• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Mob crying when he fought Tsuchiyo was also very in line with his character, and her convincing him to fight her fairly seemed in line with what little we know of her character (I liked her, hope she becomes an ally).

I liked that scene too, it was a part of that question that say violence against women is seen as sexist and wrong, but on the topic of treating a female character with kid gloves you actually kind of disrespecting the character and is insulting. It does kind of feel like some defining moments that she would ask that Mob treat her the same, and that apparently Mob follow through, even if off-screen.

As for the answer of the of the question of might makes right and what that means to the little man, I would think that it is one outside big flashy action sequences. It would be people just coming together talking, and making an effort outside of big super powers. Acts of the powerless like Mumen Rider providing hope for a crowd, how Reigen has had positive effect Mob, and in turn Mob had a positive effect on Teru just with words, that a powerless person like say a teacher, friend, or family member can have on making others be better people and in turn the world. Or I am just being mushy.
Kibate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote
The reviewer said that ONE fails to actually show and explain why super powerful beings wouldn't be able to rule, and that there is a contradiction as the protagonists of his two popular manga are powerful themselves.
But the truth is, ONE already did, for both Saitama and Mob, show that psychic powers can't rule.
Since this is a mob psycho review, let's focus on him. The answer ONE already showed us: No matter how powerful you are, there are things you can't do, things that may be even more important to you, like: Muscles(Mob) or friends(Teru).

And that's all. As Reigen put it, there are people who are good at sports, art, music, whatever, you can't put one over the other. Sure, Mob could kill any artist, musician and even athlete, but then what? Would you want to live in a world without art, music or sports to enjoy? Would you want a girlfriend that you only got because you force her with strength to submit to you? This is why any person who has forced himself through sheer strength to a top position always tries to go higher and higher, because he can't be satisfied as being at the top is not what they truly desire. They simply realized at an early age that winning over another person gives them a short moment of satisfaction and then merely become junkies to that feeling.

But worry not, ONE will do eventually explore that problem in a future arc in the manga again, but the lesson is already explained now. Basically every strong psychic in this story has other desires than "conquering the world" or meaningless stuff like that, desires that can't be fulfilled by their strong abilities.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
Kibate wrote:
snip
That's one of the things that I actually greatly enjoyed with ONE's work on Mob Psycho is the simplicity of its underlying messages. Reigen indeed spelled it out for the audience in episode 5, and the further we get into the story (especially in the arc that was meant to be a follow-up of the 7th Branch/Scar invasion) the clearer the message gets. There are simply things that having psychic powers won't let you obtain, and that the advantages those powers bring you shouldn't define your entire existence: "it's okay to be proud of who you are, just don't get conceited about it".
However, learning to accept himself, which inevitably includes the powers he despises so much (and by extension all those bottled up feelings that only surge out when his emotional stress is at its peak) is a crucial part of Mob's development; as Reigen himself told him, trying to supress himself won't do him no good. As such, I really don't think bobduh's presenting him as a champion of "normalcy" is that accurate of an assessment on Mob's role in this story (at least not as accurate as his take on Mob's humility).

Of course, as others have said, the reviewer might need to watch the episode until the end and update his entry accordingly.

As for the episode itself, I too particularly appreciated the Tsuchiya scene, which does a good job clearing up the usual misconceptions people have about the idea of violence against women (in entertainment or elsewhere). I wish her line about actually being the more morally reprehensible of the two for beating on a child was included, but her line of thinking can easily be inferred from her inner thoughts at the beginning of the fight. She clearly isn't cool with the idea, but she'll definitely go in if need be.
I don't see many people point this out, but I believe Mob's reaction to his battle against Tsuchiya says way more about Reigen himself and the kind of relationship they have than it does about Mob's own moral compass. It's quite adorable to see that Mob takes his master's lessons to heart to the point of straight up crying when he believes he's disregarded or gone against them. On the other hand, this kind of dated reasoning does seem to paint Reigen as a bit of a fedora tipper with the ladies who should probably spend more time socializing than overworking himself to death and faffing about with a gullible middle schooler. Laughing

Obviously none of the animeonlies will care, but I'm so, so, so happy with Shou's VA and color scheme. I was very worried that BONES would pull a fast one on us and make his hair green or something, so I have to say I'm relieved. It also appears that he's got his own music theme, which does sound really good. A shame we won't get to see much of him this season (and I'm legitimately disappointed that he wrecked Ritsu offscreen) but I'm hopeful we'll get an announcement for a sequel sometime in the near future.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
This ep doesn't stand out visually sure, but this is probably one of my favorite episodes so far. The milder gags and the higher stakes probably helped. Seems like MP100 still works for me even when things get serious (unlike OPM).

