• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: D.Gray-man Hallow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
You could either watch the old TV series or read the first 157 chapters of the manga before you start with Hallow. This current series is a direct continuation, you would probably get very little out of it if you started here.

Actually, I'd say if you're going to go the route of reading the manga, you should read the first 164 chapters. Hallow picks up at chapter 165, skipping over a mini-arc. The arc it skips isn't really important or anything, but it is a whole lot of fun. So if you're already reading the manga, you might as well, since it's only another 7 chapters.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:
You could either watch the old TV series or read the first 157 chapters of the manga before you start with Hallow. This current series is a direct continuation, you would probably get very little out of it if you started here.

Actually, I'd say if you're going to go the route of reading the manga, you should read the first 164 chapters. Hallow picks up at chapter 165, skipping over a mini-arc. The arc it skips isn't really important or anything, but it is a whole lot of fun. So if you're already reading the manga, you might as well, since it's only another 7 chapters.

any reason why the manga is better than the 1st anime season?
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
The first anime series had a little bit of filler, but it's not too bad compared to other shonen. On the other hand, action scenes are easier to follow in the anime, and whoever was in charge of casting did a fantastic job.
You could go either way, whatever medium you prefer.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The more I read these reviews, the more I speculate the meaning of the series' title
*There is a gray morality within the Black Order members specially within the ones that made the 2nd and 3rd Exorcist. Although the Noah seem unredeemable, Tyki had human friends while the 14th Noah killed most of them years ago for unknown reasons.
*Now, for the D, (let's avoid the obvious joke Wink ) I think it means Dark. While the series has its comedy moments, almost all story arcs had sad reppercusions. Even Allen who started acting behaving like a messiah to all of his friends to his always upbeat personality, he is starting to break due to the appearance of the 14th Noah.

That's what I gather, considering even Hoshino said the series' main theme is "tragedy" in an interview.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As romantic as the idea of love stronger than death might be, I find myself pitying Kanda more than admiring his loyalty. His promise to someone who might or might not be alive, who he might never see again, binds him in a way that isn't so much romantic as it is cruel.

Agreed. This is defintely one of those concepts which is far more romantic in theory than in practice...

Damn, this arc is quite literally brutal in every respect. My heart goes out to these kids and wishes for them to still be able find happiness or peace against all odds...but yeah, i guess this is supposed to be a tragedy first and foremost. Sad
jomy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
fuff wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:
I'm pretty confident it's Tyki. While they both wear their hair in a ponytail now, Tyki's hair has a blue-ish color. Tyki's outfit is also different (sleeveless on one side), and the arm cutting through Tokusa is naked. After that, Tyki turns around to address Allen. Later on, it's Sheril who crushes Tokusa through the wall - very different voice, very different smile.

no if u look at the bangs, and the manga...and yesterdays ep..u will see it was sheril and not tykki

Knoepfchen is the one who is right in this case, fuff. Sheryl's ability is to manipulate anything he wishes with invisible strings, whereas Tyki's ability is to choose what he does and doesn't touch, allowing him to cut through anything cleanly. Tokusa's arms were cut off while the rest of his body remained intact. You can also clearly tell from the back that it is Tyki with his long (blueish-tinted) ponytail rather than Sheryl with his (black) half-ponytail. Also, as pointed out by Knoepfchen, you can clearly see that it's Tyki's outfit of having only one sleeve as he continues walking behind Tokusa; Sheryl's outfit has two long sleeves. Another thing: Sheryl has no bangs.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Man, I was surprised the studio had to censor certain violent scenes with black and white lines (such Kanda losing a hand). Guess they'll be uncensored for the DVD and blu-ray volumes.
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We need to go back to the very first mission Allen and Kanda were sent on together to fully appreciate the significance of Mater as the setting for Alma's death.

Isn't the city Matera?
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to pop in and say that I've really been enjoying the thought and detail put into these D.Gray-man Hallow reviews the past couple of weeks, and this one especially really seemed to hit the mark for me. This has long been the arc I've wanted to see animated, and reading new analysis about the characters and events years after first experiencing them in the manga has been a treat. So thanks, from someone who's been hanging on to DGM for over a decade now.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm satisfied with the score, the review was really good and touching. Please keep up with this Anne
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Even though I'm satisfied with the score, the review was really good and touching. Please keep up with this Anne

Seconded. Smile

The scenes with Kanda and Alma were really heartbreaking, their respective seiyuu did a pretty fine job.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Quote:
We need to go back to the very first mission Allen and Kanda were sent on together to fully appreciate the significance of Mater as the setting for Alma's death.

Isn't the city Matera?

There are several different romanizations flying around for people and place names between the manga and both anime series. Sadly, they have not been consistent. I've tried to stick to the names used in Hallow.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Nodz wrote:
Quote:

Isn't the city Matera?

There are several different romanizations flying around for people and place names between the manga and both anime series. Sadly, they have not been consistent. I've tried to stick to the names used in Hallow.

Yes but Matera is a real city, like London, Paris or Barcelona.
In English, French, Spanish or Italian, the city is called Matera, and not Mater (even the japonese wikipedia page calls it Matera: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マテーラ).

Even if Funimation misspelled it, it's not a reason to repeat the mistake, unless the reviewer doesn't know the city of Matera.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
The more I read these reviews, the more I speculate the meaning of the series' title
*There is a gray morality within the Black Order members specially within the ones that made the 2nd and 3rd Exorcist. Although the Noah seem unredeemable, Tyki had human friends while the 14th Noah killed most of them years ago for unknown reasons.
*Now, for the D, (let's avoid the obvious joke Wink ) I think it means Dark. While the series has its comedy moments, almost all story arcs had sad reppercusions. Even Allen who started acting behaving like a messiah to all of his friends to his always upbeat personality, he is starting to break due to the appearance of the 14th Noah.

That's what I gather, considering even Hoshino said the series' main theme is "tragedy" in an interview.

I think some point this past summer it was confirmed by Hoshino the 'D' stood for 'Dear'. So, 'Dear Gray-man'. Though, your comments still are a good speculation at what that still means.

Considering the recent events in the manga, spoiler[ Allen choosing not to be taken over by Neah/Nea, the truth about the Earl's identity (kinda), and Link deciding to work with the 14th. ] I think the 'Gray' in the title refers to the sort of 'third side' of the war that is neither the Noah or the Order (black and white), while also refering to Allen's status (as possessing both a Noah's memories and Innocence).

The 'Dear' could mean a way for calling out towards Allen's identity (which is so jumbled at this moment even the merchandise for Hallow has gotten to the point of just saying 'Who am I' instead of Allen Walker Confused )

I could speculate about D. Gray-man for hours; it was practically a hobby during the hiatus. It still is sadly Laughing
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It finally happened. After 122 episodes, Kanda eventually found it in him and a reason to call Allen by his name, and with a “thank you” cherry on top.

The first time I read this arc, I was a sobbing mess. I've read it two more times since then and the sobbing had been less. With this episode I didn't feel too emotional. Until I started reading this review and then all those feels came back to hit me square in the face. It gave the end of this arc a new light that I wasn't getting after being desensitized to the repeated readings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5