• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragonar Academy

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
Amazon Kindle has banned further digital issues of Dragonar Academy to be released on their platform. Comixology has done the same. Kanokon also got chopped for digital release.

If you want more Dragonar Academy you have to get it from Barnes & Noble for their Nook platform or the BookWalker Global reading app.

Guess Amazon is getting more like Apple everyday.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
the Dragonar Academy books are still being published by Seven Seas, aren't they?

I have not tried Dragonar yet, but this makes me want to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
the Dragonar Academy books are still being published by Seven Seas, aren't they?

Yes they are. And Amazon is still selling the physical copy manga, but for some reason they think the digital version will corrupt our poor souls. Seven Seas said on AskFM that it was for content reasons. Which makes no sense since Amazon is selling the physical copies and they are even selling the anime via Prime.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Touma wrote:

Yes they are. And Amazon is still selling the physical copy manga, but for some reason they think the digital version will corrupt our poor souls. Seven Seas said on AskFM that it was for content reasons. Which makes no sense since Amazon is selling the physical copies and they are even selling the anime via Prime.

It's Amazon/Comixology's platform, so they have final say over any digital releases that they personally convert and sell through it...even when the ebook they're declining to carry is a New York Times best selling series.

The same doesn't carry over to print, as they're purchasing books from a distributor to sale.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:

It's Amazon/Comixology's platform, so they have final say over any digital releases that they personally convert and sell through it...even when the ebook they're declining to carry is a New York Times best selling series.

The same doesn't carry over to print, as they're purchasing books from a distributor to sale.

To a degree you are right. But I am not renting a service, I am buying a book to own.

It makes no sense to ban the release of a digital book, but still sell the physical copy of it. When I picked the Amazon Kindle over the Nook, I didn't think I would have to be dealing with book banning issues. Perhaps I was naive, but I never figured Amazon to be tearing pages out of Apple's playbook.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
@TarsTarkas

I would argue that a retailer declining to sell a specific book is not the same thing as a book being banned by civil authorities. However, since we are talking about Amazon it is a moot point as the result is the same, at least for the Kindle platform. Unfortunately Amazon, while not quite a monopoly, is enough of an 800 pound gorilla that they can do what they want without regard to the publisher or prospective customers. Apple is basically similar in this regard.

I suspect that the reason they are willing to carry the book in one format but not another has to do with both the size of the company and the fact that to convert the manga to their format they have to look at it. I'm sure that if they had people reading all the books they carry that there would be a lot of them discontinued.

Unfortunately this is the effect of one company controlling such a large portion of the market. Diamond has the same effect on comic shops. Several years back they said they would not solicit additional books in any series that failed to meet specific sales goals. This effectively ended several manga and manhwa titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1