• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mekakucity Actors/Kagerou Daze Gets More Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
And you both realize Jin wasn't the anime's director, right? Nor did he get to choose how many episodes the series got, and a ton of other crucial things.

Neither did Shaft.
BrainBlow wrote:
The actual style of the anime is unquestionably that of Akiyuki Shinbo's direction, whom also was the actual director.

There were two directors, though. I'm sure he/she also had some input.
BrainBlow wrote:
And if Jin was put in charge of much more than that then it was still Shaft who hired him, a (at the time) 23 year old musician with no experience within the anime industry, to do so.

How do you know he didn't want to work on it? He is the original creator, after all. You're also forgetting the involvement of Aniplex. This was a joint collaboration between Aniplex, Shaft, and Jin, as well as probably many others. They all have some responsibility.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Reload might be done right this time.
Korogoro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:

For anyone unfamiliar with the source material, it was just a dreadful bore of never ending, uninteresting monologues about the story that still said basically nothing. And the first episode is unfortunately the best one out of the bunch.
And for anyone who was a fan of the source material it was even worse.

Been a fan of the project for 5 years, I agree 100%
I'm not saying it was only Shaft's fault, it was also Jin's first time directing an anime, you can't blame the man for not doing a perfect job.

Let us hope this is not related to the first anime so we can pretend it never happened.
Happy August 15th, everyone.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Korogoro wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

For anyone unfamiliar with the source material, it was just a dreadful bore of never ending, uninteresting monologues about the story that still said basically nothing. And the first episode is unfortunately the best one out of the bunch.

Been a fan of the project for 5 years, I agree 100%
I'm not saying it was only Shaft's fault, it was also Jin's first time directing an anime, you can't blame the man for not doing a perfect job.

Let us hope this is not related to the first anime so we can pretend it never happened.
Happy August 15th, everyone.

Well you kind of can since like they always do they advertised this and him like he's some kind of genius that will blow everyone away with his talent if you give him the reigns. Aniplex really seems to love giving these positions to people that are woefully unqualified and jumping them ahead in the production position ladder for purely commercial reasons when common sense and industry culture has historically indicated you work your way up and gain experience over time by demonstrating some form of talent and success within the actual industry. In this case somebody would start as an episode script writer, do some particularly strong episodes that are well received then eventually work their way up to being a series composer over time. None of that seems to matter anymore cause I guess the logic is if we get the original author/composer to write the scripts that gives it "authenticity" and screw it if he shits the bed completely cause we'll still make money and can just market them down people's throats as totally awesome at their job anyone even though all evidence dictates that's not always or even regularly the case.

That's the attitude I continue to get from industry decisions and announcements when I read between all the lines and propaganda. It's purely about trying to bilk large and fanatical fan groups for short term profits now rather than making good shows that will last (both in terms of episode count and the test of time) and please even the majority of the originals source fans (let alone make new or unexpected ones) which the first season obviously didn't. That and it's kind of run like it's just a music industry now and we always need more of the exact same ideas for plots or special appeals. Just pathetic and paints it as a schlock low standards entertainment medium that outside of gullible teenagers I'm not seeing a way to build on it's audience the way it did in prior decades even with increased internet access. Yeah the industry makes as much money as it ever did but is it really worth it considering the crap products we've been getting lately and that animators are still underpaid and overworked.

I just don't feel like supporting it anymore and wish people would be a little more critical of the decisions the industry makes without being afraid somebody on the internet is going to call them a hater or something cause IMO there's tons to criticize right now. I wish somebody would do something to change my mind, but I don't know it just doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon if ever cause everyone just seems perfectly okay with this status quo of crap where shows get cancelled and planned for a full on reboot after 4 episodes or just have piss poor quality control in 2016. As long as they have x popular person or theme song artist on board people don't seem to give a crap if the show is an incoherent mess.

WikiSonic wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:
And you both realize Jin wasn't the anime's director, right? Nor did he get to choose how many episodes the series got, and a ton of other crucial things.

Neither did Shaft.
BrainBlow wrote:
The actual style of the anime is unquestionably that of Akiyuki Shinbo's direction, whom also was the actual director.

There were two directors, though. I'm sure he/she also had some input.
BrainBlow wrote:
And if Jin was put in charge of much more than that then it was still Shaft who hired him, a (at the time) 23 year old musician with no experience within the anime industry, to do so.

How do you know he didn't want to work on it? He is the original creator, after all. You're also forgetting the involvement of Aniplex. This was a joint collaboration between Aniplex, Shaft, and Jin, as well as probably many others. They all have some responsibility.

People always forget the involvement of Aniplex and go directly to blaming studios when Aniplex calls the shots on so many anime now and they've painted a wide and blatant pattern of mismanagement and doing things solely for commercial reasons that mess up promising shows and waste some real talent on absolute commercial crap regardless of what studio they pay to animate their projects. I don't know how so many people still haven't noticed (though some are finally starting to albeit a few years after I did) but I guess they just buy into their endless marketing and shilling that much and anyone that criticizes them is just a "hater". I mean there at the center of so many controversial yet massively hyped shows and projects from Guilty Crown to Aldnoah Zero to Valvrave to Kabaneri of The Iron Fortress to this seasons Rewrite and Qualidea Code and yet people still struggle to connect the dots when they might as well already be.

