility. Plus wars of this era were generally about things that can't be diplomatically figured out, like you got some nice land/resources, I think I'll take them.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
[quote="Agent355"]
Generations wrote:

I was bothered by Sorey's matter-of-fact assertion that "grief leads to hatred." It's more like grief + unchecked anger can lead to hatred. No feeling in and of itself is destructive on its own. Human beings and human emotions are complicated. Even if they need to simplify things to translate it to a video game mode, it wouldn't be that complicated to add anger to the mix.

I think that was pretty obvious from the context, though? Sorey said that people who's loved ones get killed fall into despair which lleads to negative feelings and feeds the malevolence. Neither did he say that this has to happen in every single case, nor that grief in general leads to hatred...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is said in the anime (I might've missed it) but (and this is not a spoiler): While it is true that a seraphim who is attached to the Shepherd won't become a hellion, that is ONLY true for so long as the Shepherd himself remains pure. If the Shepherd falls to malevolence, the Seraphim attached to him are bound to become hellions.

As to the earlier question about whether Seraphim themselves have any choice about turning into hellions, as far as I can tell, if the malevolence is strong enough, they *will* turn into hellions. However, if it is less then completely overwhelming, they seem to have a certain amount of ability to refrain from it, but that might just be me reading into it.

Humans seem to be less susceptible to becoming hellions simply because there is a lot of malevolence around them. I am inclined to believe that much depends on the internal disposition of individual humans. Humans seem more able not to let what they do overwhelm who they are, which is why Rose, although an assassin, has no malevolence. Seraphim are unable to separate the two, probably because they are spiritual beings.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The seraphim have a complexly interesting ecosystem because they are shaped by their environment and proximity to humans. For example, seraphim don't need to eat to live. However, being around humans, they can 'feel' that hunger that humans do. Being around humans make them susceptible to human feelings, and they may have to eat to avoid feeling 'hunger' themselves or else risk becoming hellions.

That is why the Lords of the Land (like the one shown in the episode) become hellions. Lords of the Land bless a town or city with their power inside a domain, but in turn become more vulnerable being around them. Not only do they risk becoming a hellion indirectly by the land being seeped with malevolence despite being inside their protection, they become vulnerable to human feelings or when people stop believing in their blessing. And without faith, their domain means nothing. And becoming a hellion is doubly worse for seraphim because they'll eventually turn into dragons, which is not only irreversible but hard as hell to put down.
This prompts some (optional) Lords of the Land to even abandon their domains to live in seclusion in the game, not only because humans stopped believing in them but because they became attached to humans who have fallen into malevolence.

As for humans that turn into hellions, they don't all necessarily start as murderous demons. Chances are, people-turned-hellion live in normal everyday society though others see them as regular people. Unscrupulous merchants look like thieving goblins, pickpocketing kids look like imps, but all only to the eyes of one who can see the malevolence's hellion form. They'll likely turn into murderous hellions eventually, but they sometimes start and act out as they would normally.
Now if a normal person can SEE the hellion form that no one else can, that's a completely different can of worms.

I hope that answers some of the questions.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Adapting a game is always going to be difficult, but those Beseria episodes were inevitably going to hurt the series overall. They should've been released as OVAs when the blu-rays hit shelves. As is, they've just forced this show to feel more rushed.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think I've shifted my opinion of the Berseria episodes. I still think they were well done, but given how little the series has progressed since then and that there hasn't been any clever interleaving of Berseria and Zestiria episodes since the initial two, there doesn't seem to have been any creative point to them. They were just a jarring, rather senseless advertisement.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, the next episode is the last for the season, right? And... well, some serious stuff is probably going to happen. It's hard to say, though, as the anime has veered from the game enough that I'm no longer sure how things are going to go (at least, I expect the details to be different now).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Adapting a game is always going to be difficult, but those Beseria episodes were inevitably going to hurt the series overall. They should've been released as OVAs when the blu-rays hit shelves. As is, they've just forced this show to feel more rushed.

i didn't think it hurt the series that badly. and compared to the blazeblue anime series, which was good but mediocre at best, especially for those that never played the game before, this series is good enough and so far its entertaining at best makes me want to check out the game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I also got confused when seeing the new season announcement instead of the next episode preview at the end but that faded once the preview came after that

Quote:
When higher-ups announce that politicians can gloss over any immoral moves on the army's part or when Sorey and Alisha see soldiers in action, they lose some of their innocence and belief in humanity

That was my favourite part of the episode (and maybe the series along with the gorgeous animation) as Sorey slowly began to realize that overtime although with Alisha I kind of felt like she pretty much knew that was going to happen judging by her previous encounters with the Duke and that she looked slightly surprised but not so much
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
One thing I really like about this show is that not only do the women kick ass, but the men fully expect them to. Not one male thinks he needs to stop them from acting, or protect them from themselves or anyone else. (Unlike certain other popular shows this season...)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
One thing I really like about this show is that not only do the women kick ass, but the men fully expect them to. Not one male thinks he needs to stop them from acting, or protect them from themselves or anyone else. (Unlike certain other popular shows this season...)

But the bad guys still look down at them, calling the two women in question, Alisha, the princess of the country and a knight, and Rose, leader of a merchant/assassin guild, girls (I do not know their age so I can't explore that angle). Sure the protagonists are respectably trusting in their ability to defend themselves, but the men of the show fully expecting them to kick ass? Aside from the protagonists, that doesn't appear to be the case. I don't hold it against the show and that attitude towards women is definitely par for the course of that time period. But I will repeat that it is commendable that some of the characters don't think that way, especially since they are the protags.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I have to say this anime has told the game's story far better than the game did. The game was just full of superfluous details that in all honesty could have been ignored for better paced storytelling. Only one episode to go for this portion of the story and we'll get to meet spoiler[Dark Leomon aka The Lord of Calamity (aka Kittybeard as Edna called him in the game)].
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
There's a lot of plot that deviated in this episode from the game source material, but many of these are changes that make sense. Neither better nor worse in my opinion, I liked what the game and the anime portrayed of this part, so let's take a look. The spoilers below or for what happened DURING these equivalent parts in the game, so they're not huge spoilers for anything happening in the anime's future.