And just what in the world spoiler[is Reigen doing there? There's no way he's the boss, right? Right?] Shocked. Currently suppressing the temptation to read ahead of the manga to find out what will happen next week. Hope I can hold out... Anime hyper
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Starbuckets wrote:

As for the episode itself, I too particularly appreciated the Tsuchiya scene, which does a good job clearing up the usual misconceptions people have about the idea of violence against women (in entertainment or elsewhere).

I wouldn't call it misconceptions. Perhaps misinterpretations? Men are generally physically stronger than women, but the idea that domestic violence can be prevented merely by teaching boys not to hit girls physically simplifies a complex discussion about factors of abuse--mutual respect, not using force to get what you want from others, not feeling entitled to others' time, love or resources, the importance of consent, etc--general ideas that apply equally to both genders. I have no problem with the simplistic "don't become violent with those physically weaker than you," as long as its backed up later with more complex ideas and not old fashioned chivalry (or "fedora tipping," as you call it) which tends to rely on men deciding what's best for women. In that vein, listening to women describe what they want within interactions is as important as knowing not to hit them as a general rule. Tsuchiya looks like she's a strong physical fighter even without the addition of psychic powers, and being treated as an equal sparring partner is important to her. Respecting that is very much in line with mutual respect even as it overrides traditional chivalry. Hope that made sense!
Quote:
I wish her line about actually being the more morally reprehensible of the two for beating on a child was included, but her line of thinking can easily be inferred from her inner thoughts at the beginning of the fight. She clearly isn't cool with the idea, but she'll definitely go in if need be.

That's an awesome line and would have shown how both of them had to respect the individual in that interaction rather than rely on general rules of propriety. I actually don't think her line of thinking made the dichotomy as clear as that line would have. Too bad they left it out.
Quote:
I don't see many people point this out, but I believe Mob's reaction to his battle against Tsuchiya says way more about Reigen himself and the kind of relationship they have than it does about Mob's own moral compass. It's quite adorable to see that Mob takes his master's lessons to heart to the point of straight up crying when he believes he's disregarded or gone against them. On the other hand, this kind of dated reasoning does seem to paint Reigen as a bit of a fedora tipper with the ladies who should probably spend more time socializing than overworking himself to death and faffing about with a gullible middle schooler. Laughing

Totally agree! Everything we've learned about Reigen paints him as a decent, if old fashioned, guy who's had a generally good influence on Mob. Even his con artistry avoids more predatory tactics. Which is why I'm so confused by his spoiler[appearance as the "boss" of Claw. Huh? That does *not* fit!]. In a show like Taboo Tattoo, I'd write it off as a cheap twist with no forethought put into it. In this story I have faith that ONE has thought this through. At least, I hope so!
Quote:
Obviously none of the animeonlies will care, but I'm so, so, so happy with Shou's VA and color scheme. I was very worried that BONES would pull a fast one on us and make his hair green or something, so I have to say I'm relieved. It also appears that he's got his own music theme, which does sound really good. A shame we won't get to see much of him this season (and I'm legitimately disappointed that he wrecked Ritsu offscreen) but I'm hopeful we'll get an announcement for a sequel sometime in the near future.

Hey, I want to be a manga reader, too! Just as soon as someone publishes it legally in my language. What is Viz waiting for?! Also, ditto on Ritsu being beaten off screen, and the hope for a sequel!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
This episode was pretty packed, so we might yet get Shou v Ritsu in a flashback next week. You never know.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I wouldn't call it misconceptions. Perhaps misinterpretations? Men are generally physically stronger than women, but the idea that domestic violence can be prevented merely by teaching boys not to hit girls physically simplifies a complex discussion about factors of abuse--mutual respect, not using force to get what you want from others, not feeling entitled to others' time, love or resources, the importance of consent, etc--general ideas that apply equally to both genders. I have no problem with the simplistic "don't become violent with those physically weaker than you," as long as its backed up later with more complex ideas and not old fashioned chivalry (or "fedora tipping," as you call it) which tends to rely on men deciding what's best for women. In that vein, listening to women describe what they want within interactions is as important as knowing not to hit them as a general rule. Tsuchiya looks like she's a strong physical fighter even without the addition of psychic powers, and being treated as an equal sparring partner is important to her. Respecting that is very much in line with mutual respect even as it overrides traditional chivalry. Hope that made sense!
Don't worry, it made perfect sense! It's my bad for using the wrong word, but it's more or less what I had in mind as well: there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of "not hitting on girls" as long as it's supported by a solid reasoning and more importantly, is part of the larger and more important notion of "not hurting those weaker than you" and showing respect for the other (which in Mob's case it seemingly wasn't, at least until Tsuchiya went out of her way to explain where he was wrong).

