• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Hater Patrol

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess I have a difference of opinion on Mob Psycho 100, of course, I didn't like One Punch Man but I think Mob Psycho 100 had a good overall character arc for Mob in the four episodes I've seen.

I almost by default have to go to how it is written since I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of animation and sure it doesn't get to what it's trying to say till episode five. But at least it bothered to give us a protagonist with some semblance of an inner life.

As far as Love Live Sunshine episode six was a bad episode While the voice acting as it is may be a mixture of how the characters are written and that a good portion of the Seiyuu are inexperienced or have no prior experience voice acting may explain why it feels a little overwrought. Overall I think it will come into its own as a series given time.

I did not see Suicide Squad so I have no opinion on it sorry to hear so many people didn't end up liking it or hearing that it had technical issues.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Welp. I have no idea how somebody can praise Utena with its bizarre, self-indulgent symbolism bordering on randomness and pretentiousness, and yet trash the straightforward Mob like that, deeming it "inaccessible" when both plots, at their core, are coming-of-age stories about adolescence. How can you miss the point so badly? Unlike OPM, there is literally a narrator to tell you what's going on inside Mob's heart. It's a very human story, and its characters are arguably quite innovative. What is Mob's archetype? What is Reigen's? Can you name better side characters than the Body Improvement Club?

What show did they watch? It certainly wasn't the "Mob Psycho 100" adaptation carried out by BONES and directed by Yuzuru Tachikawa.

Last edited by Chrysostomus on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:38 am; edited 2 times in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with the Mob Psycho discussion. They made it very clear as early as episode 3 that Mob was struggling with trying to be a normal kid.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
What a show of surprises! Thank you once more.

It is still quite unexpected, in the most pleasant of senses, to hear how Jacob had warm words for Planetarian. While there are all manner of objections that could be levied towards it, such as its main character's naiveness, its tepid score and so on, the fact there is a Key adaptation he can unreservedly recommend suggests that my tastes have at least a modest intersection with his, which I can take as a happy revelation.

As for Sweetness and Lightning, my concern is that the episodic structure of Kōhei bonding with Tsumugi through their cooking sessions is naturally gratifying, but it bears a rigid upper limit to its effectiveness.Though there is a sense of familial love that this show evokes so effortlessly, for it to resonate beyond the occasional tender moment will require some sort of alteration in the basic arrangement of each week's outing.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack is something I would not have anticipated Zac to have enjoyed, given some of the things he said during the Suicide Squad discussion. Gundam battles earn their keep through being choreographed in a way that resonates with how the audience comes to view the characters involved, and this was a film which, in the most crucial of ways, did not respect this principle. Hasty and insincere pacing robbed many of the main developments of any credible impact, something which really should not happen in such an important film in the UC continuity!

Finally, I have a statement to issue about carbohydrates:
They are the food of your ancestors! Woe betide he who so gaily discards the grateful services rendered unto mankind by the humble potato and grain! Your lineage, nay, all our lineages, have such foodstuffs to thank for their continuity. I say in the spirit of the very survival of the human race: do not scorn the spud or recoil from rice!

spoiler[I have never eaten a corn dog. Is there anything to it besides a sausage enrobed in a pancake-like coating?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
What I love is when anyone anywhere on the internet gives an in-depth reason why Suicide Squad was a bad movie, and they get endless replies calling them "Marvel fanboy."
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:

I did not see Suicide Squad so I have no opinion on it sorry to hear so many people didn't end up liking it or hearing that it had technical issues.

Critics saying bad things about the movie don't mean anything. It's already super successful and has another movie announced.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
In response to what Jacob said about Steven Universe, I also wasn't in love with the Mr. Greg episode as many others were, and I certainly saw the fanbase going crazy over it. My problem with it was simply that the first half of the episode had this very fun, energetic, happy tone, and then all of a sudden it takes a complete left turn into sad emotional territory. It was very awkward tonal shifting.

