• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Conventions So Expensive?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
IMO the bigger conventions are pretty much worthless to go to as most seem to (Speaking for the British con scene) have been hijacked by Nintendo or what ever the latest bloody game related thing.

May I ask which cons do you mean, I've personally never bothered with MCM Expo because people have warned me it's basically one big dealers room and, well I can’t be bothered to drag myself to London or Birmingham for that. Hence why when I do go to conventions outside the local area I tend to go for the medium sized ones which actually have higher ticket prices than MCM and LFCC and what not but are generally worth the expense because of the quality of the fan run panels and other things. I have been to Newcastle Film and Comic Con because hey its only a Metro ride away so why not, but going to London for the same experience just doesn't appeal unless the get a megastar guest.

MetalUpa1014 wrote:
This may or may not be an option for people, but I highly recommend actually volunteering at the conventions themselves. Volunteering means that they give you free admission so that's already saving you the cost of entering. If you're willing to dedicate a few hours of your time for the volunteer work, you're still given plenty of leftover time to walk around the floor, go to booths/panels, buy stuff,

Um that must be an American convention thing, I've never heard of a UK con letting you in for free for gophering/volunteering they have to pay full price too. Amecon has had discounts for former panel hosts for their next Ame for a few years now but I have never heard of registration being free for Gophers. That being said I can't speak for all UK conventions either.
otagirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
It's amusing how every person who responded to the question about the kids' spending ability took extreme offense on the assumption that the asker held contempt for the kids.

The wording of the question gave me impression that he was more puzzled rather than spiteful. And it's actually a valid question, since peoples lifestyles vary so much.

I for one, never received spending allowance from my parents, nor did I work part-time at around the age of 16 (I did that at 19), since I was too busy studying and playing music. To have enough money to pay for tickets and buy bagfuls of stuff is actually quite impressive and is definitely something I could not have achieved at that age.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
This brings up another fun difference between US cons and UK ones, whilst many of the large corporate conventions like MCM and Showmasters events are all ages same with Sunnycon the majority of the medium sized (small by US standards) conventions are 18+ due to insurance reasons and what not. It then usually swings back to being all ages again for the really small cons with minimal dealers rooms. So the people spending loads of money at cons in my experience are usually adults with jobs (well paying or otherwise) or spending their student loans.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Dextres wrote:
Quote:
You don't know how much those younger attendees saved up, for how long, or what their priorities are.

This last part here was the biggest highlight to me in the whole article and reiterates the importance of planning ahead in advance, which I like very much.

This is something I learned long ago vis-a-vis attending Anime Boston! Smile My savings for next year start with the pocket change I come home with this year. As for AB membership (I can't speak for other events), the cheapest price for next year is to pre-reg at this year--on average, it's a $15 savings from at-door.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I gotta ask this: Do the people running these conventions even grasp the concept of what an "anime" convention is supposed to be about?

My theory is that they do understand that, but it can be hard to assemble a panel of dealers (or guests) that are 100% anime-related, so they take the easier route and pick a few kinda-sorta-related guests as well. Or, due to budgetary concerns they go with the lower-hanging-fruit. It's much easier (and cheaper) to get the American dub actor for Shinji Ikari than it is to bring over Anno himself.

And the flipside happens too: I have attended many a "comic con" where you find plenty of sports cards, CCGs, Star Trek & Star Wars stuff, toys, video games, role playing stuff (D&D, etc.), and yes, even Anime goods too.

I don't have a problem with some of that stuff showing up at an anime con. But it should be a small minority.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Like Justin said, I'm surprised costs haven't gone up more at my local convention. However, I have noticed that registration has changed so that the cheaper pre-registration deadline is much earlier than it used to be. Some of that, I'm sure, is to save the staff the trouble of dealing with a rush of paperwork and payments too close to the convention, but the added price of "at-the-door" registration can't hurt. They've also gone to a system where your per-registration cost goes up between certain dates, so you have to commit pretty early to save on the registration.

Another possibility is that as these conventions get more attendees, it'll take longer to process them all. If the people in charge of processing pre-orderers are pushing up against their deadline in anticipation for a convention, it'll make sense to push the pre-registration deadline earlier so they have the time needed to handle all of the people who sign up at a satisfactory quality.

