• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Announces PlayStation Now Cloud Gaming on PC, DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty big. Of course PS NOW is only PS3 games so it won't cannibalize it's current console business.

Though if both Sony and Microsoft are going to frequently refresh hardware, then that beats the appeal of a console gen with longevity, and we might as well all wait for the inevitable streaming-only future.

On the plus-side you'd always have the top of the line graphics.

On the minus side, there's latency and spotty Internet connections and bandwidth limitations. Plus you can never own anything ever again. So if something gets pulled, it's likely gone forever.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
This is HUGE news. This actually sounds really neat since it'll be on PC. I'm actually excited for this! And it'll be cheap to buy too. Although, what will happen to consoles in the future if this is the new route. I'm sure this is just a small alternative but still. Hope this works out! Nice job sony. Well played.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Plus you can never own anything ever again. So if something gets pulled, it's likely gone forever.

Your fears are one of the MANY reasons I basically gave up on consoles. Right now of course there's still physical games...sometimes. A LOT of Japanese games are being released digital-only already. On PC this is a non-issue since you download the entire game and people end up packaging it for archiving purposes. As long as we can download games, smart people on PCs will find a way to back them up. Streaming-only though? GG.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
I don't think the world is ready for streaming-only gaming nor will it be for quite some time (primarily an issue the reliability/speed of networks). To be honest though, I can see the appeal.

Imagine access to games being as simple as access to services like Netflix or Hulu with a vast catalog of new and classic games. Your physical hardware not mattering (beyond a supported controller) because all the heavy work is being done on a virtual machine that could blow away any consumer grade box. The ability to migrate your game from anywhere to anywhere without lugging around a console.

Of course that's just the hopeful future with plenty of pitfalls and caveats along the way. More immediately interesting is the potential of the dualshock 4 as a computer gamepad,. that track pad paired with the better gaming layout of the dualshock could provide a very usable peripheral.
3rdHalf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
WOW! This is big! Surprised
Because both Sony and Microsoft have given hints, that release of next console generation is unlikely - it is logical step, to have some involvement in PC gaming.

I would speculate, that with this streaming experiment Sony is just dipping their toes into PC market.
What makes me the most curious is, if this experiment is successful enough - what would be Sony's next step?
Stullz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Just an fyi for all the people whom believe this is a huge thing... Sorry, but easily installable drivers and apps have been available since practically day one for the DS4 controller to work on pc. See Input Mapper for example. https://inputmapper.com/

Sony's dongle may only be beneficial for those who want to use NOW... I don't know. The tech might limit use somewhere on one end or the other.

For those just looking to use the controller on pc to play pc games/emulators etc... just find a driver/app for it and save 25 bucks. (Sony could have easily released a driver for free just like microsoft does with the 360 and One controllers.) If the dongle is required for motion tracking reasons... then its a different story.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome!! Can't wait to play Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 on PC!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
Just an fyi for all the people whom believe this is a huge thing... Sorry, but easily installable drivers and apps have been available since practically day one for the DS4 controller to work on pc. See Input Mapper for example. https://inputmapper.com/

Yeah, the whole thing is a giant rip off / scam. All they need to do is put out an official windows driver for the controller (which should be free). I use the program you are suggesting, but some people have problems with the blue tooth disconnecting. Sony could probably put out a driver that would fix that issue if they wanted and also replace the need for input mapper, but no apparently after you buy their controller they want you to buy another $25 adapter... what a load of crap.

If you have a laptop, it pretty much guaranteed has blue tooth. You can get a blue tooth usb thing for way cheaper. Or just use a usb cable because you're not likely to be gaming on a pc from across the room like you might with a console.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:

Sony's dongle may only be beneficial for those who want to use NOW... I don't know. The tech might limit use somewhere on one end or the other.

For those just looking to use the controller on pc to play pc games/emulators etc... just find a driver/app for it and save 25 bucks. (Sony could have easily released a driver for free just like microsoft does with the 360 and One controllers.) If the dongle is required for motion tracking reasons... then its a different story.

If people wanna save 25$ so bad that they use unoffical software, maybe they should just buy a cheaper gamepad than the DualShock 4. Many rip-offs available.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Furuzaki wrote:
If people wanna save 25$ so bad that they use unoffical software, maybe they should just buy a cheaper gamepad than the DualShock 4. Many rip-offs available.

There currently isn't a $25 alternative to the unofficial software, and the DS4 is the best controller (aside from maybe the xbox elite controller which I've never used).

It also isn't (to me) about $25 being a big deal. It is more that the fact they won't just put out a driver for their hardware for free like pretty much everyone else is spitting on their customers.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
for free like pretty much everyone else

There is like only three home gaming consoles, X-box One, PS4 and WiiU.
Does Nintendo have a free software to use the Wii controller on PC wireless?
Xbox One controller need a dongle to use wireless on PC. There might be free software on the web, but officially microsoft says "buy this dongle to use the controller wireless on pc"

Who is this "everyone else" that allows free wireless pc usage with their gaming console controll? Not Microsoft, thats for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1