• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Future Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I always felt that "putting your life on the line" and "deliberately taking an action guaranteed to kill you" are treated differently by Danganronpa standards. Case-in-point Kizakura. Really hoping Kyoko took the cure bottle off of Kimura's body and let it all ride on a bet that she could use it to cheat death, somehow. If anyone could pull it off...

I'd very much like that reveal to not happen next episode, though. Hopefully she's going to pull the trick Makoto did (unintentionally) at the end of DR1, when he came back from "execution" to unmask the true mastermind, but another immediate fake-out will squander any good(?) will the series earned itself with this episode.
Miguel Angel Garcia Owen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll just leave this here: http://imgur.com/gallery/Buk5l
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Miguel Angel Garcia Owen wrote:
I'll just leave this here: http://imgur.com/gallery/Buk5l

Oh snap.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
We can already rule out Jacob's first theory. They're simply under the facility where they started, not on a different island. When Byakuya's men blew up the building, many of the characters reacted to the explosion, with Makoto and Asahina even glancing up. You can also see pieces of rubble sinking in the water while Sakakura is in the secret room. This also goes along with what Kyoko said to Mitarai in the latest episode about this duplicate facility implicating Munakata's involvement in the planning of the killing game since he, as the one who built the facility, should be aware of the underground duplicate and is likely the one who had it built. There's also the matter of the fleet that Munakata pre-emptively sent to Jabberwock. It's unlikely that the whole group could've been moved faster than the ships that were already on their way there, especially without tipping off Hajime/Izuru.

The simple explanation is that the conference room they started in is probably a big elevator. This also explains the lack of the knife mark on the wall that Kyoko took note of, assuming the walls stayed put while the floor and ceiling slid down.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one reminded of Nagito's death in DR2 when I saw Ruruka's corpse? Not just the horrific brutality of it, but it even kinda looks similar.

I also thought of the use of the monitors as a means to brainwash the victims, but I just assumed that meant the attacker was Mitarai, using the phone he's always clutching onto to play those despair-inducing videos remotely. Ruruka's eyes were wide open and bloodied, indicating that she was awake when she died. And if you brighten the image you can see blood and scraps of her shirt under her nails and in her hand, implying that at least some of it was in fact self-inflicted. After thinking on it a bit more, I agree with Jacob's theory more.

This has me thinking all the candies scattered on the floor and stuffed in her mouth were Ruruka's means of trying to fight the brainwashing, using the addictive qualities of her own sweets. This could also mean the stab wound in the eye of Gozu's mask was him attempting to stab his own eyes so he couldn't see the video.

One thing I noticed is China's NG Code is letting Munakata die. It's designed to mock her devotion toward Munakata, almost as if it's saying without him, she has no reason to live. That's fine and dandy, but I distinctly remember that Chisa's corpse was bleeding from it's left eye. What could it meeeeeean?~

spoiler[It could very well be nothing.]

I believe the building they're in is just another tower underneath headquarters. The OP foreshadows this with a quick shot of two FF towers facing away from each other. It leads you to believe it's a reflected image, but in reality it's showing the true nature of where they are.

It's kind of a shame Ruruka didn't end up a survivor of the game. She was one of the more fascinating of the new cast imo, and an excellent showcase of what a situation like this can get people to do. She was a girl so insecure about herself and so fearful of things going wrong for her that she used the people around her, not out of malice towards them, but for her own protection and security. She is hardly ever away from Izayoi, she felt the need to cheat in an exam she was guaranteed to pass anyway, and she never puts herself in harm's way if she can help it. Naturally, this killing game was the worst possible situation for someone as paranoid as her, intensifying her fears to almost maddening levels. Just the possibility of Izayoi betraying her nearly drove her insane, so it's interesting to imagine what would happen if he did. Probably an ending reminiscent of the Clover ending in 999.

