• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: D.Gray-man Hallow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark34

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Other than the new voice actors and overall pacing both of which I am not crazy towards at first, I am liking it. However, at the very least I am hoping that it'll end on a good note.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
question for anyone whose been keeping up with the manga, I stopped reading the manga years ago at around the time the alma karma arc was wrapping up because of the long breaks between chapters. It doesn't seem the manga has progressed a huge amount since then, has there been an explanation for the breaks? Is it a hunter X hunter/berserk type hiatus or something else?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
^AFAIK, Hoshino has wrist problems, so it's hard for her to draw, hence why the series is now in a quarterly publication. If not that, some other health-related issue
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the next preview and title, I hope the ending has no images considering it would be spoiler[Allen-kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!!!! *changing to a sad Lenalee just looking rocks.] Laughing
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
And I was correct Shocked

Still, wasn't it that the Thirds went insane after Alma revived and contaminated them with his hatred? That seems the most legit explanation to why they betrayed the Order. However, I wonder if Tokusa feels different considering Allen convinced to try to save him from Alma's hatred.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
^I was referring to Zu suspecting Lvellie to have had another objective than simply providing reinforcements when he pursued the Third Exorcist project.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, this episode really showed it's pacing issues.

But, I finally got see one of my favorite parts finally animated. Super happy bout that.
Just curious to where the series will leave off now, since they actually are adapting that flashback chapter spoiler[ and bringing Kanda back.]

spoiler[Now what about Link...]
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
^I was referring to Zu suspecting Lvellie to have had another objective than simply providing reinforcements when he pursued the Third Exorcist project.

That's a manga spoiler spoiler[he needs Link to become the 14th's ally, as Cross Marian said the 14th's side will win the holy war. However, for Link's survival, he begs Zu to use his arts to revive him at the cost of lowering his lifespan.]
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
...they're covering spoiler[the backstory AND Kanda's return] in one episode? Yikes! I mean, that means it'll end about where I thought it would... but that was assuming episode 12 wouldn't be dragged out so much. Next episode will be a ride, that's for sure!

Anyway, agreed that the ending scene in this episode was quite well handled. It was worth the wait. Despite my issues with it, I'll be sad when this series ends.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Agh, that last episode was killer for the feels (Little Allen!). I'm in the middle about the ending, as I do and don't like it. I didn't like how it felt super reminiscent of the most recent manga hiatus that started right as things were picking up spoiler[ Chapter 218 with the Earl finding Allen]. (Course, now the manga's in SQ Crown) Also, spoiler[Hallow had the guts to leave Link dead?!]

I did like that the ending wasn't too depressing and instead kinda uplifting. (I mean, it was still sad since we probably won't see anymore DGM animation for a while), but it didn't take Allen's situation and completely drill it into the ground. There was this 'hope' to it. And, with Kanda coming back with his Crystal-type innocence, setting off to find Allen, it again gave a better feeling overall towards the episode, IMO.

I'll miss watching this weekly. I cried when it was announced, and have been following the show with every update. I'll continue watching the broadcast dub, but I'll still miss Hallow.

(And can we just give a round of applause for Ayumu Murase, because he really kicked some ass the last few episodes.)

Sayonara, DGM. See you next chapter.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Unless Hoshino returns to the Jump Square, there won't be a new anime in about 10 years Crying or Very sad Still, I liked the final scene considering spoiler[what's been happening to Allen in the latest manga arc]
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
I very much appreciated the weekly reviews for this show because i realized that i've forgotten so much...i was a pretty big fan of this series once, but time, manga hiatuses and long waits inbetween chapters made me feel a bit estranged. This season didn't fully manage to awaken my passion again, but it was nice to see those familiar characters in motion again and some parts, especially Kanda/Alma were really moving.

And of course, reading your reviews was always a pleasure, Anne! I hope you're gonna keep it up. Smile
Gwydion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Despite it faults, I'm gonna miss this series and reading the weekly reviews. Always well thought out, articulate, and poignant. Here's hoping it won't be another 10 years before we get another season (though I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case).

Also, ditto Beansprout Midget - Ayumu Murase was absolutely fantastic! I simply adored him as Allen! He really did an excellent job. Some voices I wasn't quite as fond of, but overall if I had to pick, I think I prefer the new cast (though Kenichi Suzumura's Lavi tempts me to say otherwise lol).
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I loved Hallow. However I was a little disappointed in the amount of filler in the last 3 or so episodes. they could have taken their time in the timothy arc by making it an episode longer but they rushed through it and made the filler later.

also sad to know that cliffhanger ending, since there isn't a whole lot after that scene in the manga the story will need another couple years to build up enough content for another series. the Search for AW arc is probably reaching its conclusion in the coming chapter so the new arc can start soon hopefully.

I'm kinda hoping DGrayman will get a movie sometime. cause its one of the few long running shows like this that doesn't have a film. it'd be easy to make one.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
And I was correct Shocked

Still, wasn't it that the Thirds went insane after Alma revived and contaminated them with his hatred? That seems the most legit explanation to why they betrayed the Order. However, I wonder if Tokusa feels different considering Allen convinced to try to save him from Alma's hatred.

I'm pretty sure the story is amping up to some sort of reveal that Innocence/Apocrypha is the real evil and the Noah are good guys. The problem with that idea is that the Earl and Noah kill way too many innocent people for that to be a good twist. Either way, it's obvious there are details we don't know, mainly why Noah, a deeply religious man, would really turn on God so much and why the Noah would be immortal and have powers in the first place. If they are going to use real bible terms, there better be more answers than questions to the ideas being applied in the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5