• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shōnen Jump Authors Comment on Bleach Ending

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Bleach ended acrimoniously.

But glad its ended as it was like watching a train wreck, Something in the future might pop up to fill the time gap and so on. If not leave it be.

Who's that new captain and her vice captain thats just a big question mark. For an end 24 pages was too short but all all of the previous mentioned things are just my opinion.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Bleach has been nothing but a poor horse with a broken leg for years, unfortunately.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
At least Naruto ended up a pretty good resolution with Naruto:: The Last Movie. lol Bleach ain't getting that.
the fact that Naruto needed a movie instead to showing stuff in the actual manga is still pretty sad lol
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
I don't think any of those people actually read the ending.
they're not going to talk shit about his series or the ending in their comments, they're professionals (and I think the author of Gintama is friends with Kubo) but the I like the most here is Oda as he actually showed some respect for Kubo (something that some of his fans don't do but then again they shit on Kishimoto as well and we know that friendship)
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
I wonder what it means for the Japanese that many of these comments were just really samey. We got two "It had cool drawings, it inspired me, good luck!" and "15 years, you must be tired."

To be fair, even when it became terrible, I still thought that the designs were cool. I can't disagree with the people who said that.

I find it a bit funny that the people making One Piece and Kochikame said that Kubo must have worked hard by being serialized for so long considering how long they've been working on their manga. I think that even if they didn't like the ending, they understood some of the reason why it was terrible and pitied him a bit.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Must be weird seeing how none of these authors mentioned anything frustrating about how Bleach ended right?

We all know that Kubo's colleagues at Jump felt frustrated with how the story of Bleach left us with so many unanswered plot questions, butt that would be a slight towards the editorial department of Jump (i.e. their bosses - who were responsible for Kubo not having enough time to finish the story properly) so they obviously had to brush those thoughts under the rug.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:
Must be weird seeing how none of these authors mentioned anything frustrating about how Bleach ended, right?

We all know that Kubo's colleagues at Jump felt frustrated with how the story of Bleach left us with so many unanswered plot questions, butt that would be a slight towards the editorial department of Jump (i.e. their bosses - who were responsible for Kubo not having enough time to finish the story properly) so they obviously had to brush those thoughts under the rug.

Well, the point of the comments were to congratulate Kubo on finishing his work, not to bash him on the ending to his manga. Confused
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:
Must be weird seeing how none of these authors mentioned anything frustrating about how Bleach ended right?

Kubo had 4 years to finish, newer mangaka don't get that. I feel more bad about the newer then Kubo.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Somehow having Oda be the one to say "You must be so tired after drawing for fifteen years!" is kind of hilarious.

After reading the finale I get the impression that Kubo probably drafted it with the assumption that there would be more pages. Ironically for a manga that is so infamous for drawing things out, Bleach's last chapter feels really rushed. I did really love two things about it though: spoiler[Chad becoming a famous UFC champion, and the fact that the entire series ends on a comedic "EHHHHHHHHH?" take.]
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I went into this article expecting comments on how/why Bleach was rushed to its conclusion so abruptly, not a bunch of congratulations and farewells. Now I'm disappointed. Crying or Very sad Maybe one day we'll learn the cold, dark truth behind the matter. In the meantime, I might as well offer my congratulations to Kubo with this:

Allow me to reword it properly:

Conglaturation !!!

You have completed a great manga.

And prooved the justice of our culture.

Now go and rest our Kubo !
LegitSnivy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
At least Naruto ended up a pretty good resolution with Naruto:: The Last Movie. lol Bleach ain't getting that.
the fact that Naruto needed a movie instead to showing stuff in the actual manga is still pretty sad lol

I disagree with the "It's pretty sad that it needed a movie to end it." statement, and I really wish people would stop with that mindset.

