• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Okayado, The Father of Monster Musume

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
I would have loved to have met this guy. So far the only artist that I met was at NYCC some years ago. He did a lot of the chibi illustrations for Evangelion when they were doing the rebuild. I can't wait until this is released on DVD. Should be really fun. Speaking of which it's almost fall and it's time to read the next volume.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
That was a great interview. Love this guy and I love his work. As for my favorite monster girl... dear lord, that's a tough question. I'd have to go with Suu, and Miia a very close second. They're basically equal, but IMO Suu is a taf sweeter.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
I can't help but miss the Pixiv original a little bit, but the serialized manga is doing its own thing pretty well. I enjoy it a ton even though I don't like harem manga much these days.

Also, it would be funny if that one American fan kept saying he hated Polt but Google translate screwed up badly. Regardless, it's nice to see a mangaka paying attention to his overseas fans
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Great interview! I honestly don't seek out harem series, but I enjoyed how ridiculous the anime got (plus it was a very well done show!) I'll probably end up picking up the digital manga eventually (and keep my kindle hidden from my loved ones, lol)
Idgal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
OKAYADO was a fun guest to meet. He was very cool and nice. I saw him autographing fans who would just walk up to him. He sketched for all and loved taking cosplay fan photos. Definitely one of my top convention guest meet ever. Very humble and you can tell he was so happy and excited to be at AX.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. I did not know Centaur Worries predated Monster Musume. That's another series I really like.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
As Monster Musume is my favorite harem/echo anime from the past several years, this was an enlightening read.
idkAlan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I met him in the autograph section and he gave me a drawn picture of Centorea's mother and I even got a picture taken with him.
He was so cool and friendly with everyone.

Also when I went to the AX panel, the question when he was asked as to whether or not he'll include a BL/yuri couple, he actually hesitated for a while, then kinda groaned when he answered "maybe".

To me it felt like he "hated" the question, because if he did had any interest then he wouldn't have hesitated or groaned when he answered.
So it felt like a half-hearted maybe in order to "appease" the fans that were screaming at him to answer "yes".
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Always cool to get inside the heads of a creator like that. He sounds like a really fun guy. I can relate to his extensive use of Google Translate too. Sometimes it's a wonderful program. Laughing
K-Anime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Nice interview. Monster Musume is one of my favorite Harem manga series in the recent years. Cool, to hear something creator Okayado. Of some of the things i'd wish to see happen in the manga are... #1) Kimihito's character fleshed out more. #2) A guaranteed Harem Ending (or before an ending and have it halfway into the series). Well that's only naming a few.

Lots of love for 12 Beast too. Wish the story picked up the pace a little, so 12 Beast can get a anime too.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Damn reading this interview only makes me regret not being able to attend AX even more. I love Monster Musume and I would have been thrilled to meet Okayado. If I only could have gone I would of asked Okayado for a drawn picture of my favorite monster girl Miia. Crying or Very sad
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Kinda regret not taking a photo with him when I got an autograph. Darn my self-consciousness about photos of myself... Razz
Desa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
The story about the assistant getting her panties in a bunch because she thought someone called her an "obaa-san" was hilarious. I thought that was just an anime trope but to think it actually happens IRL. Scary indeed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
If he was to stay faithful to their Greek versions, then Miia would have been a child-eating snake demon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

passive meat-eating boy

Herbivores are the grass-eating males, right?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2009/06/the_herbivores_dilemma.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2