• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is California The Otaku Promised Land?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

But in the age of the internet I just import stuff from Mandarake. Import stores here are a rip-off. If all you care about is Japanese merchandise the internet is much better off.

It's not exactly a "rip-off". Small businesses do not own large warehouses that many online stores do, and are unable to sell for cheap due to bulk buy discounts. They need to make something on their sales in order to stay alive, stay in business, and pay their pricey leases.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Normally I would say that the vast majority of the time you should just buy stuff online. Even I do it all the time despite living right in LA; generally speaking Jungle and Kino tend to stock mainly just mainstream recent-popular anime, and although I'm not trying to knock them because they do an incredibly good job keeping a large selection of the stuff, if you're into anything that's below a certain threshold of popularity, you won't find it. Plus, there's as much of a natural markup on a lot of stuff like con dealers' hall stores have; the vast majority of the time getting an artbook on a Japanese site or on Amazon JP plus proxy fees is cheaper than getting it at Kinokuniya or the dealer's hall.

That said, there are a few times there are advantages in having easy access to physical merch, particularly if they're small items. I was looking through the anime clearfile section in Kinokuniya the other day and bought one for $7. Buying that same one online would have cost me around $23 on Amazon JP, plus at least $12 from my proxy shipper unless I combined it with another order. Little things like that (blind box small figures, keychains, individual magazine issues) are really nice to be able to buy easily without much worry.

As for Little Tokyo cosplayers, there aren't a lot of organized meetups since most of those go to somewhere a bit more open-area where better photos can be taken, but in that same trip where I bought my clearfile I saw a random Chiaki Nanami cosplayer just walking around. Even if you don't see cosplayers you'll see people hanging around wearing things like Survey Corps T-shirts and stuff.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
As you implied towards the end of the article, nothing beats online. Ever since I figured out I can buy directly from Japan via distributors like HLJ, I haven't felt the need to go to a physical store. If you know what you are looking for and stay on top of new releases, this is the way to go. And if you don't know, nothing is stopping you from browsing their giant stock.

The only exception is that I will hit up the dealers rooms at conventions to see if there is anything there that I want but for whatever reason can't find online.

That is pretty much my approach to merchandise. I used to wait until the local convention rolled around since I wanted to directly examine the products. However, limiting myself to once a year, and only what was available that weekend, wasn't cutting it. Things like product reviews make easy to research the product, and shipping out of Japan can be pretty reasonable if you look around. The only down side is the waiting, but I've learned to treat it as a nice surprise when the item finally arrives.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I would have mentioned San Jose in this article. It's in the SF Bay Area, but it's far enough from San Francisco to consider it its own area. There is a large Japanese population there as well, and the Mitsuwa in San Jose is pretty nice (also happens to be in the same complex as Daiso). Pretty much whatever you can find, food-wise in Japantown, you can find at Mitsuwa...just without the hassle of actually getting to Japantown as SF is a pain of a city to drive in.

But aside from that, what makes California so nice in terms of 'otaku-ness' is just that it's an absolute mecha of everything. You can pretty much find good milk tea everywhere (stay away from Quickly), even outside of the SF and LA city limits.

I also recommend just using a deputy service and buying whatever you want from Yahoo Japan. Been using deputies for years and it is much cheaper than what you'd find at a convention.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
That is pretty much my approach to merchandise. I used to wait until the local convention rolled around since I wanted to directly examine the products. However, limiting myself to once a year, and only what was available that weekend, wasn't cutting it. Things like product reviews make easy to research the product, and shipping out of Japan can be pretty reasonable if you look around. The only down side is the waiting, but I've learned to treat it as a nice surprise when the item finally arrives.

It gets even better when you completely forget about one of your long term (6+ month) preorders. Then one day you just get a surprise package. Totally makes my day when that happens.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

This sounds incredibly sensationalist, and aren't nearly as extreme as they sound. These things are not exclusive to CA, nor are they worse off than many other states that suffer from other more severe, constant natural disasters.

It's particularly telling they felt the need to mention California sheltering criminals which feels like a blatant and rather unnecessary jab at the state's safe haven law. Whereas the earhquake and drought thing felt more like outdated/overblown stereotypes.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Full disclosure: I live here.