In regards to Suicide Squad, I think the guys at Red Letter Media put it best when pointing out that the studios hire these visionary directors like David Ayer, and then screw around with the production and prevent them from doing what they originally hired them to do in the first place. It's insane.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
HAruhi box set does NOT come with the Haruhi movie
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
What Zac hates stuff? Nahhh!!! Laughing

I had read OPM before the anime and enjoyed it. Meanwhile the anime was great to look at, but experiencing the story a second time around I felt more like meh. I had also read Mob Psycho before the anime and also had fun with it, but I was kind of expecting to have a similar reaction that I had with the OPM anime that it wouldn't hold up the second time around. The first two episodes kind of felt that way and I was a little underwhelmed, but after that for me it definitely improved. It would have been interesting to have Nick Creamer on ANNCast since I think he also wasn't blown away by OPM but has been more favorably disposed towards Mob.

I also think Drifters has nothing to do with Hellsing. If I recall it takes place on a different world with magic and other races. Oh I also loved Rip Van Winkle.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Critics saying bad things about the movie don't mean anything. It's already super successful and has another movie announced.

The sequel was already announced when the first trailer dropped last year I think. The cast consensus is that the critics hated it but the fans, who they made the movie in mind of in the first place, loved it and it's true. I definitely loved the movie, and I think it's impossible not to if you have an extremely open and uncritical mind.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

spoiler[I have never eaten a corn dog. Is there anything to it besides a sausage enrobed in a pancake-like coating?]

spoiler[
They're nasty,]

Lord Oink wrote:

While this is true the problem is that both critical and personal perception of a movie can still hurt it even should the movie be successful, lord knows it hurt Batman v Superman.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

The first weekend was. But then again Batman v Superman's first was as well but then it dropped significantly the second weekend (68% to be precise). So we'll see if it can be super successful yet, or if people will just go see Sausage Party.

Speaking of, @Zin5ki, spoiler[A corn dog is a hot dog in cornmeal batter, fried and served on a stick]

And yeah, it would be weird if Zac and Jacob weren't negative on stuff. I wouldn't say they are haters as that has a particular connotation (though the stuff on Mob Psycho cuts a little towards that but not really). Always been that way ever since I was became a reader of the site six or so years ago (pay no attention to the date to the left) (and in the case of Zac, much longer as seen in this Tales of the Industry column entry). No need to be so self conscious about it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
You guys really need to get back into Steven Universe, this show got really good in the past 5-6 episodes. I wasn't expecting it to take such a dark turn. Also Thursday's episode was hilarious.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised so many people are vehemently defending Suicide Squad. I saw it, it was a mess of a movie. It had some glimmers of good scenes and good acting lost in the terrible editing and story, but that's it. Warner Brothers f*cked up the story badly, why aren't you holding them accountable instead of pretending this movie wasn't a disaster?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with the Mob Psycho discussion. They made it very clear as early as episode 3 that Mob was struggling with trying to be a normal kid.

Not only that, but even in the first episode there were hints of his struggle, like at the end when he watches a group of friends and feels isolated until Reigen comes along. I mean the show is intentionally structured in this way, to an extent it reflects Mob's feelings. He is constantly trying to change, he is trying to forget about his flaws, until his inability to control his own social life or complexes becomes too prominent which results in a cathartic release. It's really wrong to compare it to OPM considering that thing thrives on anti-climax, it is much easier to compress that story in a small fragment. But even so I would say Mob Psycho's direction was always obvious.
I think the reason why Jacob and Zac found Mob Psycho more manic compared to OPM is because Mob Psycho has better animation. Barring OPM's wonderful action scenes, that whole shows reeks of mediocrity while Mob Psycho always looks good. Mob Psycho is also a playground for animators which results in some animation of idiosyncratic quality. To me OPM isn't funnier a anime, considering it has 3 jokes and one of them is homophobic.
As to what Mob's powers are metaphor for, I think this was made quite explicit in one the earlier episodes. Mob's psychic powers are just his complex, they make Mob stand out, they do him no good and he is constantly trying to suppress them.But at the end, they make him unique and he can use them for greater good. It is like Rudolph's red nose or whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2