• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sweetness & Lightning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
meiam wrote:
Vivek2510 wrote:
Does anybody know WHY we won't get a yotsubato anime ever?

Same reason we'll never get a Calvin and Hobs, the author just doesn't think animation can do the work justice.

And more specifically that he wasn't impressed by the anime adaptation of Azumanga Daioh.
Azuma has expressly denied these rumours. He was happy with the Azumanga Daioh anime, and the reason meiam gave for Yotsuba not getting adapted isn't a consequence of his experience with the prior adaptation.

Having said that, I do hope that Azuma becomes aware of this show, because I think it would put his concerns about the unadaptibility of Yotsuba to rest. Judging by his original comments, he's probably not much of an anime watcher, but the similarity of the setup could draw his attention and maybe cause him to reconsider his view of what TV animation is capable of nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has self taught himself how to cook for the most part I do find it a bit weird when I see people having trouble cutting vegetables and stuff. Maybe the fact that I was in the boy scouts made it easier for me to handle knives and stuff. And my sister actually did get salt mixed up with sugar when making some marinated pork once, although it actually still tasted good

But as far as cutting onions, if you run some hot water over them before cutting them it cuts down on the tear gas, I think I've only cried cutting onions once in my life.

btw, Koroti's face when she saw her mom in the sailor uniform was pretty hilarious
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Hello vashfanatic!
vashfanatic wrote:
I see her more as craving the parent-child relationship that Kouhei and Tsumugi have that she's seriously lacking (is her fear of knives connected to why mom and dad are divorced? that could be a dark turn).

The signs are certainly pointing in this direction. To the writers' credit, the show already has two different tragic backstories to delve into at a moment's notice. If ever a tragic flashback or two is needed to sober the tone, they won't be wanting for options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The third episode inspired me to try my hand at Japanese-style hamburger steak. Like Food Wars, this show always leaves me hungry - but for dishes I can actually recreate.

John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The signs are certainly pointing in this direction. To the writers' credit, the show already has two different tragic backstories to delve into at a moment's notice. If ever a tragic flashback or two is needed to sober the tone, they won't be wanting for options.

I already got tears welling up when the coworkers simply mentioned his wife's passing. But I'm an absolute emotional wreck for anything where the wife dies and leaves the husband alone (It was bad enough before I married my wife, now the waterworks come even easier, though nothing beats the first five minutes of Pixar's Up of course.) If they really decided to go for a more somber tone, it would be easy.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Gods this show is so adorable. As someone who has tried to use a gratin to get a young girl to eat her veggies (and with success!), I can attest that this is a viable strategy.

I thought the teacher coworker was adorable as well. Giving fresh veggies to everyone in the office as a pretext for what he actually wanted to do, which was to make sure poor Kouhei is eating right and getting all his veggies. What a sweetheart!

The new girl chatting with Kotori at school also seems like a supporting character who will be able to generate some warm fuzzies, by softening Kotori's now firmly-established isolation at school, and probably providing another source of energy in some scenes going forward. Tsumugi is adorable and energetic as heck, but she can't do all the heavy lifting to keep our attention in every scene, and her father and Kotori are great, but they aren't exactly overflowing with energy either Very Happy.

Kudos to Kouhei for getting that bechamel right on the first try, though. It took me a few tries to not brown the flour too much while cooking it. Now if he could just stop trying to lop off his own finger every week...

I continue to love this show, and I want to hug each and every person in it. Also, I'm hungry again.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
If I may be frank, episode three's moment of catharsis seemed out of place. While Tsumugi's reticence to help with the cooking is perfectly understandable, I cannot say it fitted her character for her to cry upon trying her Hamburg steak. Recognising that the meal is a gesture of placation and comfort, and duly being moved by the receipt thereof, goes somewhat beyond the level of emotional intelligence I would expect of a sulking child. Still, it certainly accorded with the episode's narrative arc.

More importantly, slicing an onion by drawing the blade longitudinally towards the controlling hand never bodes well! How I winced as I saw such a horror!

My only additional gripe is that shaping raw minced beef by hand will only warm it and draw the fleeting, flavoursome fats away from its surface. When I prepare hamburgers, I ensure not to manhandle the patties on pain of foregoing succulence. Do be gentle with your beef, chaps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
My only additional gripe is that shaping raw minced beef by hand will only warm it and draw the fleeting, flavoursome fats away from its surface. When I prepare hamburgers, I ensure not to manhandle the patties on pain of foregoing succulence. Do be gentle with your beef, chaps.
With a patty that is going on the grill and then into a bun, I agree completely! But then, in a lot of ways the Western hamburger is very different from the Japanese one. In a Western burger, for instance, putting pretty much anything in the mixture but ground beef, salt, pepper, and maybe another spice or two is a bit of a travesty (at least it verges on being overly cute).