Anyway people really need to pay more attention to production committees and less to studios because the latter really aren't the problem with a lot of these things and are literally just following orders from up on high which usually amount to things like make this scene sexy or find a way to save money on this sequence if possible. It's not like companies like Aniplex aren't pushing their names on things every chance they get and self-glorifying their culture of exploitation and wasting resources after all.
limmaestro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Loved Shaft's animation style. Unfortunately, the 1st season was way too rushed.

The original vocaloid songs are amazing.

The anime exists to promote the songs - I love the songs, therefore I love the anime series too. As long as the songs are good, the rest doesn't really matter much for a music franchise like this.

That's purely my personal opinion of course, and you're welcome to think otherwise.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
WikiSonic wrote:

How is that even relevant?
And Jin isn't the sole owner of the IP. He's got publishers for everything.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
If SHAFT is really 'fired' from this title project (although I think it's not entirely their fault, they've made well-done series, but a particularly poor series composition for this one, probably due to the 1-cour format which is just too short for the layered plot of the source material) I hope the chosen studio will continue to give it a stylish (either visually or storytelling-wise) direction.
I'd say Bones or MAPPA, or even Ufotable (who seems to be specializing at depressing anime, lol)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought Shaft had done a bad job of adapting this 'till I read the books and just found out they're just kind of bad like the anime was. Shaft did absolutely nothing to elevate the material though, so there's that.

I don't know if I wanna put myself through this second season, but I probably will because enjoying your hobbies is overrated.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Was this show really that bad? The first episode confused the shit out of me and I dropped it.

It's also one of Shaft's worst works from a technical standpoint, too. Dramatic moment? Eh, just have the shot be of the characters standing really far apart from each other and shouting so that you literally don't have to animate anything.
Monologue?(which is 70% of the show) Just have it blandly show them talking, and then cut to a cheap "shaft cut" every few seconds to distract people from how terrible your animation is.

Basically, Shaft lazily tried to do the same style with this show as it did with Bakemonogatari, but it had none of that series' wit and soul. There was zero interesting dialogue, characters were hamfisted into the narrative, and the animation was lazy and uninteresting. Shaft went on to ruin Nisekoi the same way.
At one point the anime even ran out of ideas, said "fudge it" and just rubbed a bunch of manga pages in our faces. Literally just showing off pages from the manga to remind us how much better that thing is than the anime.
Add to that how it outright ruined the character arcs of certain characters, and a ton of unexplained nonsense and plot holes in the story that were invented only for the anime, and you have what was one of the worst series of 2014.
Oh, and the music was crap. Subpar covers of songs from the source material(which were also hamfisted), and the general OST was completely and utterly bland. And this is the adaptation of a series of music videos that are actually good.

The only good thing about it is the OP and ED. The OP was not directed by Shaft, but instead directed by the animator of the original music videos. (and shaft couldn't even finish animating it in time, so the first few weeks had an OP lacking tons of visuals)
The OP and the ED respectively do more "show, don't tell" storytelling than the whole season. Seriously.
Characterization? Done better, and subtly.
Plot points? Done better.
Style? Done better.
Easter eggs and tiny details with big relevance? The OP delivers.
Fun? Done way better.
And the full ED is a tearjerker for fans of the source.

I have literally spent more time listening to cover version of those songs than it took me to actually complete that dreadful show.

/rant

I didn't know the source at all. while i did enjoy a few of the episodes i was massively confused the whole time.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
I'm conflicted about more Mekakucity Actors because it seems like the source material doesn't, and can't, actually make sense as a linear narrative. Kagerou Project is literally a song cycle, with most of the songs providing a glimpse of a character or their backstory. It's not actually a discrete, coherent narrative. It's like the difference between a "concept album" versus a rock opera or a musical. And there end up being a lot of contradictions that sent me scrambling to the wiki to figure it all out when I blogged about the series my Tumblr.

The music's great (I have both albums), and I wish we'd gotten the first series as a physical release with all the new, non-vocaloid versions of the songs. But more of this franchise? Eh, I don't know…
moteless

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
NO! NO. No more freaking insulting butchery of the source material! Stop it! Stop it!
Was it not enough for you to ruin every single character the first time?

But what are you talking about? Who made the script of the series and therefore responsible for the nonsense was Jin.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
Shaft's adaptation was BAD, but we know how good the novel was... which lead us to more thinking whether they'll kill or mess it up again by rebooting the whole thing or giving us the "XX route" bad ending where the story is much more explained than the crappy-supposedly unexplained good ending route? and jesus Jin that 3D scene was just awful

many of the comments above are unfamiliar with the series itself, I cant blame them since not everyone is a fan of Vocaloid songs, well the anime was based off from a series of multiple songs<composer> sung by virtual synthesized singers called vocaloids, there's a novel version which I recommend ya'll to read, there's a manga also but the manga went off to spoiling the bad end route, still unclear ... the anime was just awful, course they had to cram almost all the important scenes that's why non-fans of the Kagerou Project would be left hanged and fudge confused, except for the fans of the novel/song itself.

But Im guessing that its gonna be [/i]hey nu surprise bs Shafts gonna do this again lel[/i] and will probly animate the supposedly 2nd part XX route, which will confuse more of its viewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2