I notice that the Golden State is quite popular amongst ANN staff members these days.
But on your own heads be it! To go about the summer months in a state of sunburnt, perspiration-drenched and ever-thirsty malaise must offset the cultural bounties that California offers.

Cutiebunny wrote:
But aside from that, what makes California so nice in terms of 'otaku-ness' is just that it's an absolute mecha of everything.

I see what you did there...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
If you're looking for the best sushi in North America, Vancouver is your destination. We also have Pepper Lunch! We do lag behind LA in terms of ramen, though.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
It really should be Texas...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
A couple of things to mention: There is also a place called Toy Mandala in Sherman Oaks. It specializes in merchandise of all sorts of animation, but it has enough anime merchandise to be one of the biggest local vendors at Anime Expo. I believe it's currently at San Diego Comic-Con too. Right across Ventura Boulevard is aahs! though that is more oriented towards pop culture in general. If you're looking for hard-to-find merchandise, the Frank & Son Collectible Show in City of Industry is basically a year-round convention exhibition hall, though open only on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Competition between vendors is fierce though, and some of them can even undercut online prices. I recommend anyone who collects small items and lives in Los Angeles County or San Bernardino County to visit Frank & Son at least once (provided you can find parking). Finally, there is Critters in Montrose--not really the place to go for an anime fan, but it's good if you're looking for just plain weird merchandise.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that this article came up about a year after Famima! withdrew from the United States. It's a Japanese convenience store chain that expanded overseas, but for reasons I don't know, something went wrong and they're gone. There are other Japanese chains that have survived though. Yoshinoya is the biggest teriyaki bowl chain in the world, and they've long had a stronghold in southern California. We've had a teriyaki boom as of late though, but it's the only one that made its way over from Japan. Whether you like the food at Yoshinoya or not is a different matter, but it is a lot more distinctly Japanese in style than any of its competition, which are more American in style (containing chunks of steak instead of Yoshinoya's strips of beef, for instance). From what I hear, Round 1 Amusements is Japan-owned, which is an arcade chain. It imports arcade machines from Japan, so unlike other arcades, which are distinctly retro-themed or is full of redemption machines, Round 1s are full of rhythm games, driving games, and fighting games. Though Round 1 does have an incredibly wide selection of UFO Catchers, at least as far as prizes go. The one in Puente Hills has like 30 of them.

By the way, the Mitsuru Café is present in the thumbnail. That's my favorite placeto go for takoyaki. People also recommend the red bean pastries, but I haven't gotten any from there yet.

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
You can't pay me to move to California. Sanctuary cities everywhere, sheltering criminals. Earthquakes, droughts, no water, high taxes and expensive gas... I don't care if it's the anime promised land. I'll stick to ordering things online.

Don't forget the absolutely insane property values here, which has caused a crisis of its own in that very few people can own their own homes, and there is a much higher rate of adult children living with their parents because even housing to rent is very expensive.

Blanchimont wrote:
Are there any problems with bootlegs of merchandise?

I am enough weary of online shops as it is and wouldn't trust half of those advertising on UK anime mags. But with online ones you can at least do some research on the products and the stores themselves and eventually develop a feeling which stores to trust enough to go back to.

Going in cold into a small shop however, of course the well-known brands(Good Smile etc) should be easy enough to recognize on things like packaging et al, but I'd probably still feel a bit iffy...

There are definitely problems with bootleg things making their way into these stores. That's one benefit of having a brick-and-mortar place to shop: You can see these things in person and, for the most part, pretty easily identify if something is fake (like if the DVD cover is printed using a regular bubble jet printer, for instance).

There was this one place at the Westfield Santa Anita mall that was almost all bootlegs. It's gone now though. (For anyone reading this who's been to the mall, it was the place near the food court, next to the Dippin' Dots.)

Cutiebunny wrote:
I would have mentioned San Jose in this article. It's in the SF Bay Area, but it's far enough from San Francisco to consider it its own area. There is a large Japanese population there as well, and the Mitsuwa in San Jose is pretty nice (also happens to be in the same complex as Daiso). Pretty much whatever you can find, food-wise in Japantown, you can find at Mitsuwa...just without the hassle of actually getting to Japantown as SF is a pain of a city to drive in.

