• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Old Anime To Younger Fans?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:

How is the mid/late 2000's any different now. I always feel like there was not a huge changed between the 2000's and 2010's compare to the 1990's and 2000's.

Actually, in all seriousness, I feel like the biggest difference between 2000s and 2010s is the HD resolution and the 16:9 aspect ratio that came with it (though 16:9 does not necessarily means HD, as proven by Astroboy 2003, which was done in widescreen, but not HD). That was really big change and anime studios had to do a lot of changes to deal with higher resolution and different aspect ratio. Of course this change came before 2010, I think it was around 2008 when most anime studios changed to HD, so late 2000s probably shouldn't count here, but still, in mid 2000s almost everything in anime were still 4:3 SD, while in 2010s, everything is 16:9 HD.

Moroboshi-san wrote:

No, not really. It is old if it is black-and-white. Doesn't mean it is bad though. World's best "real" movie is in black-and-white, mono sound and with only two special effects, one of which you notice, the other you don't (Casablanca from 1942).

Too bad my first introduction to Casablanca was through coloured version. I feel like real movie barbarian now Embarassed
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
There were a number of 16:9 shows from 2006-2008 shot in SD at 848x480 like Seirei no Moribito and, I believe, Baccano!. This was back in the DVD days when 16:9 shows were distributed on disc in the "anamorphic widescreen" format. "Widescreen" and "HD" didn't always go hand in hand.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Every time someone brings this up, I am remembered of one of the most frustrating discussions of my life, where a girl was really interested in Stand Alone Complex after seeing a clip of it, and having me explain the premise. But after hearing that it was from the early 2000s, she refused to watch it. When asked why, she said she didn't like how "old" anime looked. Even though she had already seen a clip of it, and I assured her that it looked better than 95% of anime coming out today, she still wouldn't do it.

Then give her the 2013 reboot. Smile If she really likes it, you can try to talk her into SAC again.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

How is the mid/late 2000's any different now. I always feel like there was not a huge changed between the 2000's and 2010's compare to the 1990's and 2000's.

Actually, in all seriousness, I feel like the biggest difference between 2000s and 2010s is the HD resolution and the 16:9 aspect ratio that came with it (though 16:9 does not necessarily means HD, as proven by Astroboy 2003, which was done in widescreen, but not HD). That was really big change and anime studios had to do a lot of changes to deal with higher resolution and different aspect ratio. Of course this change came before 2010, I think it was around 2008 when most anime studios changed to HD, so late 2000s probably shouldn't count here, but still, in mid 2000s almost everything in anime were still 4:3 SD, while in 2010s, everything is 16:9 HD.

I was mostly talking about animation style. I feel like there was a big chance with the animation art style with 90's and 2000's. It seems like after the early 2000's, anime started go more digital and have a more flashy look. The style in the 90's had a different style to it. With the 2010's so far, I feel like there is not a big difference with something from 2007 or 2008. Stuff like Karas, Shin Mazinger Z and Gurren Laggan still looks like it was made today.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I was mostly talking about animation style. I feel like there was a big chance with the animation art style with 90's and 2000's. It seems like after the early 2000's, anime started go more digital and have a more flashy look. The style in the 90's had a more style to it.

Ah, yes...Good ol' cel anime from the 1990's...I miss those days when female characters had a larger-volume hairstyles...
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
90's animation seem to be more darker looking with colors compare to now you ask me. I still remember anime in the early 2000's still had a hand drawing look to them like Mezzo Forte and Big O.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
peno wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

I was mostly talking about animation style. I feel like there was a big chance with the animation art style with 90's and 2000's. It seems like after the early 2000's, anime started go more digital and have a more flashy look. The style in the 90's had a different style to it. With the 2010's so far, I feel like there is not a big difference with something from 2007 or 2008. Stuff like Karas, Shin Mazinger Z and Gurren Laggan still looks like it was made today.

One of the reasons I consider Karas to be a classic.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Getting newer fans to appreciate stuff from even the mid/late 00s is already a significant accomplishment these days.