Kishimoto was given the opportunity to write it, and he took it.
Just because he was given that opportunity in movie format doesn't make any of it sad at all.
His worth doesn't have to be in manga format.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:

I don't know why people keep insisting Kubo wasn't given enough time to write a proper conclusion to the series because Jump didn't give it to him. While pretty much ignoring all the stuff Kubo did that helped throw the story's pacing into flux.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
jeromeskee wrote:

I don't know why people keep insisting Kubo wasn't given enough time to write a proper conclusion to the series because Jump didn't give it to him. While pretty much ignoring all the stuff Kubo did that helped throw the story's pacing into flux.

I'm not sure what you mean

He got canceled and had to end it quick, i'd guess that this is how the ending was supposed to be but with just a lot of stuff cut out of it.

i could see all of that stuff being dragged out another year if it wasn't for being canceled.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Somehow having Oda be the one to say "You must be so tired after drawing for fifteen years!" is kind of hilarious.

It comes off as having a mocking tone to me, intentional or otherwise. In fact, very few of the comments seem really sincere. Sorachi seems the most sincere, at least.
Wyvern wrote:
After reading the finale I get the impression that Kubo probably drafted it with the assumption that there would be more pages. Ironically for a manga that is so infamous for drawing things out, Bleach's last chapter feels really rushed. I did really love two things about it though: spoiler[Chad becoming a famous UFC champion, and the fact that the entire series ends on a comedic "EHHHHHHHHH?" take.]

So, I read a summary of the final chapter, and wow spoiler[wasn't the first thing we learned about Chad that he didn't like fighting unless he was protecting someone? When did that change? I don't mind the pairings (much, RIP, IshiHime!) or the cute kids. Ishida became a doctor, so besides for him not getting a girl (that we know of), that's a good ending. Did Ichigo become a doctor, too? That seems...out of character? It would make more sense for Orihime to have taken over the clinic, she was always the healer of the group! She should of at least been shown as a nurse! Was it too much to ask for to see what Karin & Yuzu were up to, or should we be satisfied with a cameo? At least they got a cameo, though. Isshin (Ichigo's dad) and Ryuken (Uryuu Ishida's dad) didn't get cameos at all.
In conclusion, 15 years was a meaningful milestone for Bleach to reach {(15), One_Five, Ichi (1) Go (5)}, but I can't help but be disappointed with the epilogue. That, or I've been way too spoiled with multitiered epilogues and sequels of boys' fantastical adventure stories in the past few years--Naruto, of course, and Dragon Ball Z's very existence as an epilogue/sequel to Dragon Ball getting yet another run with new movies and a show, and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and many others...and Bleach doesn't even get a double chapter. At least the Next Generation kids are cute!]
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

spoiler[ It would make more sense for Orihime to have taken over the clinic, she was always the healer of the group! She should of at least been shown as a nurse!]

spoiler[Dude, people are already going gaga over Hime-MILF, Nurse Orihime on top of that would cause a fanservice overload to the point of heads literally exploding]

Anyway, it is fitting that the series ends at its fifteenth year, even if the ending is bizarrely disappointing. I thought Naruto's ending was weak, but this is a whole other level. Clarifying that, it's like Kubo had the ending written already but was forced to show it prematurely. It's not bad on its own, but when taken in context with everything that was happening in the final arc it just leaves a lot of unanswered questions. For a series whose main criticism was glacial pacing where not a whole lot happened (especially with the Hueco Mundo arc post-Grimmjow, though that could be blamed on the editors forcing Kubo to milk the Arrancar regardless of how bad an idea it was) this was weirdly rushed.

All in all, Bleach ends on low note after its anime also got unceremoniously canceled several years ago. Such a shame too as it was one of the three pillars of WSJ alongside Naruto and One Piece and had a unique style not seen in other two. But then the pacing dragged to a crawl, plot points were brought up and either dropped or contradicted, and the villains just became insufferable. Still, I don't regret getting into the series. It was one of the first series I got passionate about, really got into its fandom (for better and worse), and even got inspiration for my own writing from the highlights of the series. Maybe Kubo can make another series after taking a break and not have to deal with as many problems as he did during Bleach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5