In the Japanese dish, the addition of sauteed onions, egg, worcester (or some equivalent), bread crumbs, garlic, tofu, and any of a number of other ingredients pretty much means you have to work the mixture fairly thoroughly to get all the flavors melding and the consistency...well, consistent. Very Happy And then once that's done, you have to do the little back-and-forth catch game (*pachi pachi*) to work the air out. Also, the Japanese version tends to be mixed pork and beef, which means the fat content is a lot higher than the 80/20 or so that most grilled burgers get.

When done right, you definitely get patties that are plenty juicy and incredibly flavorful, even if any decent burger joint in the US would be appalled if you tried to serve it in their restaurant Anime hyper. Try it some time! It really is soo good!

PS JaggedAuthor that's awesome, how did it taste? I've made myself hungry talking about this and seeing your picture, so now I might go out and get the ingredients to make it myself!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
PS JaggedAuthor that's awesome, how did it taste? I've made myself hungry talking about this and seeing your picture, so now I might go out and get the ingredients to make it myself!

It was great, thanks! The prep is pretty similar to regular hamburgers and meatloaf, so even someone as culinarily-challenged as myself can pull it off with ease.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I see her more as craving the parent-child relationship that Kouhei and Tsumugi have that she's seriously lacking (is her fear of knives connected to why mom and dad are divorced? that could be a dark turn).

Not technically a spoiler because it was covered in chapter two of the manga (but left out of episode two of the anime), Kotori's fear of knives spoiler[comes from a bad accident with a kitchen knife as a small child].

JaggedAuthor wrote:
The third episode inspired me to try my hand at Japanese-style hamburger steak. Like Food Wars, this show always leaves me hungry - but for dishes I can actually recreate.

Though it shows up much later in the manga, I'm making spaghetti alla carbonara soon because of Sweetness and Lightning.

steelmirror wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
With a patty that is going on the grill and then into a bun, I agree completely! But then, in a lot of ways the Western hamburger is very different from the Japanese one.

Mostly - Hamburg Steak (hanbaagu) is not a hamburger (hambaagaa). Unlike a hamburger (which relies only on fat for juiciness) and more like meatloaf it has a number of additional moisture enhancing ingredients (onion, panade, tofu, eggs). It's also (again, more like meatloaf) served with a generous serving of gravy or a sauce of some kind poured over it. Because of this serving style it's sometimes translated as Salisbury Steak (which is the route taken by the manga translator) instead of Hamburg Steak.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Dear sweet Christ, Tsumugi is adorable. Her little 'magic spell', her cat smile of smugness, how she tricked her dad....aaaaaaaa!

I'm totally with you, Tsumugi, peppers are awful. ...though oddly enough, I used to love them. Ate all sorts of veggies straight out of the garden, dirt and all.

Then I got an ulcer and half of them started making my tummy EXTREMELY hurty, and now I hate them. Good ol' negative reimforcement/aversion/childhood trauma! Though I still like the FLAVOR they give things. Onions, pineapple, tomatoes...

.....peppers can still go screw tho.

(for anyone wondering, aside from a minor relapse in my pre-early teens, I'm fine now.)
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Not technically a spoiler because it was covered in chapter two of the manga (but left out of episode two of the anime), Kotori's fear of knives spoiler[comes from a bad accident with a kitchen knife as a small child].

If you look closely, you can see that she's always wearing a band-aid on one of her fingers. I mean, the same finger every time.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Since green peppers always tasted like nothing to me, I was surprised so many of the kids I grew up with hated them with a passion. Then again, unlike Tsumugi, most of these guys weren't crazy about vegetables in general. All things considered, Tsumugi is considerably less finicky than most of the kids I've known, so putting the pepper thing to bed is probably in everyone's best interest. My mom eventually went the puree route with my sister - but only because she refused to eat any veggies for a time.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'm with Tsumugi too... Green peppers are nasty.

And we also know how they're going to bring in the side characters... they're skipping manga chapters. I wonder how deep they're going to go (the manga is up to 30 some chapters). Though there's a couple that if they skip, I'm going to be moderately annoyed.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I can't eat non-spicy peppers to save my life.

That scene with Tsugumi taking them apart with the chopsticks?

I do exactly the same thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8