It started to look like she was learning to rely on herself more shortly before her death, it's just kinda sad she didn't really get to prove herself.
TheFlu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
We can already rule out Jacob's first theory. They're simply under the facility where they started, not on a different island. When Byakuya's men blew up the building, many of the characters reacted to the explosion, with Makoto and Asahina even glancing up.

While it is tempting to believe this is true, it could just be a case of selective editing. Basically we were being led to believe the events were simultaneous, but in actuality aren't. That could mean that the time scale that Togami and company are operating under is very different than the one Makoto and company are, and events as we are perceiving them could be occurring at similar but not the same times, especially because they are not occuring at the same place. Especially with the reveal of the duplicate base, this is very plausible.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
TheFlu wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
We can already rule out Jacob's first theory. They're simply under the facility where they started, not on a different island. When Byakuya's men blew up the building, many of the characters reacted to the explosion, with Makoto and Asahina even glancing up.

While it is tempting to believe this is true, it could just be a case of selective editing. Basically we were being led to believe the events were simultaneous, but in actuality aren't. That could mean that the time scale that Togami and company are operating under is very different than the one Makoto and company are, and events as we are perceiving them could be occurring at similar but not the same times, especially because they are not occuring at the same place. Especially with the reveal of the duplicate base, this is very plausible.

What about all the pieces of rubble visually sinking when juzo entered the secret room? where they simultaneously falling for a different unexplored reasons in another island's underwater?
TheFlu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
TheFlu wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

What about all the pieces of rubble visually sinking when juzo entered the secret room? where they simultaneously falling for a different unexplored reasons in another island's underwater?

I forgot about that. That still is not hard evidence saying they are in the building below the other one, merely that they are below somewhere that could produce rubble. That could also put them on Jabberwock, which is the more logical location for all of this especially since we know that there is an armada of ships there fight Izuru/Hajime.
amc9988

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Am I the one who keep wondering HOW Kyoko knew that they are underwater, I mean sure she knew that they were moved to somewhere else, But how did she knew that they were trapped underwater considering she haven't open the monokuma door and leave before Juzo open it.

I guess everyone miss this detail since they were shocked with her "death"?
Vannil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
amc9988 wrote:
Am I the one who keep wondering HOW Kyoko knew that they are underwater, I mean sure she knew that they were moved to somewhere else, But how did she knew that they were trapped underwater considering she haven't open the monokuma door and leave before Juzo open it.

I guess everyone miss this detail since they were shocked with her "death"?

maybe she realized the pressure difference? she is super perceptive and would have noticed an air pressure change from being underwater fairly quickly as she is the "ultimate detective". which is why i am petty sure she figured that out fairly soon after they woke and was more concerned how to get out. everyone else was worried about other things and probably didn't notice it. You could also toy with the possibility of her having a complete knowledge of the whole situation or being involved in it, but even i know that is grasping straws. (you could support this as her kill action was if makoto was alive after the 4th time out, as chisa's was/ is if munakata is killed, which mean chisa had some involvement too again and again grasping straws)
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Before talking about the twists and theories, my opinion of the episode itself: spoiler[You don't trick anybody series, the counter being 6 instead of 5 reassures she is probably not dead (they don't even check her pulse, so), so I can't get emotional because I don't buy it, I feel manipulated. Second, I really can't stand the dialogue sometimes, it basically goes full force Nagito speech territory but if it was played straight, without the self-awareness of the cheesiness and bluntness of his high-concept hope-despair speeches, when Makoto and Munakata kept bickering at each other about that I wanted to look away the screen out of embarassment. And finally, while I guess Munakata being aware of Chisa's condition explains a little of his whole frustration and obsession, the fact that he learned it halfway and both before and after he still acted like a moron without reason or thinking just forcing conflict still makes me not have a drop of sympathy for him. So in terms of actual enjoyment while watching this episode (kind of like the others to be honest) I didn't enjoy it. But still, I'm interested enough to see whether the ending will save or sink the series, so I still have that hop-- expectation.]