Daiso and Mitsuwa tend to be found together. I've only seen one Mitsuwa that didn't have a Daiso nearby (Costa Mesa), and even that had a Kinokuniya built into it.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm a San Francisco native (born and raised, briefly lived on the east coast as a toddler) and I know Japan Town well. It has changed through out the years, but I still love it.

I have to say my favorite change was to Kinokuniya, when I was younger it was small, tight and a mess, but then they expanded to downstairs and I love it.

Japan Video sadly isn't doing so hot, but I still see people inside... so that's good...

I've dragged my parents many times there as a kid and teen thanks to my love of anime. Though they did encourage it, so there's that...
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
You can't pay me to move to California. Sanctuary cities everywhere, sheltering criminals. Earthquakes, droughts, no water, high taxes and expensive gas... I don't care if it's the anime promised land. I'll stick to ordering things online.

As someone who lives in California, this is music to my ears. Please stay where you are. More awesome stuff for us, less traffic and people with negative attitudes. Beautiful weather, beautiful people, amazing food, wonderful diversity, weekly access to Jeff Goldblum, and acceptance for otaku of every stripe and orientation.
Although I haven't had a glass of water in so long...thirsty...so very thirsty...

leafy sea dragon wrote:
A couple of things to mention: There is also a place called Toy Mandala in Sherman Oaks. It specializes in merchandise of all sorts of animation, but it has enough anime merchandise to be one of the biggest local vendors at Anime Expo. I believe it's currently at San Diego Comic-Con too. Right across Ventura Boulevard is aahs! though that is more oriented towards pop culture in general. If you're looking for hard-to-find merchandise, the Frank & Son Collectible Show in City of Industry is basically a year-round convention exhibition hall, though open only on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Competition between vendors is fierce though, and some of them can even undercut online prices. I recommend anyone who collects small items and lives in Los Angeles County or San Bernardino County to visit Frank & Son at least once (provided you can find parking). Finally, there is Critters in Montrose--not really the place to go for an anime fan, but it's good if you're looking for just plain weird merchandise.

As usual, leafy sea dragon, you are on point! So many great options to choose from. It was fun seeing Frank & Son on an episode of Supergirl last season.

If you do find yourself in Anime Jungle in Little Tokyo, ask for Tetsu. He is the best! He'll try his hardest to find you that long lost or missing item to add to your collection, and he's a great guy to boot! Very Happy
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yoshinoya is the biggest teriyaki bowl chain in the world, and they've long had a stronghold in southern California. We've had a teriyaki boom as of late though, but it's the only one that made its way over from Japan. Whether you like the food at Yoshinoya or not is a different matter, but it is a lot more distinctly Japanese in style than any of its competition, which are more American in style (containing chunks of steak instead of Yoshinoya's strips of beef, for instance).

In Japan, Yoshinoya is (quality-wise) what McDonalds is in the US. Yoshinoya in the US (in my admittedly limited) experience is WORSE than Yoshinoya in Japan. I was surprised to learn recently that Gyu-Kaku has expanded to the US, I really hope to try the Houston location soon.
http://www.gyu-kaku.com/#!houston/c1moz
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Was really expecting a mention of Seattle, my hometown, where we have plenty of Japanese Americans and Japanese culture. Admittedly, it skews less toward otaku stuff and more toward general cultural stuff, like food, clothing, music, etc. But last time I was there there was still plenty of that too.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The drought thing isn't all that sensationalist, given those past few years and what the current year already blew through.

I have a bit of a mixed feeling for California. Ever since school everyone on the East Coast my age harbored a desire to move out there. Now all the tech and youth jobs went out there. California has everything. Every time I mention a niche shop, "Oh California has a few of those." It makes it hard to celebrate any gains anywhere else because of a "Simpsons did it" interruption.

I wish there'd be a bit more local focus on working the local crowd up to be something sustainable. Just my little off rant. Good for Cali, but no one can afford it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6