• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club (TV)
Season 2 - Eternal Summer (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 3 - -Dive to the Future- (TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: comedy, drama, tournament
Themes: bishounen, fanservice, Friendship, school life, sports, swimming

Plot Summary: The story revolves around Haruka Nanase, a boy who has always loved to be immersed in water, and to swim in it. Before graduating from elementary school, he participated in a swimming tournament along with his fellow swimming club members, Makoto Tachibana, Nagisa Hazuki, and Rin Matsuoka. After achieving victory, each of the boys went their separate ways.

Time passed, and in the middle of their uneventful high school lives Rin appears and challenges Haruka to a match, showing Haruka his overwhelming power. Not wanting it to end like this, Haruka, gathers together Makoto and Nagisa once again and brings a new member named Rei Ryugazaki to create the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club in order to defeat Rin.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like the first two episodes aired already at a pre-screening event. After checking out many of the previews and the news few weeks ago, this series is definitely something to keep an eye on. I'm a Kyoto Animation fan so looking forward to this.

Oh and for those curious, here are some reactions on CR. I think there are some minor spoilers in there so be aware. This looks fun though so I'm excited for the summer Cool

Last edited by Stark700 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:06 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
So what is this? Fanservice for females? Seems like a sausage fest to me.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Swimming. Swimming is serious business.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Freedoooooooom!
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Ok, as incredibly happy as this poster and synopsis is making me, what the hell kinda buisness disision was it to name this thing "Free" O_o do they have any idea what will happen when people start googling "Free anime"???
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

As if there isn't enough fish fests around Wink

I'm looking forward to the show; swimming and hot guys, good combination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
Im no where near the target demographic for this, but morbid curiosity might pique my interest to check out the first episode (if only cause of the notoriety/hype the show has gained over its time)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
BesuDesu wrote:
Ok, as incredibly happy as this poster and synopsis is making me, what the hell kinda buisness disision was it to name this thing "Free" O_o do they have any idea what will happen when people start googling "Free anime"???

I actually went ahead and made the experiment. I googled "Free Anime" and at least the first results page and the top relevant pictures are all about the KyoAni series.

Don't worry, us illegal dwellers have plenty of keywords to search for the stuff we want Wink
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

well this sure didn't take long Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
It's been streamed for more than an hour, and there aren't any comments about the episode? Wow...

The water effects were beautiful, but that's expected from KyoAni. The rest? I'm not sure, yet. The teacher might be fun. Ep. 1 was mildly interesting. I'll stick with it for at least two more episodes.

Has KyoAni shown so much bare skin before (and in just one episode! ^^; )? I haven't watched all of their products, but nothing's coming to mind.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I watched it just now and... I didn't know how to react. It looks like they're basically anime girls in hot male bodies. I think it's weird.
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well, that was gratuitous, but mostly fun. Sports aspect not yet Kuroko or Ro-Kyu-Bu level, not even close, but has potential.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Well for most of part this has been very boring,I know some people who find it to be hilarious but I didn't.I never liked cute guys being being to each other so I dont see why I should like it here.
There were some legitimately awesome moments such as the introduction Rin,and when they started undressing dramatically.
What this series needs to focus more is on dramatic poses and swimming.The ending of episode implies that it will go in that direction.
Also the animation was simply amazing and the ending was awesome.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
My review of this episode is basically 'meh'.

It did take me 6 or 7 episodes to get into K-on so I will keep at it, see what happens. At least there is at least one cute girl in the show so far, Gou, whereas the ladies got no men at all in K-on.

So far red is the best colour.

Also love the op.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this way more than someone into neither BL nor sports anime should. First of all, it was hilarious, especially Haru's tendency to strip when he's near a pool (and wear a swimsuit in the tub)! Rin's intro was wonderfully over-the-top. That rap! Nagisa fidgeting like a little boy and jumping down the stairs was cute. Curious about the teacher-how much you wanna bet she was a swimmer before becoming a teacher? I was disappointed that we didn't see Rin and Haru race at the end!

So, the show caught my attention beyond the hype. Looking forward to next ep!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 34