Welp, twist #1: spoiler[Tengan saying there wasn't one attacker in particular but all the members without exception, Chisa included. It's a little confusing because according to our theories it would be the screens making them fall into despair, but by mentioning Chisa who was in despair way before and them realizing about it, it seems to suggest they are all right now in despair (and literally, not in a metaphorical way, that's at least how Munakata sees it and wants to kill everybody and even Makoto puts an example while calming Munakata that Kyoko could have betrayed them), and it doesn't seem to be reflected in how they act? I mean, most of them act like brats, but it seems to be messy writing rather that being intentional. Also, how does Tengan know about it and not the others? Did they all do this and they brainwashed together, is it all just one or two person's masterplan? Too many possibilites for the ambiguous information we have right now (also, the episode cuts before Aoi could explain from Kyoko's notes, damn it!).]

spoiler[Also, they threw the Despair Chisa card and Munakata having to grief for it, which makes me doubt that she is really alive, when they don't throw the bomb at Munakata all at once it feels like back then she really was done for (she could still be the mastermind yet dead to put this game into motion, or not, idk). It would be clearer if we knew whether Hiro was included in the body counter or not, but at least I'll say right now I don't trust the Aoi-Chisa theory.]

And twist #2 spoiler[shown after the credits: the whole basement is most likely a ship/submarine going directly to Jabberwock Island. That makes me wonder whether the decisions of invading the island AND the basement/ship going there too comes from the same mastermind, or the first one was Munakata's idea as Makoto assumed, and the ship is the counterattack to that plan. Either way, I'm not sure what is the purpose of colliding both groups together from a narrative and thematic reason (aside of probably converge both series' cast together for some finality), but we'll see. Can't say I enjoy watching it moment-by-moment, but the mystery aspect still intrigues me.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Kirigiri is still alive. If she is, all of this "she's really dead" feels pretty cheap, and with the survivor count, somewhat cringey as well. It's trying so hard to sell us something no one is really buying and they undermine their attempts with showing that she still lives in the count if this were the case. I could see it happen, but it would be very dumb, even for danganronpa.

I prefer the idea of having 2 hidden participants with the trick behind it being having us believe gekko bot was counted up until now. Episode 10 is a good point to unravel this (which it would have), and it's still vague enough to make it surprising.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I really wish people would stop treating each and every "fake" death as some lack of commitment on the author's part. What matters in drama is not the life or death outcome itself, but the audience's investment in that outcome. A story can become just as tiresome when every single presumed-death experience faced by the characters must result in one or more people dying for the sake of some misguided sense of "realism." The fact of the matter is, for some characters even the momentary belief that they did die can be an effective tool for the development of others.

If Kirigiri is still alive, it will be because some part of her gambit involves convincing others that she is dead, and the story will end in a way that will only be possible because of that trick. I don't think she can be ruled one way or the other yet, though I am worried for Naegi's current state of mind.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
^ That's my problem, investment. I consider this a failure because most of us don't even believe she is dead to begin with, which makes the drama afterwards unable to be taken seriously because you know they're playing with your feelings. Aoi's fake death before we knew it shocked us and we believed it, but Kyoko's we don't even have that (in fact, Aoi's is probably responsible of us not feeling any danger for the main characters).

Character deaths (mainly the ones meant to matter and be impactful) are one of the most emotionally potent plot devices in a story, so that means that if you use them poorly you feel like the creators are basically kicking your emotions for no reason and that's upsetting. Abusing of them in a cheap way is one, but fake deaths can be another because, well, they throw to the garbage all the grieving process you did before and it tends to eliminate consequences of the story, so if you are going to do one it should be very tight, and by having not only one before with Aoi (which is 100% cheap and without impact even on the characters' psyche) but suddenly another with Kyoko, it feels like they don't know what else to do to have a gripping climax without consequences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12