Well, Death Note seems to be an exception, considering we're continuing to see incidents about angsty high schoolers getting caught in class with Death Note replicas.

But I think Death Note is an evergreen show, as the digital animation is clean enough to hold up to modern anime (I forget if it's HD or not), and Light continues to be a character teenagers can easily relate to.

Stuart Smith wrote:
What's more interesting is a chunk of the shows in seasoned are aimed at kids, while most in beginner are adult shows. Lupin should be basic anime course 101.

-Stuart Smith

Only if you're watching anime to familiarize yourself with it. I wouldn't recommend Lupin III to someone interested in getting into anime without a very good idea of what they might want to see due to how dated it looks. Also because it's a comedy, and comedy is by far the most subjective genre of any medium.

whiskeyii wrote:
peno wrote:
You know, even if you know interests of someone, it may not be easy to get him or her on anime. My friend is big fan of mystery and crime scene shows, yet my try to introduce her to Detective Conan failed miserably. It was first the usual "it's animated, it's for kids" argument. When we got over that, she finally agreed to watch first episode with me, but then, she was like "wow, they turned teenager to little kid? That's stupid and lame." And that ended my tries to introduce her to anime.

Generally, even as a fan of Detective Conan, I don't think it's a particularly good intro to anime, especially for mystery fans. The stuff we in the US get on TV tends to skew towards darker themes and more complicated setups, and Conan, while it can get serious, is pretty much a kid's show. Plus it's got that "awkward art style" hurdle to clear.

Personally, if your friend is willing, I'd try again with Monster. It's got a super-realistic style and tone that projects a very strong "not for kids" tone. Not the whole thing, because it's very long, just until the episode where the Big Bad makes his grand entrance. Then I'd leave it up to your friend. Or, if you know your friend is into cyberpunk or sci-fi, go with the much more manageable Psycho-Pass.

The thing is that there will be some people who, no matter what you try, will not be into anime. If they wind up disliking a recommendation THAT much, at the very least, I'd say to give it some time to cool down first before trying again. If the second recommendation backfires too, then I'd count that person as done.

As diverse as anime might feel to an anime fan, anime is, plain and simple, not for everyone.

yuna49 wrote:
You would show people the episode with enormous spoilers? Watched in context episode ten is stunning (perhaps my favorite single anime episode of 2011), but I'd never show it on a stand-alone basis.

If they're just getting into anime, then those spoilers will mean nothing to them because they have no context or frame of reference. I think I was thinking of it in terms of a quick run-down of anime though, and a way to get the gist of a series in as few episodes as possible, particularly if they have no intention of watching the rest of the series.

That being said, my judgment may be kind of clouded in how I am spoiler-proof, meaning I do not get emotionally negatively impacted by spoilers. I'm the sort of person who will read all of the spoilers for a story before I get into it.

relyat08 wrote:
I like the idea of a class setup, though I like critical analysis and discussion in general. I'm not sure how many other people would be interested in something like that in what seems like a pretty casual anime club setting though. Personally, I find that discussing something almost always makes it more interesting to watch, and definitely gives me motivation to continue watching something though, so it might be worth it. Especially if you want to get them into something a little more niche or experimental. You could show them something like Tatami Galaxy and definitely have plenty to talk about. Especially with a college audience. I do think Paranoia Agent, like you previously mentioned, is another one that works well in a set up like that. Especially if you are just doing one episode at a time.

I think it depends on the group. At the 4-year college I was at, there'd be people interested in consuming media and then discussing and analyzing it afterwards, and there'd be people simply interested in watching. The class I mentioned was undoubtedly the former, but I think it's obvious that there would be discussion and analysis due to the fact that it was a class. (I also followed the format of that class in my thought about Madoka: One episode per series, and chosen to try to best represent the series as possible. Undoubtedly, if that class is still available now, and it isn't, Madoka would have certainly been screened.)

