• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touhou Gensou Rondo: Bullet Ballet English Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
Touhou seems to be making itself at home here in North America, I was at the MegaCon earlier this year and was looking over a collection of Touhou character figures at a dealer's table. I ended up talking with a cosplayer from Hong Kong who was saying that there were more figures, including some rare & collectible, than what he could get in the stores back home.

Mark Gosdin
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first commercial western release of a Touhou game?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is this the first commercial western release of a Touhou game?

Touhou 14 had a digital-only western release through Playism in 2015, but as far as I know, this is the first physical media release (although this game is technically a Touhou fangame, and not a canonical part of the ongoing storyline).
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't surprise me Flandre was chosen. She's continued to be one of the series most popular characters despite the fact that she's been rarely seen in the series.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Touhou seems to be making itself at home here in North America, I was at the MegaCon earlier this year and was looking over a collection of Touhou character figures at a dealer's table. I ended up talking with a cosplayer from Hong Kong who was saying that there were more figures, including some rare & collectible, than what he could get in the stores back home.
There are a bunch of Touhou figures; I ended up buying a Remilia and a Yuyuko figure just because I liked the way they looked. I never ended up playing the games, which means this is my first Touhou purchase since those two figures - and just now was the first time I realized it was PS4-only.
Arakiba

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
Doesn't surprise me Flandre was chosen. She's continued to be one of the series most popular characters despite the fact that she's been rarely seen in the series.

To be fair, that's true of a good amount of the cast. Some just show once or twice and are still fairly popular.

And I mean, this is the fandom that latches onto nameless/artless midbosses (i.e. Koakuma, Daiyousei). We're a weird bunch, Touhou fans.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Arakiba wrote:
To be fair, that's true of a good amount of the cast. Some just show once or twice and are still fairly popular.

And I mean, this is the fandom that latches onto nameless/artless midbosses (i.e. Koakuma, Daiyousei). We're a weird bunch, Touhou fans.

Having been a fan of The Simpsons, South Park, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and One Piece, all of which have had random rarely-seen characters become very popular weith their fanbases, I assure you that behavior is definitely NOT weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1