• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Corpse Party: Blood Covered GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
looks like a pretty bad adaptation but im glad to see my favorite genre of lesbians, Blood Yuri, is represented on that awkward cover art
dlm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
looks like a pretty bad adaptation but im glad to see my favorite genre of lesbians, Blood Yuri, is represented on that awkward cover art

I'm only familiar with Corpse Party from TVTropes referencing, but my first thought was "Who is that hugging Miyafuji Yoshika?"

So... blood yuri?
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:38 am Reply with quote
It was on my To Watch list but now I'm going to give it a miss. Not a fan of Yuri.

Thanks for the heads up.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:57 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
It was on my To Watch list but now I'm going to give it a miss. Not a fan of Yuri.

Thanks for the heads up.

Well to be honest it only lasts the first volume really. It isn't anything serious either, just Seiko messing around. I don't think the cover really helps in terms of selling CP for what it is...

Having read the manga previously I think this adaption is one of the closest ones to the game you can get, so it is still pretty good. Unlike that damn ova. There are a few parts in the manga I actually prefer to the game as well.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
So, it's more like friendly playful 'Womance' as opposed to straight up romance, right?
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
So, it's more like friendly playful 'Womance' as opposed to straight up romance, right?

It's more a one sided thing on Seiko's side, as the review says, she does the typical groping thing you see in manga/anime so it isn't anything serious. Though she does genuinely love the other girl this is all that really happens which is why the cover kind of misrepresents it as it the story was never only about that; other than that:

I'll call this a spoiler just in case you don't want to know much though I won't give details on the matter but spoiler[the two girls are only really together in this one book too].

One of the things I've always liked about Corpse Party is that you can get pretty attached to the characters. This applies a fair bit more in the game so I'd highly recommend if you haven't played it. Obviously, if you enjoy gore too.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Lesbians isn't actually a "genre", a story can include them without being the "yuri genre". So anybody who sees lesbians and walks away deducing they don't like the "genre"... well.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of things of that nature and I'm getting mixed signals. So, I'm gonna sample the books and anime and if I find it it goes into further than fun innocent womance (sister-like bond) I'll just drop it.

Last edited by Topgunguy on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to break it to you, but there's no such thing as what you're describing. When ladies are gay, they are gay. There isn't really an "innocent" and "not innocent". To view media like that is just lying to yourself.

Though, from the sounds of it, this story is lying to itself too. So maybe you'll be happy enjoying that lie.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Okay, just be straight-forward please. Are there romantic yuri elements and a confirmed lez character? That's all I want to know.

Last edited by Topgunguy on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there's a miscommunication going on here. :-/.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
Okay, just be straight-forward please. Are there romantic yuri elements and a confirmed lez character? That's all I want to know.

I dunno, I didn't read it! I just wanted to point out how there's no difference between "innocent womances" (wtf is that) and lesbians. But from what I'm hearing, I'm pretty sure the writers think there is the same way that you do.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Seiko is canonically a lesbian in love with Naomi, but aside from some groping that is portrayed as a joke, there is no actual romantic content. She isn't even confirmed as a lesbian until the second game; her feelings are really just there to be fetishized. Admittedly I haven't actually read the manga, but if it stays close to the game, that's the way it is.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Topgunguy wrote:

I dunno, I didn't read it! I just wanted to point out how there's no difference between "innocent womances" (wtf is that) and lesbians. But from what I'm hearing, I'm pretty sure the writers think there is the same way that you do.

Not really, Seiko is confirmed to be genuinely in love with Naomi so it is basically confirmed but besides some of the characters being in love with each other there aren't really romantic elements in which people have outright relationships or have sex or anything if that's what topgunguy is worried about. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1