Shiflan wrote:
I'd like to point out that compared to similar events in the business world Anime conventions are actually surprisingly cheap.

I travel to many conventions on business, usually related to either manufacturing/machining, or the plastics industry. Like an Anime con they rent space in major hotels or convention centers. The admission fees are easily as high, if not higher, than my experience with attending anime cons.

Definitely. I think more people here should try going to conventions not at all related to anime, because in proportion to their size, anime conventions have pretty low ticket prices by comparison.

While it's definitely not a business or trade-show type convention, the three-day Arcade Expo 2016 this year was $40 for Friday, $50 for Saturday, and $25 for Sunday. (A three-day pass was $100.) It was literally just two rooms, their adjacent small rooms, and the connecting hallway. It had one room for panels, and its attendance was around 1,500.

MetalUpa1014 wrote:
This may or may not be an option for people, but I highly recommend actually volunteering at the conventions themselves. Volunteering means that they give you free admission so that's already saving you the cost of entering. If you're willing to dedicate a few hours of your time for the volunteer work, you're still given plenty of leftover time to walk around the floor, go to booths/panels, buy stuff, etc.

I've volunteered at Pittsburgh's Tekkoshocon twice already and plan on doing so a third time when it comes back next year. They even gave me a free second pass that I could give to someone, which I did. The work itself really isn't that difficult. Hours are flexible and you can choose where you want to be stationed. Give it a shot. It can actually be pretty fun at times too.

Don't forget that this flexibility means that if there's something you really want to go to, you can schedule your volunteering hours around it. Particularly if the convention is set during the summer, teenagers can volunteer to get their passes, and I'm sure this is what a large proportion of them do.

Shiflan wrote:
Very interesting. I had the opposite experience here in the US. Going to a mid-size con (A-Kon), I was disappointed that the dealer's room was half American comic books and one-quarter video games. I think there were a lot of sci-fi toys too. (not that I have anything against any of that, but what are they doing at an Anime con?). The guest list featured a handful of little-known American comic artists and the American dub voice actors for minor characters. Who wants to see any of that? Fast forward to Anime Expo. The guest list is over two dozen people flown in from Japan. Very important, big-name artists, directors, voice talent. Dealers room is 99% Anime goods. Totally different.

Regarding guests, that might just be the best guests A-Kon's team was able to find. I think it goes hand-in-hand with the previous Answerman question about companies not doing as many convention trips as they used to. The A-Kon people probably know that not that many people want to see these people but figure having them there is better than nothing.

Heishi wrote:
^ Maybe some people don't like to shop online.

Reading some of the comments here, I gotta ask this: Do the people running these conventions even grasp the concept of what an "anime" convention is supposed to be about? It's theme is supposed to be the nitty gritty: Anime and Manga. Not random western produced stuff like "Halo" or "Futurama"(Really? In an anime convention?).

Well, at least the local conventions I go here in the state I live in are about anime and they are not half bad for local conventions.

Heh, call me part of the problem...at Anime Expo 2016, I bought more stuff related to western animation than I did related to anime.

Freyanne wrote:
What does confuse me, is how I've seen some people go to a con, plan to be there for more than a few hours (going to be there for the full day/weekend), and only bring less than $50 total (if even that). Bonus points if they spend all of that money within that first hour. But if someone wants to do that, I won't stop them.
(I'm not talking about someone that is on a budget, literally can't bring more money for important reasons, young teenager on limited funds, ect.)

There are some people who like conventions but aren't interested in buying things. If you ever look at the comments list for the Dr. Ashens videos, for instance (whose main schtick is that he obtains bootlegs and bad-quality merchandise and discusses them), it won't take long until you find someone who likes certain things but will not buy any merchandise. Either they don't want to spend the money on it, or they just plain don't like the idea of having merchandise.

GracieLizzy wrote:
Um that must be an American convention thing, I've never heard of a UK con letting you in for free for gophering/volunteering they have to pay full price too. Amecon has had discounts for former panel hosts for their next Ame for a few years now but I have never heard of registration being free for Gophers. That being said I can't speak for all UK conventions either.

Getting a pass by volunteering is a standard thing at American conventions (not just anime, but any con open to the public). I'd guess it's an incentive to get volunteers to actually work, as you're not going to get nearly as much help without some reward at the end.