Gina Szanboti wrote:
This episode was pretty packed, so we might yet get Shou v Ritsu in a flashback next week. You never know.
Well, not sure if spoiler but Shou v. Ritsu doesn't happen in the manga either, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. ^^ I was mainly counting on this episode to provide some anime-original content for a fight that I personally believe should've been shown, but (unfortunately) BONES remained 99.9% faithful to the source this week.
Gan_HOPE326

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lofty words about the value of normalcy and the evils of arbitrary meritocracy are well and good, but when you exist in a world where might actually can make right, and you happen to personally be the mightiest, couching your victory in populist rhetoric comes across as a little hollow.

This is the bit of the review that puzzles me the most. Might does not make right in OPM or Mob Psycho 100's worlds any more than it does in our world. If by "right" we mean the actual ability to impose one's laws and worldview on others, and not some transcendental notion of "good", then that's absolutely true of our world too, with the only difference that no single individual wields such overwhelming power, and instead it's organisations who do. But when ISIS takes over and rules with its own crazy logic entire portions of the Middle East, how is that not them deciding what constitutes "right" and "wrong" through the exercise of sheer violence?

If, on the other hand, we consider "right" as a purely ethical concept, then there's no contradiction at all. The mighty might be wrong, and the weak might be right. What Mob and Saitama represent isn't the peak of power - it's the fact that they manage to reconcile that with a greater moral stature than any of their peers. I'd add that if anything their power seems to be *rooted* in this moral stature, even if it's for them only. For Saitama, it's his dedication to heroics in their purest form, the admiration for the figure of the hero that in his mind is still the same he saw in anime and super sentai show as a child, that pushed him to a training that made him into the strongest hero, stronger than fancy cyborgs, espers and alien overlords. For Mob, the source of his power are his most sincere emotions - he is a genuinely innocent and peaceful kid, and that gives a lot more weight to his anger.

Of course one might argue that imagining that the purest of the pure, the ones who best embody the ideals of those who are weak and suffer the arrogance of the powerful, will be bestowed by fate a power greater than any that has been ever seen, is in itself a power fantasy (though one as old as dust: "So the last will be first, and the first will be last"). But then ONE also takes care to deconstruct that as well, making his point very clear - overwhelming power isn't fun. It isn't pleasant. It's either a soul-sucking, alienating experience (Saitama) or something you need to be aware of and fear all the time while still not helping you to achieve what you really desire (Mob). In general, power isn't the answer, and seeking it for its own sake is an empty endeavour. Yet power can be used well - in fact, perhaps, it shall be used best - especially by those who not wish for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
ep 11,

DAAAAMN, I guessed last week that Reigen might have been bluffing but didn't think it would be so damn funny to watch. The fact that he was able to land sucker punches on two of the scars was hilarious as well. This series continues to be awesome, and somehow still manages to continue mob's character development. It really is a pity the next episode is the last one but at least I can continue the manga, whereas a lot of other series I'm watching are based off light novels that have yet to be translated.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
What an excellent episode all around. Nearly every featured character got their chance to shine and there were plenty of quieter moments to round out the consistently amazing animation. And as I always say, god bless Reigen. Next week is gonna be a real doozy. I'm going to miss this show, but I desperately hope that BONES does a second season. I don't care, call it wishful thinking, but I'm hopeful that it's going to happen, and sooner rather than later would be even better.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
That was fantastic from start to finish. Did anyone else cheer when Teru's cactus hair got lopped off? Very Happy So much better now.

I really liked that Mob and Ritsu's reunion took place in a room with no psychic powers, i.e., the thing that had come between them all their lives, removed. That's the metaphorical room Mob has always wanted to live in, while Ritsu has always felt trapped by. I guess that room was back to square one for Ritsu in a way, but at least here he can finally meet his brother on equal terms, so he can open up to him without jealousy or anger or fear.

And as usual, Reigan was awesome. Wink
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
What a fantastic episode! Comedy, drama, action and awesome visuals, it really had everything.

I've always liked Reigen, but now i'm in love. Next week can't come soon enough.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
Well, wow. Episode 11 truly delivers... Twenty something minutes packing in its best gags, feels, and gorgeous animation with still enough space to get some of the show's ideas across.

I love it how all the characters (but most especially Reigen) get to shine and helped carry the episode all the way to that cliffhanger ending... If only a season 2 is a certainty! The show still has one ep left and I'm already missing it... Anime hyper
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
As everyone's said, episode 11 was pretty stellar. I think that (and a lackluster last fourth in its competition) actually advanced MP100 over R;Z in my show 'rankings' for the season/year.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode #11:

After that suspenseful cliffhanger ending of the previous episode, I was in a mindset of how Reigen's involvement with Claw will come to light, which only made the opening sequence of #11 that much funnier, because I wasn't expected that Smile Touché.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14