• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Touched By a Galaxy Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
A line in the column is clearly meant to have a link to a video review of Galaxy Angel from 2009. (I couldn't find it on ANN proper, where I'd first seen it years ago, but there's a channel on YouTube branded as ANN's official one that had it)

I'm really pleased that TRSI will release Galaxy Angel. It's been somewhere on my 'to buy' lists for years and it stayed there because it kept being pushed aside for other things and thus less affordable as it became scarcer, which made it easier to dismiss as an unreasonable expenditure.

This kind of goofy, referential comedy often works well on me in anime. I guess that it's because the way that it's presented is disarming and the humor plays into a cozy, almost communal feeling.

Besides, it has a tall, forceful redhead with a damned monocle. SOLD!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
It's too bad the Galaxy Angel games weren't released in the West. I would love to play them.
Maybe today's companies like NIS or Sekai Project could bring it to the West.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Galaxy Angel rules! I got into it via the manga, which I still love for its commitment to the emotional lives of its characters: so dramatic, so sappy, so soapy! The author, Kanan, switched to drawing smutty manga for years after GA, but recently started a series about her troubled relationship with her father, Gutsy Frog/Dokonjo Gaeru author Yasumi Yoshizawa. Pretty dark and very fascinating.

I'm excited about the anime being back in print! My favorite episode is definitely the one where they're all hanging off the edge of a cliff the entire time. Or the one where they all go to a mixer.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
I love Galaxy angel it's one of those old shows that I still adore. I remember when i saw images back in the day and there was hardly any English info online until subs came out. In Japan I bought the PS2 games and played them with my basic Japanese and going along with the manga plot. I always wished the anime was like the real story, but I enjoyed the comedy regardless.

I still remember at AX 07 when the creator said he would promise to being it over to North America...well that was long ago. He said the inspiration was Star Wars and Sakura Wars.

I hope one day for some kind of reboot or revival,who knows?
Dolza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Even though I am a grumpy old anime fan, I never watched Galaxy Angel when it came out. I may have to now.

I am a big fan of Nadesico, though. It has the greatest re-cap episode in the history of anime, imho.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
That's funny and I didn't notice it before, but you're right Mike, RightStuf is the home of space comedies.

I have the first release (4 DVDs + LE box, which means I should have some figures packed away somewhere...) of Galaxy Angel, but never got the rest. While the first series was funny, I do remember it getting tiresome as it went on. Not sure if it was during the 2nd or 3rd season anymore, but I never finished it.
Still, the first two openings were fun Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2