At the community college I went to prior, however, it would've been impossible to set up an anime club or class. It had an incredibly stern and serious atmosphere to it. I think the college was made mostly of people who had failed to get into a four-year college and intended to transfer, and as they see it as their last chance, they want to waste no time.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Only if you're watching anime to familiarize yourself with it. I wouldn't recommend Lupin III to someone interested in getting into anime without a very good idea of what they might want to see due to how dated it looks. Also because it's a comedy, and comedy is by far the most subjective genre of any medium.

Tonally the green jacket series is a lot less comedic than the red and pink jacket seasons. Whereas the Blue jacket series is more balanced between the drama, action, & comedy.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
I hate this seperation this is new this is old ... especially when you talk about anything before 2000 ... come on i have seen anime from the 1950's and read manga from the 1940's and i do even own some older stuff then that cause i have a general interest in in not because i was saw it as a child cause i was just born in 1992 !!!!

All i can think of is because of this casuals then only want sparkle digital animation i don't get all the stuff that i want ...while hand crafted stuff looks way better and it actually has soul to it !!!!
But i still take best of both worlds (just look at my user name) but i have to say lot's of anime being made today is either entry level shounen or commercial Japanese Otaku stuff ... i don't actually care for, while older stuff just keeps on giving !!!
One can also say that the medium used to be more badass especially in the 80's where now more stuff is either for (little) kids or perverts ...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
You could show them something like Tatami Galaxy and definitely have plenty to talk about. Especially with a college audience.

Seriously? Maybe if it had a dub, but if that had been the first anime I'd seen outside of the major shounen or kids' shows, I'd have said no thanks after the visual and verbal onslaught of the first episode. Unless they're speed readers or someone has their finger on the pause button, 40% of the subs will go by unread, and 80% of the visuals will go unnoticed while they're desperately trying to keep up with the subs. Then there's the Endless Eight aspect of it...

I know people really love Tatami Galaxy, and I can appreciate that it has major rewatch value because it's so packed, but I've tried 3 times to get through it, and the farthest in I think I've managed is episode 5, maybe 6. I finally gave up, having seen enough to know that continuing to torture myself with it was pointless (if it ever gets a dub, I might try one more time). Smile So while I still think it's a title people should check out for themselves, it's the last thing I'd show a novice as an anime sampler.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
^I mentioned that one purely for it's potential for academic study. I don't think it would be a good one to show to someone outside of a class setting, unless you know their tastes very well, and think they'll like something like it.
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The image you guys chose to represent "old anime" for this article on the front page is Paprika? God help me, I must be ancient...
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
The image you guys chose to represent "old anime" for this article on the front page is Paprika? God help me, I must be ancient...

Paprika embodies a lot of aspects of older anime visually and narratively, and the majority of newer fans would probably consider it "old". It's exactly the kind of thing you would have to sell to a newer fan to get them to watch it, hence it's relevance here.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
For the life of me I will never understand why anime fandom seems so hyper-focused on new content, to the point where I've seen people refer to shows made five years ago as " too old," which to me is the height of insanity. The strangest part is that it's something I don't see in other media fandoms. Western animation buffs regularly praise TV series from the 90s, and of course the Golden Age of Looney Tunes is held up as the holy grail of all animation before or since. Even the most casual movie buffs freely watch and enjoy films made decades before they were born. General TV fans think nothing of binge-watching shows from more than a decade ago, if not even far older. Retro gaming has become huge over the past several years, and even the most casual dudebro Call of Duty fans regularly point to an earlier title in that series as their favorite. (Hell, I can't count how many people I knew in college brought along their decade-old N64s for the sake of playing some inebriated Mario Kart rounds. Very Happy) And I dare you to name a bibliophile who hasn't enjoyed works that are centuries old by now. So if old stuff is awesome in all of those other forms of media, then why is anime fandom so myopic in its love for the here and now?

Honestly, if I were recommending anime series to a new fan, I can't think of a single show made within the past few years that I'd pass along: not because nothing good has been made in that time period, but mostly becuase I think any piece of media needs a few years of reflection before one can truly grasp where it stands in the overall corpus of works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8