Shiflan wrote:
My theory is that they do understand that, but it can be hard to assemble a panel of dealers (or guests) that are 100% anime-related, so they take the easier route and pick a few kinda-sorta-related guests as well. Or, due to budgetary concerns they go with the lower-hanging-fruit. It's much easier (and cheaper) to get the American dub actor for Shinji Ikari than it is to bring over Anno himself.

While I would agree it's easier to get Spike Spencer than Hideaki Anno, I wouldn't consider him a lower-hanging fruit, as he's a very experienced voice actor who knows exactly what he's doing and has voiced some other notable roles (Hanataro Yamada in Bleach, Arakune in BlazBlue, Rolo Lamperouge in Code Geass).

And as a dub person, I'm more interested in the English-language voice actors anyway.

A lower-hanging fruit would be someone in the English language dubbing scene who has never had any major roles, like JB Blanc, or someone who's only just gotten started, like Chris Guerrero, who so far has exactly one anime role (Gekko Moriah in One Piece). Even then, I'd appreciate them being there, and I'm sure they appreciate getting to be there.

From what I hear, Spike Spencer is someone who's really not all that satisfied with his job as a voice actor, so I have to wonder if he only goes to conventions reluctantly. He is pretty open about not liking having to voice Shinji Ikari, that's for sure. If that is the case, I'd consider it an achievement for a convention staff to coax him into going.
s0nicfreak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
[quote="Shiflan"]
Heishi wrote:

And the flipside happens too: I have attended many a "comic con" where you find plenty of sports cards, CCGs, Star Trek & Star Wars stuff, toys, video games, role playing stuff (D&D, etc.), and yes, even Anime goods too.

I would say that manga and by extension, anime certainly belongs at a comic con. That doesn't mean the reverse is true - for example I'd expect the My Little Pony comics to be sold at a comic convention, and would think nothing of it if the booth also had some MLP DVDs and toys; but a booth of X-Men stuff would be out of place at a My Little Pony convention. Star Trek & Star Wars have comic series so they fit in at comic cons. Role playing and CCGs, every comic book store I've ever seen hosts games of those so I can see how those fit. Sports cards and non-comic-related toys do bother me though; there are collector conventions for those and it just kinda feels like the seller finds them when he's looking for comic books and wants to unload them all in one place.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I would agree it's easier to get Spike Spencer than Hideaki Anno,

That's what "low hanging fruit" means. It doesn't mean that Spike is any less of a person than Anno is. It means that Spike is easier to get. I didn't mean to imply that any person was "better" than another; just easier (and cheaper) to access.

Quote:
And as a dub person, I'm more interested in the English-language voice actors anyway.

Yeah, guests will always be a matter of personal interest. For any guest you will have some fans who would love to meet them while others couldn't care less. Personally, I have little interest in voice actors--whether they be dub actors or the original Japanese. The only exceptions for me is when they have musical talent. My favorite guests are the creative minds behind a given show (or manga, or game)--the writer, the director, etc. And I'm sure that the opposite is also true; plenty of people couldn't care less about those same guests.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
IMO the bigger conventions are pretty much worthless to go to as most seem to (Speaking for the British con scene) have been hijacked by Nintendo or what ever the latest bloody game related thing.

May I ask which cons do you mean, I've personally never bothered with MCM Expo because people have warned me it's basically one big dealers room and, well I can’t be bothered to drag myself to London or Birmingham for that.

Each London event tends to have a major anime industry guest, along with the usual panels from the likes of Jerome, Jeremy, Andrew et al, and perhaps the occasional special screening. But the main appeal for me is the social occasion. Rounding up Twitter friends is what keeps me coming back.
Quote:
Um that must be an American convention thing, I've never heard of a UK con letting you in for free for gophering/volunteering they have to pay full price too.

MCM advertise volunteer slots through social media, if I recall correctly. I know not what this entails though; I would rather consume than provide, as it were.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go out and date myself here...

Having been an attendee, a volunteer, and for a handful of cons an "industry rep" I like some others on this site have seen this from multiple angles.... My earliest would have been Otakon back in the late 90's where it bounced around abit before finally settling in Baltimore.. and several other east coast cons.. some long gone and some still going today.. AnimeNext, and AnimeUSA are 2 I can think of. I never really considered the cost of admission to a convention to be really all that expensive... considering its a multi day event and up until recently most events are included in the Admission price.

