• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What bugs me about sports anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinkverse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
This has been bothering me for a while now, specifically in anime about sports; they don't follow the rules of the sport, especially when it comes to misconduct or violent behavior, which to me is strange since young kids can end up watching them since they're about sports, take Captain Tsubasa for example.

The anime is from 1983; based on the 1981 manga, and they are in elementary school, playing football in a national tournament, as I said, they're in elementary school, keep that in mind, one character is attacking violently aiming right at the goalkeepers face, sure that one I can let slide, but in another game, the same character is purposely attacking other players, and ends up stabbing his stubs in another players leg, that would constitute a red card in my book, and I think to most referees to, and nothing happens, no card, no nothing, and that got me wondering, so I looked it up, and the cards where introduced in 1970 at the world cup, so you'd think the author would know the rules of the game?

So to summaries this topic with a question, do you think author's are purposely ignoring the rules of a sport when writing the material, or do they just don't care sometimes?

Tell me your thoughts on this.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
do you think author's are purposely ignoring the rules of a sport when writing the material, or do they just don't care sometimes?

This assumes the writers have a solid knowledge of the material in the first place, if a sports anime does follow the flow of the match will occasionally sound like a cited sports then you might have a case of the former with action blatantly leaned on in over the top fashion simply to keep the readers attention, if however the anime rarely resembles the sport beyond the animated equipment then you have a case where the writers were of the latter category.

It isn't unique to sports anime where writers can either exaggerate action or downright make things up to follow the character narrative, but it simply strokes people the wrong way that have actually played said sports and see the blatant misinterpretations.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Do they? I know that there is some exaggeration in a lot of sports anime, like huge dramatic moments, but I would not know that it is something that hangs over all sports anime.

Like one of the ones I am familiar with is Baby Steps, of which I remember there actually was a character who's whole bit was pushing his conduct just short of what might get him penalised, and as far as I could tell it was a good line just before causing a problem. I seem to remember a moment when one character started call the ref out on a bad call, something that was kind of fitting at the time, but was immediately made clear that trying to do so any further would cause problems. There is a chance that there were overdramatic parts, but as far as I can tell it was a good representation of tennis.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Maybe referees are just that bad, man. It happens often that misconduct will go completely unnoticed or just be not punished. Of course, anime/manga/fiction dramatizes it more because it's what they do, but it does happen. Just check out some Libertadores da América games, or some other not-European tournaments. Hell, watch the Olympics: the Brazil v Colombia game was full of players trying to hurt each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1