Alisha and Rose. Perhaps the biggest change of this part is their importance. Since Alisha was meant to be a side character and not really a main one in the game, she had a smaller part in the game.spoiler[At this part in the game Lailah had already convinced Sorey that being in the war at all was a bad idea, let alone taking sides. Not only would Sorey be exposed to an endless level of malevolence and basically guarantee becoming corrupted, any side Sorey takes is guaranteed victory since the Shepherd's power -- aided by invisible seraphim -- is far above that of any army. It would cause people not only to fear the power of the Shepherd, but also rely on the Shepherd too much.

However, Alisha is jailed and tried for treason upon her return to Ladylake. The general says she would be executed for her crimes unless Sorey agrees to participate in the war in her place.]

Army ambush and the state of Marlind. spoiler[In the game, the war had already begun at an unspecific time before Sorey arrived. No mention of who attacked who first is mentioned, but Marlind is abandoned by the townsfolk due to its close proximity to Glaiven Basin.]

Sorey's purification and the war. Perhaps the biggest new addition to Sorey's troubles is this new 'absorbing the memories' of those he purified of malevolence which is anime-exclusive. As I stated before, it's a good way to cut out the investigation parts of the game and give another problem for Sorey. However, the game worked without it, so again it's something that works as an anime-exlusive plot point. spoiler[In the game, Sorey fights against the armies of Rolance by himself as he orders the rest of the Hyland army (and the mercenaries they hired) to retreat. He defeats them easily (none of them were corrupted yet) and it easily becomes a rout. Though Sorey lets them retreat, the general orders his men to finish off all surrendered and retreating troops. The soldiers only become malevolent upon the arrival of the Lord of Calamity.]

Here are two not necessarily important but good plot points I forgot to mention the anime did not go over as well:

Alisha's enemies.
In the anime, only Bartlow is confirmed to be against Alisha's actions.spoiler[In the game, you meet all of Ladylake's various high-rankers, all of whom are against Alisha and Sorey. This includes Military Chancellor Mathia who leads the royal army, administrator of law Professor Simon, and Archbishop Nathael, the pope-equivalent in Hyland. It was they as a collective who hired to get Alisha assassinated.

They don't believe in the existence of the Shepherd (not having one for a thousand years) and believe that Alisha and the 'Shepherd' are using each other for a coup against the kingdom. They believe a scandal would break out if the royal family had produced what they believed to be a false Shepherd who only attempted to curry favour with the people. That didn't matter to them though, as since he had already gained the belief of the populace, they wanted control over him and use him as a way to boost morale, especially since they were in the middle of a war with Rolance.]

Ladylake's Lord of the Land. In the anime, the only Lord of the Land shown was Marlind's. In the game, Ladylake's seraphim was completely different, and probably one of my favourite subplots. spoiler[Ladylake's Lord of the Land was actually the sea serpent that Sorey fought that destroyed the bridge to Marlind. Upon purifying him, Sorey learns that the water seraphim Uno used to be Ladylake's Lord of the Land, but that he became a hellion when people stopped praying and believing in him. He wants to become Ladylake's guardian again, but finds that the waters in it have become impure and that Lords of the Land require a pure vessel (kind of like finding a Shepherd, but with objects) and someone to worship them. This leads them to try to find a source of pure water that would serve as a vessel, and a priest who wasn't corrupt.

They find one priest who was in the middle of a conversation with a woman. The woman gives the priest money as thanks for having her son healed. The priest tells her that he didn't need payment and that if she wants to make a donation put it directly to the church, but the woman says it had to be 'directly' to him (like a payment) because she didn't want any rumors about her and her son that they did not respect the church's wishes. While the priest did not want to accept the payment, he did not want the woman to suffer from being talked about and regretfully takes the money. He discusses about using it to get a drink, until the main characters find him. With convincing from Alisha and Sorey, the priest agrees to take care of the vessel.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Bit of explanation and clarification from the game:

Quote:
For one thing, she can clearly hear (although not see) Seraphim, and it looks as if the wind fellow has been following her around for a while now.

This is a bit of a departure from the game, but she can't hear any Seraphim, just him.

Quote:
Her ability to hear Seraphim is an interesting bit of information to file away – did the wind guy give her that power, or is it innate? Does it indicate that she has Shepherd potential?

See above for clarification, but also, during the section after this, spoiler[we learn that Dezel had been possessing her for years, to raise her compatibility for Armatization]. Also, in the post-story Alisha DLC spoiler[Alisha has taken over the mantle of Shepherd].

Quote:
The portrayal of the Shepherd as a Christ-like figure returns in this episode, when he proves that he can not only combat evil (more a King Arthur reference) but also heal the mortally wounded. Presumably his little book contained a spell to heal Alisha,

At least as far as the game goes, Sorey (nor Rose, nor Alisha) has no healing abilities. Those are reserved solely for the Seraphim. Of which Lailah, Mikleo, and Edna all have.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Also, in the post-story Alisha DLC spoiler[Alisha has taken over the mantle of Shepherd].

I think you mean spoiler[Rose, because Alisha becomes her Squire.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 19