What was pointed out was the dealers rooms, and for some to an equal extent the "Artists Alley" These are where most Attendees spend most of their $$ and like anything else this can get very expensive.. but this alone is not the biggest expenditure you average con goer will shell out... Hotel/Lodging and Food/Drink are probably more expensive then both the cost of admission and the Dealers/Artist Alley expenditures combined..
Where the con takes place can make these costs rise dramatically.. As an example.. My last venture to Otakon was 2012.. Hotel costs alone where 2x the costs of AX2012 mostly because of location and what the going rates are geographically.

There are ways to navigate this.. and keep costs down and most experienced cons goers are probably already familiar with most. One real quick tip.. join AAA... even if you don't have a car... get the cheap membership. Almost all hotels give pretty discounted rates for just mentioning it... Use this when dining out as well.. it WILL pay for itself and then some.. Pack food with you.. a cooler with drinks and food will save you $$.. plenty more tips just ask around.

On the volunteer side, at least in my experience volunteering has its perks depending on how much time you offer.. these range from T-Shirts/Merch.. to admission either free or greatly reduced and in 1 or 2 instances lodging. But for all the perks.. keep in mind volunteering while enjoyable can also get extremely stressful.. Not gonna point any fingers at cons but those doing this know what I mean.

Lastly when you attend the same conventions over and over you tend to run into the same people.. both vendors, organizers and guests.. I have created and maintained various personal and business relationships during these small windows called cons...

Factoring all this in... Yes anime conventions are expensive... all hobbies are in one form or another. How much you choose to spend depends on yourself and what your looking to get out of the con experience.

my .02 cents
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Hotel/Lodging and Food/Drink are probably more expensive then both the cost of admission and the Dealers/Artist Alley expenditures combined..
Where the con takes place can make these costs rise dramatically.. As an example.. My last venture to Otakon was 2012.. Hotel costs alone where 2x the costs of AX2012 mostly because of location and what the going rates are geographically.

Lodging I can understand as being insanely expensive, but I'm not sure where you're dining if the food you eat per day costs as much as the hotels per night.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon..
I'm not sure I understand where this statement is coming from.. in my example the costs of Lodging and food were roughly twice as expensive as the LA con..

Baltimore has some very expensive hotels... while I have not been there as of 2012 it might have changed but I doubt it.. One of Otakon's detractions IMO has always been hotel prices.. It has always been one of the pricier cons to attend.. And unfortunately I do not see the move to DC as a positive thing.. either price wise or Safety wise.. but that's another topic.. These costs at least for Baltimore are due to the limited number of rooms available.. and the number of people looking for lodging.

On the flip side.. AX and LA in general has more hotels available for it.. and the average pricing seems to be cheaper.. I'm no expert on this.. and again my last dealing with Baltimore was 2012.. but i can get lodging for sub $200 a night with parking as of 2016 in LA... can you do that in Baltimore?.. serious question..
This price then gets divided if you have people sharing your room... basic math.

As for food.. again basic math.. lets assume you spend between $10-$20 a meal.. so 3x $10= $30 X3 days $90 just on basic meals.. now if your like most people $10 is not gonna cut it.. so lets say $20 a meal $60 a day... X3 days $180.. which puts you quite near the cost of the room..

hopefully that cleared up the point I was trying to make..
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
$10 a meal? $20 a meal? Just where are you eating?
s0nicfreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the $10 - $20 a meal. Maybe there is a McDonalds nearby where I can spend about $6 a meal but I certainly don't want to eat McDonalds 3 times a day for 3 days. Pretty much everywhere else it's going to cost $10 - 20 a meal. Where = whatever restaurants or food trucks are near the convention center/hotel. The last time I ate something at a con other than McDonalds, it was a burger and fries from The Fat Shallot and that was $14. (And the last con I went to, the convention pricing on the hotel was $99 per night. So yeah, food total can cost more than the hotel room per night.)

If the convention is in a hotel with a restaraunt and I want to eat there, or if I want to get something delivered to a hotel room then it's more like $50 for a meal. I've only ever done each of those once.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
That's the downside to Animenext moving to Atlantic City, hotel prices are insane... Because well, it's Atlantic City.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5